Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My sister moved to Houston from MN 25 years ago. There's no doubt in my mind she's now dumber because of it.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
In my best Texican accent;

"Oh what fools these mortals be" :-)

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
� it is tough to do Shakespeare on broadway with a southern accent.

Dr Kamber, my wife's professor of French at Johns Hopkins, had an awful time getting his Baltimoron students to pronounce eau correctly. They kept saying "a-oh" instead of "oh."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think it was John Byner, a Canadian comic, that could do impressions 2 and 3 people deep. Things like Donald Duck, doing John Wayne, doing Elvis. It was amazing that he could get so many aspects of language into a single package.

Thirty-five-year-old Hal Holbrook, on stage as "Mark Twain," did a beautiful job doing a seventy-year-old man quoting twelve-year-old Huckleberry Finn. There was no sign of the thirty-five-year-old. Hal's over eighty now, but his performance at thirty-five was indeed a tour de force � a stroke of sheer genius.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where do public radio and classical stations find all these people with such ridiculous northeastern cum bad british english accents to DJ?

p.s. the guy who used to love saying Pawk'istan while looking down his nose at the television camera is similarly ridiculous.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mink
You fail to mention whether it's a justified deduction or not...grin

Lets put it this way, I can top the MENSA requirement by 18 points any day and around 22, if I'm focused.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
Originally Posted by Mink
You fail to mention whether it's a justified deduction or not...grin

Lets put it this way, I can top the MENSA requirement by 18 points any day and around 22, if I'm focused.

Hell I can best it by 50 on my worst day.

Do I hear 60?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
My sister moved to Houston from MN 25 years ago. There's no doubt in my mind she's now dumber because of it.

she could be in a coma and still be smarter than you

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hay goestindatractor,

Com Yar to me boy, I'm fixin' to whoop yer azz with an ax hanel!

ya' sissy bich. LOL grin wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I think it was John Byner, a Canadian comic, that could do impressions 2 and 3 people deep. Things like Donald Duck, doing John Wayne, doing Elvis. It was amazing that he could get so many aspects of language into a single package.

Thirty-five-year-old Hal Holbrook, on stage as "Mark Twain," did a beautiful job doing a seventy-year-old man quoting twelve-year-old Huckleberry Finn. There was no sign of the thirty-five-year-old. Hal's over eighty now, but his performance at thirty-five was indeed a tour de force � a stroke of sheer genius.

I just saw Hal on a movie the other day Ken, "The Evening Sun". Great movie and fairly new I think. If you haven't seen that one, I highly recommend it.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Anyone in at 55?

Here we go at Mensa + 55er.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"The Left thinks that anyone with an accent is dumb."

They are almost correct. Almost everyone on the left has an accent, and everybody on the left is dumb.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in for -30 or so and I'm still tryin' to learn poker!

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
When I was a young man of 20 -25 years old, I was CONFUSED. While in training in the Army, everyone asked how this blue-eyed blondie had a "mexican accent": but everyone in NE New Mexico wondered why I "spoke like a Texan".
My mother was Okie, my father was first generation transplanted Croatian, but I was raised amongst Hispanics with a distinct accent - unique to northern NM and southern CO.
I guess I confuse many!
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a deal on TV a while back that actors go to class to learn the "American accent" that doesn't actually exist anywhere other than in movies.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Otter
� I could tell, by listening to conversations, what part of Nebraska the folks were from �

My Alabama buddy Wyatt Keith had that knack.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
� As long as you don't call our (Alaska's) most valuable resource "awl" like some 'southerners' do, we can still be friends. grin

I pronounce oil "aw-il," not "aw-i-ul," like somenortherners do. And I've never heard anybody pronounce it "awl." And I pronounce I "I," not "I-e" or "Ah." There's no u in oil or an e on the tail of I.

You ever hear a Texun....er, Texen,,,,,,,,,,er, Texan say it ? Some of them anyway, do a pretty good job of confusing me with what they are talking about until I get my ears calibrated for awhile. We do have a very good EMT who serves this region who came from Georgia over twenty years ago. And, while he has learned to speak more fluently grin in the years since he came north, he still has a certain distinct sound which is unmistakable in origin; great guy, no shortage of intellect; glad he came over to the 'dark side.'

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logger
The flip side of the southern accent equals dumb perception seems to be the English accent (as in the Queen's English from Great Britain) equals smart. It seems that you have to have an English accent to be on CNBC to do the financial news.

I've been put-down for my Southern accent ever since I first went Nawth in 1939, but seldom worse than the flak that my Brit writers gave me when they didn't like this or that about my editing of their prose. I was worse than just a merely ignorant Yank � I was an ignorant mush-mouth Yank. What could I possibly know about good English?

"That's not the queen's English!" was their favorite criticism. Never mind that by international agreement � which has the power of a law or a regulation � the official IATA language of international commercial aviation is American English.

How sweet it was � without exception � to send 'em away grumbling by showing 'em in the Oxford English Dictionary that what they'd objected-to was indeed "the queen's English."

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having been small and having parents who enjoyed watching Hee Haw occasionally, I blame that for any perceptions I may have of people with southern accents. grin

Well, that, and having gone to Basic Training in Missouri and meeting a whole bunch of back woods Arkansas kids. It's amazing how the outstandingly bad ones tend to stick in your memory while the good ones just fade away.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know what you mean!

I got hit with a batch of flak in another Campfire thread where I tried a bit too obliquely to say that about the Noo Yawkaz whom I've known � (a) the relatively few whose attitudes and behavior immediately identify 'em as ass holes, and (b) the greater number whose attitudes and behavior don't leave any pejorative mark.

It seems that the overly sensitive among us aren't the least little bit sensitive to sympathetic subtlety. Too intent on finding something to get mad at, I reckon.

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.