Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stray round
TRH that looks like one satisfied dog. He sure knows he has found a real home.
Yep, I think she likes it a bit better here than in one of those shelter kennels.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 340boy
Sorry to hear that, Chris.

Dogs give a lot, but it sure hurts when you lose one.
Best thing to do when that happens(even though it is hard sometimes) is get a new puppy.
JME.
The very next day I got a dog from the shelter. Couldn't bear to come home to a house with no dog in it.

[Linked Image]

Good for you! Nothing beats heartaches like love.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a time when a dog, two actually, probably kept me from going over the edge. I mourn when they leave but revel in memories of the life I gave them. Can't imagine being without at least one, and a joy is they are all different.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
There was a time when a dog, two actually, probably kept me from going over the edge. I mourn when they leave but revel in memories of the life I gave them. Can't imagine being without at least one, and a joy is they are all different.

I well remember when the realization came upon me that dogs have personalities as distinct as we do. They are an absolute joy in my life. I believe they exhibit the closest example of agape love we have on earth. They love me totally and unconditionally....of course you realize they've never known cruelty from me.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
who ever said you can't buy love never got a puppy
A revelation. God bless you.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have never missed a dog. Ever.

Travis

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, I've had cats and I've had dogs, but most the dogs had me too. Thank you God for for my Pal, and then there was adog named Sue.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/30/11.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I once heard a saying that God created our pets to live shorter lives than we do so that we know they are well taken care of when they are alive, and we won't have to worry about who will take care of them when we are gone.

It was said in a much more articulate way than I am saying it, but it makes sense to me.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave
I have never missed a dog. Ever.

Travis
I'm sorry Travis, you never had a Pal like mine. I hope sometime you will too, and I also pray God chooses you. God bless you, Travis

Last edited by eyeball; 08/30/11.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've always thought it was a sorry aspect of the human condition that a man should outlive his dog.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had two labs from the same litter. Max and Missy.

My brother begged me to give Missy to him and I finally relented. He drove from WV to TX to pick her up, they were crazy about each other. Hard to let her go, but she went to a great home.

Not long after that, I went through the big "D" and had no place that I could afford that would allow pets, so I "lent" him to a friend who had some land and space for him to stretch his legs.

Sadly, they are both gone now. I occasionally look at their pics. I just can't have the pics in front of me, much too distressing, even after many years.

I have many faults, they didn't and could have cared less about mine. It is amazing how they know.

Please pass the allergy pills would ya?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love my Dogs more than most people.

Wife and I always have two dogs. They seem to get as bonded to each other as we do to them.

Have two Golden Retrivers, and they're "family"

Best companions in the world!

Virgil B.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by nighthawk
There was a time when a dog, two actually, probably kept me from going over the edge.

December 7, 1997....during the most tumultuous time in my life, there was this little one...whom you all know as Ingwedog......she helped save me...

The night before this pic was taken a woman asked me " Whats the most important thing in your life?" I told her frankly I was picking up a new dog the next day, and that was the most important thing in my life........true dat....

[Linked Image]

I wish we had it to do all over again..its been great...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
After dinner Mama was on the computer and I asked her what she was looking at. She said "nevermind". Curiousity got the best of me and I sneeked a peek.

Puppies....She was lookin at puppies. grin She's been saying "not now" "now's not the time".

So far, I like 'Stanley' the best. Lab/mix. Cute litte sucker.

Last edited by tzone; 08/30/11.

Camp is where you make it.
Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Mr Max...
Didn't think I'd love another dog but along came..

[Linked Image]

Mr Snake and Miz Jen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On May 7th, I had to put my dog partner down after 12 years. She had picked me not I her, as she pushed the others off me. She was with me pretty much 24/7, especially the last three years. Everyone called her the princess because of her bearing, a proud English Setter. She greeted everyone, respected children, loved the outdoors and to be with me.
She would sit in the truck as I went into a store, and more than once out of the blue someone would tell me what a beauty she was. After the first few times I asked a woman how she knew. She just pointed out the window.
She got to the point she wasn't chasing anymore, but she loved to watch everything with a setter smile.
I saw the x-ray, the tumor as large as a grapefruit. She stayed with me 2 more weeks, I had said the day she could no longer get in the truck on her own, that was the day.
15 before the time, a noise in the room we were in startled her and even then, nothing but skin and bone, she was ready to take on any danger.
WE all have done some grim things in our lives, that I am sure. I made a promise that I would be the last she saw in this life. to see the lights dim in her eyes was the worst moment of my life.
Tonight is the first time since I have been able to talk, write or e3ven think about that day.

Thankfully, I have her daughter, different dog, but love her as much.

thank you

Last edited by Colo_Wolf; 08/30/11.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs...

But you know from the moment you hold that puppy in cupped hands, that the day is coming...

That is the sad truth. Have three buried in the back yard now. My present GWP is 8.5 years old and our little house dog is five. I don't know that any animal can win your heart like a dog and almost break it when their time comes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As Ingwe said.......

[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/31/11.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
We had to put down our Emma 1 year ago this month. We still haven't got a replacement. She was an Airedale, an absolute sweetheart. It has taken this long just to be able to talk about another dog. I'm not really sure if we ever will. cry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs...

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my dog as if it were my 4 legged child and he's part of the family. He's 16 months old and very clever. He's done his pre companion dog title and is working on his novice title as well as doing his CGN next month. He pulls my ice fishing sled in the winter, will be getting my geese this fall and ain't scared of black bears (came along a few times putting bait out). I had a german shepherd as a kid and no child could ask for anything better than having a dog to grow up with. He was always there waiting for me to come home from school and went out in the woods to keep an eye on me. Man's best friend indeed.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.