Print Thread
Hop To
#56147 03/14/02
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I am looking for a recipe or several for making crab cakes. this is not a popular dish here in the Pac. NW, don't know why we have plenty of crabs. I make octopus fritters when ever I catch an octopus but never have made crab cakes.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

#56148 03/15/02
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be more worried about the octopuss catching me than he would about me catching him.
<br>Any way here is a crab cake recipe that I use. Now realize that I don't have access to really fresh crab meat but this does pretty good.
<br>1 pound crab meat
<br>1/3 c melted butter
<br>1 egg
<br>1/4 c. crushed bread crumbs. I use Italian seasoned
<br>1 T Worchestershire sauce
<br>1 tsp. Tarragon vinegar
<br>1 tsp dry mustard
<br>1/4 tsp thyme, celery salt and white pepper.
<br>dash Tabasco and pinch of parsley
<br>
<br>Mix all together and form into cakes @ 3/4 inch thick. Use only enough bread crumbs to hold the crab mixture together. Brown lightly in butter drain on a paper towel and serve warm.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
#56149 03/18/02
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boggy, when I can eat like a hummin' bean agin, I'm going to try your recipe for crab cakes -- with a couple of my own tweakin's to boot.
<br>
<br>Meanwhile, Winky Baby, here's an old recipe for Maryland-style crab-meat cakes.
<br>
<br>1 lb fresh or canned crab meat (pick it over well!)
<br>1 large egg
<br>1/2 cup bread crumbs
<br>3 Tbs mayonnaise
<br>1 Tbs Dijon mustard
<br>2 Tbs fresh parsley (minced)
<br>1/4 tsp salt
<br>1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
<br>
<br>Mix (gently) all ingredients. Divide and form into 8 patties about 3 inches in diameter. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes while you make the sauce to top 'em.
<br>
<br>SAUCE:
<br>
<br>1/2 cup mayo or salad dressing
<br>1/4 cup sweet-pickle relish
<br>2 tsp prepared mustard
<br>
<br>
<br>Mix all this stuff, cover it, and refrigerate it until the cakes are ready to serve.
<br>
<br>Heat 2-3 Tbs olive or peanut oil in large skillet or on griddle over medium heat. Cook crab-meat patties 3-4 minutes per side or until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels. Top with sauce. Garnish (if you like) with wedges of lemon.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

#56150 03/18/02
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well now Ken we can always get us a ballin gun and put grub down one bite at a time! [Linked Image].
<br>
<br>I believe that I have seen the recipe you gave in and old and I do mean old Easter Shore recipe book. I do remember that I have seen the mayo/mustard combo used with crab cakes some where.
<br>
<br>BTW in the one I gave if you don't like/can't find Tarragon you can sub lemon juice.
<br>
<br>Are you making any progress in the swallow dept?
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
#56151 04/06/02
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go to the store and get yourself a can of old bay seasoning and follow the directions on the can. The recipe is a basic MD version and is pretty darn good.

IC B2

#56152 05/23/02
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Alrighty...time for someone FROM maryland and IN maryland who GREW UP in maryland to show ya'll how MARYLAND crabcakes are done. lol
<br>For 1 pound of meat:
<br>1 egg
<br>about 1/4 cup bread crumbs (best plain and homemade)
<br>3 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning (Old Bay, nothing else will do)
<br>1 tsp. pepper (ground well, not rough)
<br>*Add everything together, mix well but not roughly. Form into fair sized balls, flatten slightly. you can bake them, you can fry them, or you can "saute" them in a frying pan. Add some fresh corn and a salad, or make a sandwich of them. The key to good crabcakes is that they are CRABcakes...not breadcakes. If it seems you have too much crumbs, add meat (if you can) if it seems the crab won't stick together, add some bread. the crumbs are there to make it all stick and to give substinance to the cake. you can never have too much old bay. try (after cooking) to make a crabcake sandwich with a little old bay sprinkled on the cake and butter on toast...yum! Time to go crabbin'. Best of luck in your endeavours. Stephanie:)
<br>btw- if you can't get Old Bay out there, i can ship ya some. a big can's about 6$ here.
<br>

I may be little but this miss knows her deer!
#56153 05/23/02
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you need old bay, i'll trade your for some octyflitters. Stephanie [Linked Image]

I may be little but this miss knows her deer!
#56154 05/25/02
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just found Old Bay Seasoning on the Safeway shelf here in Oregon! I swear I smelled it thru the can,before I saw it.Somebody sent me some from the midwest yrs ago and I'v been trying to find it ever since. Thats good stuff! I use it on everything.
<br>Jeff

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

#56155 05/25/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wonder if we have it up here in British Columbia? I have never heard of it before but now will have to try it.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
#56156 05/25/02
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hey Partsman, where you at in BC? I am more or less about 100 miles south of Vancouver. We go to Victoria a couple times a year just so I can get some of the finest fish and chips on the planet. But we are always looking for new places to go and we really like Canada, good folks and great sites to see. Do you think it might be possible to get together some time? I would like to meet the folks on this board at least the local guys.
<br>Old Bay Seasoning is really good stuff We get it here at our local Safeway.
<br>This is Hood Canal shrimp season limit 80 and they are all tasty all 80 of them.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
IC B3

#56157 05/25/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I am in Port Coquitlam area, about a half hour from downtown Vancouver. Have relatives on the Island but don't go there much due to high cost of ferry. Have not been to the states for about 10 years due to low Canadian Dollar. But I would say it is always possible to try and get together, if I can get the wife to give me some free time. There always seems to be something else they want done. I have been down all the way to San Diego and walked into Tijuana, and all the way up to Fairbanks Alaska, but since I got married, I am only allowed to the corner stores and work.[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
#56158 05/31/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess I said something wrong Bullwnkl, I have not seen a reply from you, or did my wife call and say I can't come out to play?[Linked Image]

#56159 06/01/02
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Sorry about that Partsman, I have been back to work and been real busy. Next Vacation will be this fall plan to get to Montana and meet Ken Howel, my buddy lives in the same town as Doc Howel. I may get up to Vancouver this summer, I have not been there in 30 years or more. Usually just go around. I have to do some work on the small travel trailor so it can be towed by my Trooper then we will do a little traveling on week ends. I'll be in touch when we come north if you don't mind.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
#56160 06/01/02
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shouldn't be a problem, I told the wife I may be trying to get some time to head down that way if we got a chance to meet if schedules permit. She finds it amusing that I chat with all these people on the web and have never met them. Oh well at least she knows I am not chasing women, although there was that rumour about Big Stick elsewhere on this forum.[Linked Image]
<br>Bill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 34 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,764
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.