-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I �lost my wallet w/400 on a payday /rent due weekend in the army in Washington DC 1983 �.in A drive thru with a �orange VA state van� behind me� I was on motorcycle no pockets�guy in van helped me look for it�yea rite ,there was NO one anywhere and the concrete road was white on both sides when I turned around to head back to retrieve it��then there was LAST year where I left my wallet on the roof on our rental car in the bad side of charlotte NC� 700 cash a 1000$ gift certificate, every license to include my passport card��..life sucked finding/replacing my stuff���I did fine 100 bill in Vegas ..of course I left that in a game some where�

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was mowing the grass one day and I got out to the ditch next to the road near my mailbox where the grass was high and didn't get mown very often. Spotted an envelope just about to go under the mower. I slammed on brakes just in time. Picked up the envelope that had obviously been out there for a while and had been rained on several times. It was a government check for $11,100.00 for unused sick leave for my then-wife, who had retired from the Civil Service a few months before.

When my son was about 11 or 12, we were in a Wal-Mart buying some cheap shotgun shells. The bill was 11 bucks and some change. I paid with a 20. The cashier gave me back $88 and change and I didn't notice it until I was putting it back in my wallet. I told her that she gave me $80 too much change.

She said no she didn't. I said yes she did and that if she looked under the money tray there'd be a 20 there rather than a 100. She said I paid with a 100. I asked her to check her till. She couldn't open it unless making a transaction. Another guy walked up and after completing his transaction, she looked under the till and turned white a sheet and started shaking. There was my 20 rather than the 100 she expected.

She was SO grateful. She said that she would have lost her job and would have had to make up the difference out of her pocket and that would have broken her. She was a single mom, barely making ends meet.

Well, I sorta forgot about that incident, but years later when my son graduated from high school tied with some others at the top of his class and he gave a speech about who influenced him the most, he said that it was me and that I had taught him to always do the right thing. And he told that story.

Sorta got to me........

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
All 4 sides of charlotte are bad!!

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
K
K
have found a couple wallets and returned them, was passing thru stl airport in the 80s stopped for a drink between flights paid with a 100 and heard my flight called jumped up and started to run to gate,heard my name called ,had forgot change and bartender yelled at me-my name was on my belt-lucky me

My Dad carried a silver dollar in his pocket as long as i can remember it was worn pretty well when i first discovered him doing that,one day my cousin and i were in the boonies and he showed me a well worn silver dollar he had just"found" under a railroad trestle.sounded fishy to me so i ran back to find my Dad and see if he still had his ,he didnt,so i went back to cousins house and with a few well placed jabs got it back. Dad didnt even know it had been stolen.it now sets in my safe

silent water runs deep
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smart aleck kid gets permission to address the eight grade class one day after lunch break. Asks if anybody lost ten dollars. Of course, a couple of kids says yes. Smart kid says well, I found two cents of it and handed one of them two pennies. Got a huge laugh.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I found $2500 cash in a guys rain coat he left on the Madison river north of Cameron Mt. I was able to locate him by a rental car confirmation number in the folder. He showed up at the fly shop the next day and asked for the goods and never said thanks, kiss my --- or good by.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've found some pretty hefty sums, but they weren't really lost. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Lost $500 in one hand of booray (or bourre) with 5 trumps. does that count?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I found $60,000 once in a napsack - some in marked bills and some in unmarked bills. They had been part of an armed robbery in a town 60 miles east of home. Arrested the two perps at gunpoint, and while looking around the area incident to arrest, found the napsack. The bank was happy -- the crooks were not. grin No shots fired, so I was happy too. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You guys have some pretty neat stories,makes me proud to be part of such a group.I was in New Orleans for a company meeting,and found a money clip in the mens rest room.When our meeting started,I ask if anyone had lost anything.Everyone looked puzzled,then this one guys eyes got big,and he said he must have lost his money clip.I tossed it on the table,boy was he relieved.I did not count it,but it was loaded,several $100's and $20's.He offered to buy the drinks that night,but I only let him buy the first one.Found a purse in the street one day.Stopped and picked it up,and gathered up everything that I could find of the spilled stuff.Took it by the address that night after work.Lady never said thanks,kiss my azz,or nothin.Go figger!Another time,an out of state lineman here working a ice storm lost his wallet in the mens room at the local restaurant.The waitress found it and brought it to me.I returned it the next day.He was really worried,and relieved,to have it back.It contained several months salary for that young lady,and at my urging, he gave her a generous reward.Another time,I found a ladies purse in a shopping cart,on a grocery store parking lot.It had some cash,credit cards,drivers license,maybe some other stuff.Took it by the address on the license.Lady answered the door,snatched it out of my hand and slammed the door in my face.Go figger!I wonder if this is a lady thing!Can't think of anything else,guess thats all of my good deeds. Lightman

Last edited by lightman; 09/12/11.

lightman
IC B3

okok Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lightman
Lady answered the door,snatched it out of my hand and slammed the door in my face.

No good deed....sounds like a witch!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
She has bad charma coming.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
does my heart good to read all these stories of guys doing the right thing

knew you were a good group, just further confirmation of such.

bless you one and all

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
In the early 80's, I cashed my paycheck at the same branch bank - 2 weeks in a row the teller gave me an extra $100 bill, different tellers. I went back into the bank, when the tellers argued with me, I asked for the branch manager, and returned the money. The third week, I left the drive-up, then found I'd been shorted $100, by yet a different teller. I went in the building, showed the envelope to the teller, and said "I've been shorted." She was about to go ballistic, when the branch manager, and other 2 tellers came over and told her to give me the money - they'd check her drawer after I left. Never heard anything about it later.
I try to keep it straight.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Came back from a guiding trip with about $200 in my pocket. Went to the store to buy milk, was gonna give my wife a $20 and she took the whole wad. Came back and asked for the change and she thought I was joking. When I told her it was $200 shelooked frantically and could find it. She thought I only gave a $20 and some small bills. She cried most of the night cuz she lost it.

Then my mom found out about it and one day when we were visiting, she snuck outside and put some money in the SUV between the seats. She denied it for a long time, but we knew it was her cuz we cleaned the car out the following day after the cash was lost. Will never forget that.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've found some pretty hefty sums, but they weren't really lost. smile

Yep...

Lost about 25000 marrying the wrong wife...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife found a $100. doller bill in McDonalds parking lot once.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This story is spread over about 2 years, involves a dirt bike and large sum of cash, and is very wordy------

Came home one day and found a cheap chinese dirt bike, 125 cc, sitting in driveway. Still had the tits on the tires, plastic on the seat, and 15 km on the odometer. Bike had been wrecked, as the front wheel looked like a wavy washer, and the battery box was busted up and laying under it. I called the wife and asked why she bought a wrecked chinese dirtbike. She said she didn't. I called my buddy who was friends with the neighboring towns cops about 5 miles away. He called them, they sent out a county patrol car. He ran the VIN, said it came back clean, and didn't know what to do with it. I asked if he was taking it, he said heck no, as far as he was concerned it was mine.

I fixed the front wheel for the most part, wired around the key-switch, and drove the crap out of it for a few weeks. Then the wife called me at work, said the sheriff was there, that the bike we had called in belonged to a guy a couple streets down in our subdivision, he had bought it for his son, his son had wrecked and left it at a friends house, friends' dad got sick of it being there and left it at the wrong house. No biggie, I gave it back.

--------------------------

Fast forward two years later, the wifes grandparents were staying with us, visiting from Texas. Its midnight, and my buddy that was friends with the cop calls, asks if we had been robbed. I say not to my knowledge, why? He said that another neighboring towns cop had caught a couple kids with wife's wallet in it. They had our name in system with his number from him calling in the dirtbike two years earlier. He had the cops call us, we went to the station to check it out. She had left her purse in unlocked truck, which normally wouldn't have been a big deal, but in a scheme to avoid paying sales tax on an item, her grandpa had her buy for him out of state, to the tune of $3600. He paid her in cash, which was in her purse. On top of that, she had a bonus check for the quarter from our company to the tune of $6500. Total of about $10,000.

The cops about freaked when we told them. They had stopped these kids, who had a backseat full of purses and wallets. No cash though. They went back in and questioned them some more (about 3am), they finally squeeled that they'd stashed the cash at one of their houses. The check, they'd thrown out on the highway as they knew they couldn't cash it. The wife got her cash back, and then her grandparents started walking the ditches of the highway a couple miles from the house. After an hour or so they found the check.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does money loaned to a deadbeat stepson qualify as "lost"?

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lost a chitload playin' [bleep]' keno and drinking 'free' beer.

Still paying that bill off. Don't party for 2 years straight and use credit. And [bleep] ATMs...grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,969
Posts18,519,631
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.