Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Prior to 2000 all my hunting was done with Remington 700's and a McMillan Talon, which is basically a 700 receiver with a model 70 bolt. After 2000 I switched to Winchester classic model 70's and have been using them ever since.
Recently my dad dropped of 10 guns to sell for him along with my old Remington 700 classic in 7mm Weatherby. The guns were a mixture of Remington 700's an Ruger 77's.
Couple of thoughts on handling and comparing them side by side.
The Rugers are cheap looking, rough cycling, heavy and balance poorly. The Remingtons with high gloss blueing are very smooth and balance much better than either a Winchester or a Ruger.
Despite being a Winchester guy those 700's sure do feel good in the hands.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have bought too many rifles over the years grin . Ranging from $$$ Euro to what you mention.
IMO all have there attributes & they are only better than each other according to ones circumstances, & your ideal rifle at the time/lust.

I like em all!

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well said, 340. I like a good CRF for dangerous game hunting or big money hunts but have owned and used many brands and types with good results over the decades. Likes and Lusts DO change, don't they!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
Prior to 2000 all my hunting was done with Remington 700's and a McMillan Talon, which is basically a 700 receiver with a model 70 bolt. After 2000 I switched to Winchester classic model 70's and have been using them ever since.
Recently my dad dropped of 10 guns to sell for him along with my old Remington 700 classic in 7mm Weatherby. The guns were a mixture of Remington 700's an Ruger 77's.
The Rugers are cheap looking, rough cycling, heavy and balance poorly. The Remingtons with high gloss blueing are very smooth and balance much better than either a Winchester or a Ruger.
..............And how old were those Rugers??

Big differences between the older Rugers vs the newer ones.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My most recent Ruger purchase was a used #1. The scope base was tapped off center. I found that to be a very careless mistake.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A push feed rifle action will ALWAYS be smoother than a controlled round feed. Remington finish has changed pretty much as well. All manufacturers have made changes trying to respond to perceived demands of their consumers. Obviously those whims change with time, and even with the changes certainly many people aren't happy. When Ruger came out with the Skeleton stock people complained fiercely. Now they are in demand. When they came out with the stainless Mk II people complained about how bright they were. They dulled the finish and people complain about that as well. Everything changes with time.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Current production quality...
1. Winchester
2. Ruger
3. Remington--and I consider Remington distant last.

This ranking was different in the early/mid 90's, but things have changed significantly!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Remingtons will be the most accurate.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
..............And how old were those Rugers??

Big differences between the older Rugers vs the newer ones.

One is a tang safety 77 and they other is a SS mark 11

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Current production quality...
1. Winchester
2. Ruger
3. Remington--and I consider Remington distant last.

This ranking was different in the early/mid 90's, but things have changed significantly!

Unless ruger has really started to finish/polish the bolt races I cant see it. And worse than the roughness is the fact that the action is so heavy they balance poorly.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can't speak to recent Remingtons but I've heard their quality has gone down since Cerebrus took over.

The new Winchester (FN) is a great rifle. Fit and finish is much better than my Ruger Hawkeye. It is worth mentioning that the Hawkeye was $175 cheaper.

Scott
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm talking about overall fit, finish and function. I've owned more than three of each in the past 24 months. Actually, I've owned 4 700's in that time frame. 3 of the 4 had issues. 2 of the 4 had multiple trips for factory repairs. I bought a new follower and spring for the third one and fixed it myself.

All the 700's eventually shot well, but not noticeably better than the Rugers or Winchesters. The other brands didn't need factory repairs or different parts to function properly... And the 700 bolt pales in smoothness to the new FN70's.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
"Unless ruger has really started to finish/polish the bolt races I cant see it. And worse than the roughness is the fact that the action is so heavy they balance poorly."

I agree - I keep reading glowing reports about the Hawkeye and I handle one and any lust for it goes away immediately. The bolt operation is rougher than other maker and the balance is non-existent. In general they just feel rough and clunky.

The FN Winchesters are top drawer for finish and operation, the Featherweights in particular balance well. Remington 700's are hit or miss anymore in all aspects.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
[quote=shortactionsmoker]
Unless ruger has really started to finish/polish the bolt races I cant see it. And worse than the roughness is the fact that the action is so heavy they balance poorly.

You obviously haven't spent any time hunting with a Ruger 77. THEN you might know what you're talking about.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Rugers are cheap looking, rough cycling, heavy and balance poorly.

Man, you ain't shootin' the same Rugers I am. Have you ever owned or fired a Ruger, really?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by badshot257
Can't speak to recent Remingtons but I've heard their quality has gone down since Cerebrus took over.

The new Winchester (FN) is a great rifle. Fit and finish is much better than my Ruger Hawkeye. It is worth mentioning that the Hawkeye was $175 cheaper.

That may be. These guns are "A" and "c" prefix guns, which I understand were made better than latter ones.

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
[quote=shortactionsmoker]

You obviously haven't spent any time hunting with a Ruger 77. THEN you might know what you're talking about.

I dont need to hunt with one to know that the feel/look crude and balance like chit.

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
The Rugers are cheap looking, rough cycling, heavy and balance poorly.

Man, you ain't shootin' the same Rugers I am. Have you ever owned or fired a Ruger, really?

I have. I shot some deer back in the early nineties with a boat paddle .243.
And I have two right now on the for sale forum that I am trying to get rid of for my dad.
And besides one doesnt have to shoot or hunt with a gun to determine that it balances poorly and is rough cycling. Handling it for a few minutes will suffice. Sort of like its not a requirement to step in a pile of dog chit to know it will make a stinky mess of your boot..

Last edited by BWalker; 08/31/11.
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
And I am sure a Ruger action will last damn near forever and function without issue in the field. So will a 1917 enfield, or a anvil......

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by badshot257

That may be. These guns are "A" and "c" prefix guns, which I understand were made better than latter ones.

Are you saying that the new FN made Model 70's with an "A" or "C" prefix are better than current production?

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,088
Posts18,521,961
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.