Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
anyone load a pointed bullet for a bolt action 30-30 ? i need to know case length

GB1

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I know what you are talking about with the feeding difficulty. I have experienced it with the 30-30 and 303 Sav. I have never seen any recommended length for this situation. My solution was to trim a case back until I got smooth feeding. Then trim up a batch of cases to that length. I do reserve the trimmed cases just for loading the sleek pointy bullets and use standard cases for every thing else. Never ran into any problems using this method. I do keep my loads in the standard range for the cartridge and don't try to boost velocity. You may want to color the case head with a magic marker to help identify the trimmed cases should they become mixed with others.

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
A 30-30 is a 30-30 no matter WHAT the action type, although you might need to slightly modify or adjust to fit each individual rifle. 30-30 trim lenght is 2.030"...I trim to whatever length the shortest case is...usually 2.015" plus or minus 0.005" is about right...most chamber necks are longer than the longest possible case length so it isn't something to loose sleep over...just trim them to a uniform length and be happy.

I've loaded 30-30's for a Sav 340 and a couple of milsurp conversions(I have NO idea WHY they were converted, confused but the owners were happy) used reloading manuals recommended trim length, measured to where several spire pointed bullet brands hit the throat and seated each bullet brand to either fit the magazine or where the best accuracy was obtained.

Only trouble with feeding was with the magazine...the mag lips can get messed through handling and dings.

I load pointy bullets in my Marlin and Win leverguns also...only loaded 2 in the mag and one in the chamber. Never had any problems with plastic tipped pointed bullets, but the lead tipped ones would have the lead tip mashed quickly but that didn't bother hunting accuracy a bit.

I've never had any problems with shorter than manual trim lengths...just less case to hold the bullet so I polished the sizer button down a bit or use a smaller sizer bushing.

As long as you keep the trim length uniform not adverse affect on hunting accuracy either...but you don't want to get TOO short as if you keep shooting cases with excessively short neck you will erode the neck area and cause problems if you go back to full lengh necks...a few won't hurt just to satisfy your curiosity.

Luck

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
well my problem was the bullets were too long for the magazine.so i stuffed them in further and they looked odd but fired good.they wont feed well in my westernfield 30-30,so id like to trim them so they will feed good im turning the gun over to the kids soon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 21 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,626
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.