Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5582462 09/02/11
1234 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
was thinking of picking up a savage 17hmr with an accu-trigger anyone with experience with the above ? thinking about accuracy and how well the trigger works ?

thanks Ed

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good accuracy to 100 yards for anyone. Trigger works fine

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I held off buying one for awhile too much hype and the cost of the ammo kept me away. Broke down and picked up a Savage 93 SS at Dunhams at a sale price of $349, IMHO it's short of amazing. Right out of the box after zeroing the scope it is scary. My backyard range is set up for 25 and 50yrds, this thing makes me want to cut some trees and clear some brush in order to stretch it out to 100. A few minor quibbles mainly mag a little tough to seat but hey it only has about 200 rounds through it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'm loving it
Ryszzard

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 7 of the heavy/varmint barrel factory specs Savage rimfire rifles in 17HM2 (x3), 17HMR (x2), and 22MRF (x2) and like them. I have had 1 of the light/sporter barrel Savages in 17HMR, but never could get it to shoot close to the heavy barrel 93R17BVSS, so I rebarreled it with a heavy/varmint contour GM barrel. Even the pre-A/T 93R17BVSS are good shooters. 1 that I bought back in 2004 will regularly shoot MOA or better at 100 yards if the wind is calm and several people who belong to my gun club have shot their 1st MOA or better group with it.

I also have a 2 Marlins in 17HMR that I also like, a 917S and a 917VSSF.

In general, I like the heavy barrel Savage RF bolt guns a little better than the comparable Marlins, because they are a little shorter, and I like the Marlin light/sporter far more than the comparable Savages. The recent production Marlin RF bolt guns feel more "man-sized" to me, particularly the light/sporter barreled rifles.

If your choice is between the Marlin and Savage, I'd suggest that you handle each of them in the shop, so as to get a feel for what works best for you. If I was going to buy a 17HMR today, I would probably skip the Savages and buy a Marlin, either the XT-17SR or the XT-17VSFL.

JEff

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ryszzard
I held off buying one for awhile too much hype and the cost of the ammo kept me away. Broke down and picked up a Savage 93 SS at Dunhams at a sale price of $349, IMHO it's short of amazing. Right out of the box after zeroing the scope it is scary. My backyard range is set up for 25 and 50yrds, this thing makes me want to cut some trees and clear some brush in order to stretch it out to 100. A few minor quibbles mainly mag a little tough to seat but hey it only has about 200 rounds through it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'm loving it
Ryszzard

Great looking rig and excellent shooting.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Ghostinthemachine

Why Thank You
Ryszzard

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ghostinthemachine

Why Thank You
Ryszzard

Welcome. grin

I don't own a Savage but I shoot my brother's 22-250 on occasion. It has the same stock as your .17 hmr. It's the most user friendly stock I've ever shot.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They also make this rig in a left hand version.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My son had some friends over to the house for a BBQ, dirtbike riding and shooting. We had folks who have never shot before shooting one hole 3 round groups at 50yrds with this thing. All I can say is it is really impressive. I'm tempted to get another in .22mag as my CZ .22mag is a bit of a disappointment.
Ryszzard

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... I'm tempted to get another in .22mag as my CZ .22mag is a bit of a disappointment.
Ryszzard

BLASPHEMY ... Members of the Church of CZ will be here soon to try and save you soul!! smile smile smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ryszzard: My good friend Jack from Yelm, Washington came to stay with me for a week here in SW Montana this spring.
He brought along the exact same Rifle as you have pictured except his is the "left hand" version in 17 HMR.
We shot Gophers til I was nauseous.
Jack was doing REALLY well with his new savage - I mean REALLY well.
About mid way through the week Jack got a "crook" in his neck from holding it at a poor angle - he decided the remedy was a set of lower rings for his Rifle/scope.
We take a time out and head for the sport shop and procure some lower rings - then we had out to benchrest the Rifle for sight-in!
My Ruger 77 V/T in 17 HMR has never shot a group (5 shots at 100 yards) measuring above 1.000" - and that IS any amazing feat.
My Ruger Rifles smallest group (5 shots at 100 yards) to date was an amazing .502" - Jack's savage Rifle outshot that!
I was VERY impressed.
If I did not have such an aversion to savage Rifles esthetics I would own one of these thumbhole, heavy barrel, guns!
Your rig sure seems to compare favorably with my friend Jack's Rifle.
Enjoy your great shooting gun.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I Bought the same gun a while back. Probly would have bought the ruger, but I was diggin the thumbhole stock of the savage. Personally I dont care for the accutrigger. I dont like a trigger, or in this case part of the trigger to move, unless its goona make it go bang. That said, have shot enough outta it that I dont notice it anymore.

After a few years though, The stock started to bug me. So I attacked it with bondo and a cordless dremel toolgrin Raised the comb slightly, and built up the cheek piece to where it felt right. Also added a palm swell and overall thickend the grip and added a grip of sorts as well. Now its about perfect IMO and alot nicer to shoot.

ruger mags still kick azz though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
"Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay"

Hey I really like my 11 second Honda 919, when I was 20 if you had a 12 second bike it was something without lights or mufflers and you brought it to the strip on a trailer. Now you buy them and they run high 10's with mufflers and turn signals. ;-)
Nice rig you've got and yes Ruger mags are the cat's pajamas, also the new Browning 'T'bolt mags are pretty slick.
Ryszzard

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
LOL theres a reason why I havnt bought a streetbike...yet....Aprilla, and the KTM super dukes keep calling my name. But I have way to much of an addiction to acceleration. Dont really give a schit about going much faster than 100mph but the feeling that your arms just got an inch longer after you dumped the clutch is addicting to say the least.

Have had to talk to the cops more than a few times due to the big bore dirtbikes being on the pavement. But I mean really, why would they make a perfectly flat 2 mile straight stretch of road if they didnt want you to haul azz on it??

Last edited by mud_bogger; 09/05/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone know if you can get the accutrigger or any other good after market trigger for one of the original Savages?--Bill

It's the hunt, not the kill.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ttt

It's the hunt, not the kill.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bill, the Accutrigger won't fit the earlier models but Rifle Basic makes a good replacement trigger.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.