Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I live in desert country where wood decay is not much of an issue. I know of 70+ year old western juniper fence posts that are still in place and rock solid. While decay is not much of a problem, termites can be. I survey staked some areas about 12 years ago, and every stake was eliminated by termites.

When temperatures allow, I've been replacing some lodgepole rails on a fence around my yard, and I've encountered some posts that were near suspended in air by the rails with the bottoms beavered off by termites. I have heard that charring the section of wood that goes into the soil can deter those toothy bugs. It's rumored to be something about a dislike for chewing on near crystalline carbon or burnt wood.

Anyone know if this is fact or fiction. I knocked down about 20 western juniper trees in the forest this morning, and will char the bottoms if it's indeed worthwhile. Anyone know?

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
creosote may be what your looking for

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can't pick that up in a hardware stores anymore. Maybe I should clean the chimney.

1Minute
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
California over the last 10 years or so, has been going through an expedited replacement program for their power poles... I've done a bunch my self over the last decade.

Most of these replaced power poles that by the way are still in use date back to between the 1930's to the 50's.

Check with your local power company, they'll usually let you come in and cut the old poles into sections and haul them off for nothing.

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I would like to cut some lodgepole pine for fenceposts but it wouldn't last long enough to be worth the effort. Finding a good treatment is a trick these days thanks to the EPA. They have it backwards. You can treat 1 post for 50 years with creosote, or you can treat a bunch of 5 yr posts with something that won't last. You get 10x more of the latter in the soil.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We never had any trouble with termites using osage orange for fenceposts. It wouldn't rot, either. Tough on tools like chainsaws, but about as good as RR ties for corner posts and the like.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plenty of homemade creasote formulas online. We used to just soak the bottom few feet of posts in a barrel of used motor oil cut with diesel.

googled this-

5 gallons of coal tar roofing or driveway sealer, 5 gallons of Diesel Fuel, 5 gallons of used Diesel oil, 2 lbs of feed salt Stir well with an old shovel.

Might work best to dissolve the salt in the diesel fuel before mixing in other ingredients.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wish I had some Bois'd arc (?sp)- Bodark - Osage Orange. Cedar lasts good down here.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30 gallon drum of used motor oil parked right next to the hole.

Dip post and "plant".

Move on to next hole.

Good to go.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ps

Do you know why posts rot?
It's because the ground is trying to grow it.
That's life.
See?

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bois D Arc when cut green has never been worse on my saws than post oak etc....

But when dry.... I have a gunstock out of it... heavy and tough....

We have one that was a corner post and older than.... when we bought the place in the early 60s... it was pulled when the fence was rebuilt 15 years ago.. builder put it back in said it was better than a cedar....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, wish we had Osage, but it's about a 1000 mile run for me to pick up a load. Obviously a very dense wood, as it has the highest heat yield per unit weight of any wood in the US. I have not seen a heat yield assessment on our mountain mahogany, but it might be right up there. It for sure turns the teeth on ones chainsaw blue. Despite its density, it seems to decay rapidly, and one never finds a straight section either.

Our best post material is western juniper. I have no knowledge on how Utah juniper holds up. Lodgepole pine will near decay before one can get it in the ground.

Back east, one could wear out three post holes with black locust.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/30/11.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've helped rebuild fence before, set new corners, we use hedge around here, bois d'arc for some of you others, or osage orange. The 70+ year old posts you'd pull out of the ground were just as solid as the new ones we replaced. It sure isn't fun running a chainsaw through a bunch of them though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The nice thing about hedge posts is you only need to cut them once in your lifetime, as to the original question termites will not eat charred wood, it will still rot.....Russ

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Blanket: Thanks, that was the question. When our fire restrictions are over, I'll give them a char.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
I live in desert country where wood decay is not much of an issue. I know of 70+ year old western juniper fence posts that are still in place and rock solid. While decay is not much of a problem, termites can be. I survey staked some areas about 12 years ago, and every stake was eliminated by termites.

When temperatures allow, I've been replacing some lodgepole rails on a fence around my yard, and I've encountered some posts that were near suspended in air by the rails with the bottoms beavered off by termites. I have heard that charring the section of wood that goes into the soil can deter those toothy bugs. It's rumored to be something about a dislike for chewing on near crystalline carbon or burnt wood.

Anyone know if this is fact or fiction. I knocked down about 20 western juniper trees in the forest this morning, and will char the bottoms if it's indeed worthwhile. Anyone know?

I know that if you use steel T-posts, you won't have no stinkin' termites...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
use steel T-posts

Redneck: An interesting side bar. I was visiting some ranches out on Kona a few years ago and noticed near universal use of polywire electric fences to contain cattle. With the caustic acids from the volcano and their rains, a steel post and wire will last about 3 to 5 years there. I saw remnants of several t-posts with holes eroded clear through.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/31/11.

1Minute
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Has anyone ever used roofing tar/asphalt to coat and seal the buried portion of the posts? Seems like this would protect from both rot and insects, and since the tar isn't exposed to UV, wouldn't it last? I think it would work as protection from rot, but I'm not certain about insects like ants and termites. Could do the charring first and follow up with tar.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
TAR??? I can hear the green-weenies positively GASP with horror...

But - hey, it works for me.. .:D laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
in Ohiya, we use locust too, same treatments.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,698
Posts18,475,238
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.