Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BertW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
(Large Post picture heavy) This is where you guys kick me out of the club. I have finished the 99C. I did not go the traditional route on the refinish. If this was a finely patinia-ed 99C with matching numbers, I would would have had the gun reblued. The finish I chose was developed by a dear friend of mine who has left this world. His sons now run the business and are doing a fine job. The finish (Black T) is used by some of the most elite military and law enforcement units in the country. It is very resistant to humidity, salt spray, etc. Many of my guns have this finish and I love it. The rifle is matte black and the lever is done in dark grey. In the sunlight it appears lighter than it is. The lettering highlights are for the pics and easily removed. On the stock, I used 10 coats of tongue oil and polished off the high gloss. If some of you guys don't like it, I'm sorry. The gun looks great and is ready for the woods. Enough jabbering, ya'll can start zing-ing me now.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/skullaero/99C003.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/skullaero/99C002.jpg[/img]

Last edited by BertW; 08/29/11.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bert
Here Comes the Zing. grin It Looks Great, Turned out very nice. Congrats on the restore to your likings.
Nice to see old stuff have some life back in to them.The wood Looks Great. Now ya have a all weather resistant not afraid to take out Gun.

Steve

Last edited by 1899sav; 08/29/11.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ZING ZING ZING looks kind of cool ,antique gun modern finish,workable ,useable ,
just not quite right grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bert,

Here comes your zing...and it's a real problem.

It doesn't live in my house. laugh

Very nice job on your "resto-mod" as they say in the hot rod community.

It is very good to see an old warrior spruced up and put back into service.

Thanks for sharing your treasure with us.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The lever as pictured is strange on a 99, but overall a beautiful redo Bert...I'd hunt it! Did they put the same finish on the tang sight...looks like it in the pic's.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The rifle looks great! The lever... would take some getting used to. grin

B
BertW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
The lever looks real light in the pics, but it appears darker in person. When I have the rifle inside the lever looks quite a bit darker. I thought about doing the lever in black, but on the 99 the lever has always been a contrast to the rifle. I had options to do the lever in tan, dark earth, light grey, OD green, dark grey and pink. The tang sight, and the original rear sight were refinished in Black T. Thanks for the compliments and zings!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like Teddy Roosevelt dressed up in Spandex grin.

Nice rifle for a snowy day.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you really wanted to get booted out of the club you could have sealed it with a pink lever!!

Nice work overall. Nothing wrong with making them usable again!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its all quite well done especially so when compared to most of the bubba'ed crap that is out there and I have no "issue" with the rifle but I can honestly say it would not get a second glance from me if it were for sale...

Andrew
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm workin' on startin' the Booted Members Cryin' Shoppe& Shed, Bert smile I'll save ya the good chair, by the fire smile I find ya good company, and I like the work on yer rifle. The untouchable quality pieces are beyond my reach it seems, so I'm playing the hand dealt. But, in the meantime...already started the "OMG, there it is", fund smile

"I hunt not to kill, but rather to have not played golf.."
-Orlando "Squawfish" de Gasket
Chainsaw Artist/Philosopher
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I friggen love it!!!!!!! grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Not what I would've done, but ok nonetheless. I would definitely have had the lever re-CC'ed.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
With the exception of the lever, I find the rifle quite attractive.

B
BertW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks again gents! The lever was something I pondered over and finally just had to pull the trigger. I wish I had the money to do the CC'ed lever. I looked around the internet and didn't see any cheap prices. I saved money on this finish by doing the assembly and disassembly and metal work myself.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5264490/1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Looks like a great hunting rifle !!! at least it still has wooden stocks!! just wont fall into the collecting category. Don

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
around 1990 i built a 7mm mag. on a model 70 action, and i had it done with a finish that i think was called T black. not black T. i wonder if it is the same stuff? i liked the finish, it looked good and was tuff. i got rid of the gun snd got back into 99s

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I was tempted to say I wouldn't mind a rifle finished like that for foul weather hunting (which it would be great for) then I remembered that I'm not gung-ho about hunting in foul weather anymore, so it would've been a moot point! If rain/sleet/snow is in the forecast I prefer to do my hunting in an easy chair by the fire with a glassful of single malt!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Hey its your GUN! I think its nice, your going to use it for hunting not to sit in a safe! Now Id like to see this rifle is a pic with a dead critter! can you do that? good hunting!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BertW
(Large Post picture heavy) This is where you guys kick me out of the club.

The work looks very well done and neat, so for a resto of a well worn functional shooter, I can't imagine anyone getting upset.

Now if you start asking "what is the hottest load it will take?", that will get folks upset grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,368
Posts18,506,502
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.