Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Picked up another pump 22 today, it's pictured with a 6A, I will leave it open for guesses to what it is right now.....more pictures to come.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gene
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was this an attempt to replace the Savage 29 with a lower production cost pump .22? If so, I glad to didn't go over.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fore end is a 29 variation fore end, 15 grooves, screw, 1 groove. The rest of it looks Savage too. I'm with Rick.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looks very similar to a Noble 33.

Pact

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is it MARKED Savage or Stevens or Springfield? If not, I'd agree--looks like a Noble.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The butt stock shape with the oddball fore end makes it look like a Noble. Or the other way around since the fore end actually looks like a pump fore end.

Gene, that is too fugly to be a production item. Gotta be an R & D piece. Out of Savage though.

Have you found the patent for it? Nick someone?

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
looks like a spiegel

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pact
Looks very similar to a Noble 33.

Pact
Definitely! ...and they are UGLY ....just like everybody says about this!!!!

It's pictured with a 6A for a reason - that's because I don't have a model 5 bolt action to show it with - the model 6 was based on the model 5 using many of the same parts - this is the R&D pump action version. This and the model 6 are based on Nicholas Brewer's design for the model 5 bolt action and all share some of the same parts
Some (possibly all) of Brewer's patents on these (almost all are only for the model 6)are - 2,320,403 - 2,296,242 - 2,290,156 - 2,289,621 - 2,271,576 - 2,224,758 - 2,223,093 - and 2,094,577 - this last one is the earliest I have found and is for the model 5, it's from 1937 and shows the lifer and feed mechanism that is common with the model 6 and this R&D pump - patent:2094577

Fredrick Wilcox also had one for an improvement on the model 6 feed mechanisim - 2,271,576

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You can see in this next picture that at standard model 6 trigger quard was used with some milling done for use on the pump - and it was already painted before modification.
[Linked Image]

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting piece Gene, how is it marked?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess I'm givin' up on trying "learn Savage"--shoulda started 40 years earlier! The puzzlers just keep on comin'!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Steve, It's got '004' stamped on the front left of the receiver and nothing else anywhere, not even a caliber marking - but I have not completely taken it apart or pulled the butt plate. I did notice on getting it home that it would feed but would not extract - once I found that I knew where to look and it then became obvious that the extractors are missing! ...anyone got a couple extras for an R&D pump?????? (I hope that ones from some version of the models 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7's will work).

Of all the patent I have seen that look to be for the models 3 thu 7 I have not seen one for a pump version. I think must have been made with the thought of having a lower priced pump that would share parts and go with the model 3 thru 7.

Gene
PS - Rick this couldn't have been an attempt at a lower priced replacement for the model 29 based on what I paid for it and what I have paid for my 29's!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I checked my Model 5 and Model 6B extractors. They look the same.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by GeneB
this couldn't have been an attempt at a lower priced replacement for the model 29 based on what I paid for it and what I have paid for my 29's!!!!

Ya' shoulda got it cheap with all those part missing wink grin

Did you stumble on this or did someone give you a lead?

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by GeneB
this couldn't have been an attempt at a lower priced replacement for the model 29 based on what I paid for it and what I have paid for my 29's!!!!

Ya' shoulda got it cheap with all those part missing wink grin

Did you stumble on this or did someone give you a lead?

But I didn't know all the parts were missing! I had never seen one before and had no idea how many parts it was supposed to have! ... and I almost 'stumbled' on it, he didn't quite have the case far enough under the table when I went back to look at it!..on sunday, the second day of the show. I got one the day before at another show - it's case was leaning against the wall out of the way so I couldn't 'stumble' on it. Some of these I have been trying to get for years and just recently have pried a few out.

Gene
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Your perseverance is admirable. With all the variations of rimfires in your stable you might be having more fun than some of the lever gun collectors shocked cool

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve99
I checked my Model 5 and Model 6B extractors. They look the same.

Well.....this gun takes a one piece formed sheetmetal extractor. Might have been another thing they were experimenting with...wish they would have just tiried to use common parts. I know that there are many guns that use this type extractor so I got some dimenstions to work with. I don't think this gun should ever be shot after looking at the firing pin - looks like it could snap with just one shot! This gun has some interesting design features with all the saftey issues covered, the hammer is held until the action is closed so that the gun will not fire until fully locked, but if the action is again opened almost all the way the hammer can be dropped without dry firing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The firing pin does not look sturdy. Is the cut out in the FP for the smaller pin?

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.