Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gone_Huntin
he positively endorses the Sako extractor mod and does a ton of them.

That makes him a bad gunsmith.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn
But of course you agree with Shoemaker......his preference mirrors yours.

Not to mention practically the entire African Professional Hunter community who like Phil have to deal with dangerous game for a living. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700

Well there you have it! Bob Hart, ak Robert W Hart & Son, builder of countless competition winning custom rifles and one of the premier gunsmiths in this country, if not the world, is a bad gunsmith and obviously knows nothing of Sako extractor modifications, of which he has done thousands. Folks - You heard it here first!! Swampy has spoken!

Last edited by Gone_Huntin; 09/07/11.

NRA Patron Member.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Swampy has been brain washed!

Swampy did you know driving a car can be dangerous?

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 09/07/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just like I posted earlier, nobody gonna change their mind. You might as well close the thread as the post get more ridiculous.
Butch

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought most of those guys carried double rifles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They sure don't RD. In fact they are in the minority and a few carry PF bolts, just not 700s, at least I've never seen or heard of one that does but I'm sure there are. Anyhow, that article is a pretty good read.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are guys who shoot Model 700's at the National Championships at Camp Perry Ohio. There is a lot at stake there
(not your life obviously) and they wouldn't shot them unless they were confident that they would function properly in the rapid fire stages.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR

On extractors, one bad experience that stands out in MY experience, was using a 221 FB that was built by SG&Y/Speedy G.

The rifle was 2nd hand, but as new, little wear shown on bolt, put together w/an ADL Matte 223 action.

Anyone have a clue what happened there, or just a case where the extractor needed replaced?

I wouldn't doubt that the original owner tried to make a 223 out of the 221 Fire Ball and had a overload event that damaged the extractor. Upon learning the 221 FB wasn't a 223 he tripped the rifle.

Being second hand you never know.

Could of been defective from the factory. Not an issue I've heard of from 221 FB owners or the one I have.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jorge,

I've known at least three African PH's who carry PF rifles: Finn Aagaard (PF M70 .458, one of his two four-five-eights), Ross Seyfried (700 .416 Remington), and another guy none of you have ever hard of who used a Weatherby Mark V .378 in Tanzania.

That said, most of the PH's I know won't even use a 700 for plains game, mostly because Remington has never tried very hard to sell them over there--and they would be very expensive. Most of the South African PH's I know buy used rifles, because that's what they can afford.

Double rifles are becoming fairly common again, partly because some clients will give one away as a tip for a big-dollar dangerous game hunt. I know one Zim PH who has TWO .470 NE doubles, and that's how he got both of 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John Sharp, the PH I hunt with carries a PF Mod 70 and a Rigby Double 470. A few others I know also carry 460 Weatherbys. Still, the article I quoted written by Don Heath is pretty much the conventinal wisdom of the PH community as a whole.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

your an idiot azzhole

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FVA, no doubt, hard to say, could not tell anything damaged, but suffice to say, the rifle was not made in the factory for 221, so not sure if there are any changes for a FB vs. 223 re: extractor specs.

Re: M70 PFs - never had a bobble out of the 2 7/08s I ran, nor a CRF ss/fwt in 6.5x55. Did have a Coyote in 223 that shot horrible - 2-3moa, had defective lands 'chatter marks or something' about 3" from muzzle and I elected to trade it off in lieu of waiting for Win to fix it.

I guess my patience has grown thin w/rifles that are not built/finished properly, don't shoot reliably and accurately from the factory, no matter brand name.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is one sure way to cause a CRF Mauser to fail.

Have someone come up while you are shooting and want to try your rifle. Hand him the rifle and a cartridge, and this person, used to PF rifles, drops the cartridge into the chamber and attemps to close the bolt, all the while you are yelling, 'don't do that, don't do that.'

Your M98 is locked up but good. Ever try to find a perfectly straight stick in 7 MM caliber?

Could a mistake like this be blamed on PF, because the shooter, having only used PF rifles, did not know about CRF?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In two military K-98�s my father brought back from Germany after WWII the follower blocked the bolt from moving forward. I always thought that was a neat idea � it told you very tacitly that your magazine was empty and it almost forced you to load a round(s) into the magazine to feed them. Not that you couldn�t stick a cartridge halfway in the chamber and use your thumb to push the follower down and override this feature if you were deliberately trying to jam it, but it was just one more feature that shows how Herr Mauser�s child was designed as a completely integrated system.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 1234567
There is one sure way to cause a CRF Mauser to fail.

Have someone come up while you are shooting and want to try your rifle. Hand him the rifle and a cartridge, and this person, used to PF rifles, drops the cartridge into the chamber and attemps to close the bolt, all the while you are yelling, 'don't do that, don't do that.'

Your M98 is locked up but good. Ever try to find a perfectly straight stick in 7 MM caliber?

Could a mistake like this be blamed on PF, because the shooter, having only used PF rifles, did not know about CRF?

With a jam such as you are describing, squeezing the spring part of the extractor against the bolt body with the off hand and closing the bolt with the other hand will allow the claw to snap over the rim on some Mausers. Works on all of my Mausers but I suspect that there are some that this technique will not work.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A few people remember using a nickel in a 1917 and also sometimes pushing the back of a Mauser style extractor behind the retainer to spring it over a cartridge rim. There are enough Mauser style extractors that will spring to encourage what are perhaps bad habits.

I have no issues with a tested and examined Remington but I do very much suspect the Remington would be more vulnerable to snow and ice in the action than a Mauser?

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yup. The snap over trick works well.

You can also push in on the extractor after firing and pull the bolt back leaving the fired round in the chamber. This causes a nice jam in a hunting situation when you are more concerned about saving your precious Lapua 9.3X62 brass (and adrenaline has caused superhuman strength and five thumbs on each hand) than ensuring the second round chambers! Luckily a follow-up wasn't needed blush

I am convinced "Mr." Murphy is actually a an old maid and goes by Ms.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You can also press on the front end of a Mauser extractor to get a stuck case out of the chamber. (Of course, this means that sometimes empty cases stick in Mauser chambers--which has been known to happen.)

I bevel the front edge of all my Mauser extractors so they'll hop over the cartridge rim, just like in the Model 70 Winchester, allowing a cartridge to be loaded into the chamber without having to push it down into the magazine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Anjin
In my case, I had a custom 375 H&H LH on a 700 action fail in a DG situation in Zambia. The bolt seized after the first shot on a cape buffalo. Thankfully, he took off in a different direction. I hammered the bolt open with the hilt of my Randall. The extractor held and later shots functioned properly, but I totally lost confidence in it as a DG rifle.

It sounds like the rifle caught something like "buck fever" in the presence of dangerous game, it functioned OK before and after the encounter, amazing things can happen.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.