Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

"But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy has ever made...was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit and spoke from God." - 2 Peter 1:20-21

Do you believe Scripture is perfect truth? Or do you believe it just contains some general principles and guidelines that can be adapted for every age, culture or situation? Do you believe Scripture is the written Word of God? Or do you believe that Scripture is the words of men that were shaped by prejudices concerning culture and different views all through the ages and should be adapted to the modern age? Do you believe scripture is our authority for faith and practice? Or do you believe each person should do what they feel is right?

Here is the bottom line on the truth of the scripture. It is either complete, perfect truth, applicable for all times, or it is all a lie. There is no in between. There is no such thing as partial truth or relative truth. The decision you make as to the nature of the scripture will shape everything else that you believe about God, about Jesus, about life, and about morality.

rfth.org

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It's a book. Written long ago, and translated many times to fit whomever was translating.
Books were taken out of the Scripture and added as the victors saw fit.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Better stay away from the shellfish then and make sure not to poke fun at any old bald guys.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Amen

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
It's a book. Written long ago, and translated many times to fit whomever was translating.
Books were taken out of the Scripture and added as the victors saw fit.

It is true.

Yes, it has been translated and re-written many times, with books included and excluded as translators chose, but the core is the same.

Read "God's Secretaries; The Making of the King James Bible" by Adam Nicholson to get a feel for how that version was created. Explains a lot!

Our generation has the benefit of more, and more accurate translations of the historical documents that have been included and those excluded than any other age, and the list keeps growing.

The message is the same and the results are the same.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Agreed, it is still The Great Light.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My Bible tells me that "All scripture is given by the inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." And how this works in my life, when I get myself out of the way and place my reliance on God and His Word, confirms the absolute Truth of that passage, which by the way is 2nd Timothy 3:16.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
Here is the bottom line on the truth of the scripture. It is either complete, perfect truth, applicable for all times, or it is all a lie. There is no in between. There is no such thing as partial truth or relative truth.

"Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights." - Jonah 1:17

"And he went up from thence unto Bethel, and as he was going up that way, there came forth little children of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; Go up, thou bald head.
And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood and tare forty and two children of them." - Second Kings 2:23-24

Ahem.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neighbor,statements like this:

"Here is the bottom line on the truth of the scripture. It is either complete, perfect truth, applicable for all times, or it is all a lie. There is no in between."

are wrong.Not because they may turn folks off , but because you are in error.You are making claims for scripture that scripture doesn't make for itself.

The "complete,perfect truth " is Jesus Himself.Even Paul says we can't know all the truth in this life.

Those portions of the OT which are CLEARLY written as myth-albeit "myths of a different kind" [C.S. Lewis] contain TRUTH which may only be transmitted by analogy because of our limited ability to understand- are not true in the same sense the gospel accounts are true.

The bible is useful for believers.You make it an object of ridicule for non-believers with your blanket , erroneous statements.

The WORD is a Person that cannot be contained in a book.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bootsfishing,

If the Scripture is Truth, why do the women in church have short hair?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do people in church teach God's Flood in Noah's time didn't cover all the high hills under the whole heaven?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do the men in church have long hair?

If the Scripture is Truth, why don't the men in church lift their hands when they pray?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do people in church pray long prayers?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do women in church dress immodestly?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do people in church teach the earth is millions or billions of years old?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do people in church teach Jesus changed His mind?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by antlers
Here is the bottom line on the truth of the scripture. It is either complete, perfect truth, applicable for all times, or it is all a lie. There is no in between. There is no such thing as partial truth or relative truth.

"Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights." - Jonah 1:17

"And he went up from thence unto Bethel, and as he was going up that way, there came forth little children of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; Go up, thou bald head.
And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood and tare forty and two children of them." - Second Kings 2:23-24

Ahem.

Not Ahem, but Amen.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Bootsfishing,

If the Scripture is Truth, why do the women in church have short hair?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do people in church teach God's Flood in Noah's time didn't cover all the high hills under the whole heaven?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do the men in church have long hair?

If the Scripture is Truth, why don't the men in church lift their hands when they pray?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do people in church pray long prayers?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do women in church dress immodestly?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do people in church teach the earth is millions or billions of years old?

If the Scripture is Truth, why do people in church teach Jesus changed His mind?

That flawed people resist the Truth of scripture makes it no less the Truth or people no less flawed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
while scripture was divinely inspired the book is written by men, put together by men and further translated by men and men are fallible....

i do my best in living my life how i think i should and i dont beat my head against the wall about the interpretation of the entire book....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy has ever made...was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit and spoke from God." - 2 Peter 1:20-21

Do you believe Scripture is perfect truth? Or do you believe it just contains some general principles and guidelines that can be adapted for every age, culture or situation? Do you believe Scripture is the written Word of God? Or do you believe that Scripture is the words of men that were shaped by prejudices concerning culture and different views all through the ages and should be adapted to the modern age? Do you believe scripture is our authority for faith and practice? Or do you believe each person should do what they feel is right?

Here is the bottom line on the truth of the scripture. It is either complete, perfect truth, applicable for all times, or it is all a lie. There is no in between. There is no such thing as partial truth or relative truth. The decision you make as to the nature of the scripture will shape everything else that you believe about God, about Jesus, about life, and about morality.

rfth.org

Preach it, brother! smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally believe the Bible was written by men who believe they where inspired by God and since men wrote it and men interpreted it, then it is about 50/50 truth. If you believe 100% it is truth , then this is all that should matter to you and if you don't believe then lets just hope you are right when you go under.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
This could be a very interesting thread especially when you throw this into the equation. Talk about making ones head spin.

King James Version
New International Version
Revised Standard Version
The Living Bible
New Living Translation
World English Bible
New King James Version
New International Readers Editions
American Standard Version
New American Standard Version
Young's Literal Translation
Plain English Bible
New English Bible
Amplified Bible
Basic English Bible
Translator's NT
20th Century Bible
Modern King James Version
The Message
New Jerusalem Bible
Hebrew Names Version of World English Bible
Contemporary English Version
English Version for the Death
Good News Version
New Century Version
New Revised Standard Version
J. B. Phillips New Testament, modern English

And there's a new one suppose to released (may be out by now) this month. Common English Bible

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just don't see any reason for discussing religion on this, or any other forum.
Those that believe, believe. Those that don't, don't.

No amount of acrimonious or mean spirited discourse is going to change anyone's mind, no matter which direction they lean.

What I believe is pretty much my own damn business. I don't need validation or approval from anyone but God.

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It's been changed a lot by men with an agenda.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a freethinker, a believer in spiritual self reliance. Therefore, I follow no manuscript written by dead guys over 2,000 years old. I follow no book written by dead or alive guys or gals of modern times either.

I do use books and manuscripts to stimulate the old thinking juices.

I'm not a follower. Certainly not in the last 30 years.

My last word on this concerning the OP.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 3,487 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,402
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.