Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bolts are easily smoothed less a single shot. Such wares have zero qualm functioning perfectly in all environments.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still don't see how Ruger's extra 2oz of weight in their actions make them heavy and unbalance especially considering that in other rifles that 2oz is easily added back onto their action via the need for rings bases?

Now, the rough action, I can see as a legitimate complaint about not like rugers. Same with prefering the three-way safety of thw Win M70 over the Ruger. That too is legitimate reason for not perefering the ruger.

For example, just because I don't prefer some CZ's because of their backwards safety and extended magazine, doesn't take away from the them being a good rifle.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would submit that a Remington with an alloy shroud,titanium pin,alloy TG and alloy ring/bases will very much allow a Ruger to tilt the table.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes, i'm sure those after market alloys will definitely lighten up the remington action. Any idea as to how much weight it saves?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Enough to kill Bill Ruger.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
think he's already dead smile thinking those alloys would save about 6oz or so?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That was the point,the titanium did him in. 6 ounces is easily arranged.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I can lose 6 to 8 oz off my ruger action as well if I chose to throw enough money at it, but that isn't the point or topic of the original post.

Rugers are good actions. Lighter than Win, heavier than Rem. Yes, not as smooth as Winchester's action but hell of alot cheaper than winchester too!

Think all three rifles of this original post have its good and bad points and will need some type of TLC in one way or another.

Just pick which one has the most features that you want and go from there.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You change your tune nicely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread.
For my .02
Mauser 98
In lieu thereof the Ruger is the closest rendition of a double square bride extant. No 6-48 screws to strip. New Haweyes come with steel bottom metal, Remingtons still use cheesy aluminum (ditto A -Bolts). I kinda like their rendition of the three position safety. Nice simple (LC6) trigger. Very secure, easy to operate floorplate release. CRF...
That being said, I have really liked every 70; 77 and 700 I've owned. So, when I can't decide which one to take hunting....i just grab a #1......or was it a High Wall??? I'm so confused....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B3

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hang 2oz of lead on the end of your barrel and get back with me on what it does to rifle balance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never seen a picture of a Ruger bolt separated from its handle or heard of a Ruger needing an ejector spring, breaking an extractor or breaking a trigger or trigger guard or going "Bang" when the safety was released.

I might consider a FN Winnie but when laying down hard earned cash if is usually for a Ruger.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My most accurate rifle is a model 700 30-06. And yes, its action is very smooth and the trigger is near perfect for me.

But the two way safety that doesn't lock the bolt is the one thing I hate. When I carry it through brush on a sling I'm always having to check to see if the bolt has opened - it happens. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that drawback.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
I've never seen a picture of a Ruger bolt separated from its handle or heard of a Ruger needing an ejector spring, breaking an extractor or breaking a trigger or trigger guard or going "Bang" when the safety was released.

I might consider a FN Winnie but when laying down hard earned cash if is usually for a Ruger.

Very wise decision my friend. I've got Ruger m77 MKII's and hawkeyes that work just as well and are just as accurate as my Winchester model 70's. During elk season the winchesters stay home and the ruger m77 mkII 338 win mag goes out to do the dirty work. You also forgot about the timing problems you hear about with the winchester model 70's. I've only seen/had one that had that problem but I never knew about it until I had a winchester model 70 (trust me it wasn't my pre 64's either) or the so called problematic newhaven built ones (I got lucky with my newhaven because it is just about flawless). Hell, the old m1917 enfields always fed like a fat girl at a hot dog eating contest. Anyways, just sayin...............

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Have had MK2 extractors puke and broken MK1 TG's. All adjustable triggers can be made to fail by the clueless.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boxer

Have had MK2 extractors puke and broken MK1 TG's. All adjustable triggers can be made to fail by the clueless.

That's odd, never knew they made a mkI.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The list of things you don't know,wouldn't have fit in noah's ark. Mk1's were both round and fitted for Bill rings,the TG's of the lot of poor design and material,routinely breaking amidship at their juncture.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "timing problem" with a bolt rifle? (referred to BSA1917hunter above)

I've had both a New Haven and SC Model 70. The New Haven had a quirk I could never cure, which was that the trigger pull was 1.5 to 2# heavier when the safety had been set. So the first shot trigger pull was heavy, and a quick second shot trigger pull was light. A couple of smiths looked at it and couldn't solve it. Otherwise it was a nice rifle, though some of the hand filing on the bolt head was just embarrassing.

The SC had a slightly warped barrel channel in the stock, which caused it to be erratic since sometimes it had barrel contact on one side. The stock probably didn't like the move to a very dry climate. That was easily fixed, the barrel floats now, and it shoots very well. It's my favorite gun in the field. The trigger took some work to get to or below 3#, and it's not as consistent as a Jewell, but plenty good enough. Unfortunately, none of the aftermarket trigger makers plan to offer an alternative, at least that I have heard of. Too bad. Overall the fit and function of the SC are exceptional, and it doesn't copper foul much and cleans up easily. Compared to my 700, the Model 70 is better to carry in the field. I hike in rough country, and I often find myself checking the bolt and safety on the 700, finding the safety has managed to get turned off or the bolt handle partly lifted. The Model 70 safety and bolt lock seems better for back country hunting on foot. I also like the M70 ejection system better than the Remington. I have seen the ejector stick on a Model 700 in cold weather, producing a jam. Bad news.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "timing problem" with a bolt rifle? (referred to BSA1917hunter above)

I've had both a New Haven and SC Model 70. The New Haven had a quirk I could never cure, which was that the trigger pull was 1.5 to 2# heavier when the safety had been set. So the first shot trigger pull was heavy, and a quick second shot trigger pull was light. A couple of smiths looked at it and couldn't solve it. Otherwise it was a nice rifle, though some of the hand filing on the bolt head was just embarrassing.

The SC had a slightly warped barrel channel in the stock, which caused it to be erratic since sometimes it had barrel contact on one side. The stock probably didn't like the move to a very dry climate. That was easily fixed, the barrel floats now, and it shoots very well. It's my favorite gun in the field. The trigger took some work to get to or below 3#, and it's not as consistent as a Jewell, but plenty good enough. Unfortunately, none of the aftermarket trigger makers plan to offer an alternative, at least that I have heard of. Too bad. Overall the fit and function of the SC are exceptional, and it doesn't copper foul much and cleans up easily. Compared to my 700, the Model 70 is better to carry in the field. I hike in rough country, and I often find myself checking the bolt and safety on the 700, finding the safety has managed to get turned off or the bolt handle partly lifted. The Model 70 safety and bolt lock seems better for back country hunting on foot. I also like the M70 ejection system better than the Remington. I have seen the ejector stick on a Model 700 in cold weather, producing a jam. Bad news. The Remington is lighter than the M70, probably because of the extra weight of the flat receiver on the M70.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boxer
The list of things you don't know,wouldn't have fit in noah's ark. Mk1's were both round and fitted for Bill rings,the TG's of the lot of poor design and material,routinely breaking amidship at their juncture.

They never made a mk1 rifle you [bleep] dipchit. What you may be refering to is the Ruger model 77R and the plain old round top magnum. Seems your ark has sailed and the fishin isn't too good anymore is it? Go fishin somewhere else bushler. Doesn't that sound like bullchitter?

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 22 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.