Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
hey guys, thought I'd run this by you. I'm looking into getting a bigger pack for 4-7 day backpack hunts and meat hauling.

here's the deal. I already have the MR Nice frame and was thinking about getting the 6500 for it, and call it good. I like how the frame fits, but I have not hauled anything with it.

Now I've been reading about the Kifaru packs and it's got me thinking about selling the nice frame? Looking at either the new UL5200 or the longhunter?

I'm a little concerned about how the UL will hold up because I'm pretty rough on packs when hunting. But, both packs are lighter than the MR stuff...

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, and would love to hear your opinions on both of these options. I'm having a hard time deciding. I've searched and read, and started to get the feeling that the MR stuff was not as good as the Kifaru stuff. Am I way off on that one?

anyway, fire away with your thoughts on which one i should get/keep.

thanks guys for helping me sort out my thoughts

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
have both, love the weight savings in the K UL series

but as you stated if you're tough on packs believe I'd go the MR

whether boats, cars or packs, toughness adds weight

the MR is definitely a heavy system, but pretty well bomb proof

the Kifaru UL definitely saves weight, lots of it in fact in your two examples, but I can't imagine it being as durable as a MR, even though it's well made

aluminum crunches easier than steel, but steel weighs more.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How much for your MR frame?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Kifaru has a new one coming out thats in between the KU line and their other stuff- might be worth a look

MR stuff is bulletproof, a bit old school and a tad heavier overall

Or you can get a Mchale pack like I'm doing for about the same $$

All good choices

Personally, I didn't like the Eberle Blue Widow I tried when it came to hauling meat

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can't speak to the Kifaru UL's or the MR Nice Frame with 6500 pack, but I do have a Kifaru Longhunter Standard that I'm very happy with. Although it is a bit heavier than the UL series it carries extremely well with the weight I plan to carry (35 to 75 pounds). Kifaru does a great job in customizing the pack to maximizing comfort for your body size. The accessories, cargo seat, fleece panels, gunbearer, etc. are top notch. I'm sure the larger guide series is equally great.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
thanks guys for the great info, i'll look into the mchale as well. not sure i'm selling the frame yet, but i'll let ya know if i do.

i wonder how much i'd be out if i ordered the 6500 and tried it the rest of this year, and sold it if i didn't like it?

hmmm, i'll keep looking, and try to order something the end of this week.

thanks again guys

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have used all of the packs that you have mentioned, so feel free to shoot me an email with any questions.

I would also take a look at the Kifaru Timberline. It may be a good option as well.

theelkreaper77hotmail.com

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It is a personal discission but after owning both I will put my vote on Kifaru. Both are very well built and have their credits, but comfort and weight will always go to Kifaru for me.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a MR and have a Kifaru Long Hunter Guide. I have a few Kifaru packs and like them better than any others for hunting.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have not used either of the big packs but my kifaru spike camp is something nice.

If i was purchasing a big pack it would be kifaru for sure. Mystery ranch just doesn't suit my philosophy,(they go overkill to make sure it never fails and will last forever), its not an efficient design. I really like being efficient in all aspects, especially gear.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Biggs300
Kifaru does a great job in customizing the pack to maximizing comfort for your body size.

I feel that a little more clarification of this statement is necessary. Kifaru does not make custom packs in the same way that McHale does. Kifaru's packs are all the same, but the belts, which are easily changed by the user, come in three sizes. When you tell Kifaru your specific measurements, they pick the correct belt and then set up (adjust) the pack to fit you. It's important to point this out because it means that you can buy a used Kifaru pack, and as long as the belt is the correct size, you can readjust it to fit you, even if the former owner was fatter/skinnier and taller/shorter than you. Even if the belt is the wrong size, you can sell it and purchase the correct one.

You can also share packs among friends and family. For instance, I have an MMR and a Molle Express. I've bent custom stays for my packs because my back shape is odd (deep lumbar curve, but no bulbous buttocks). My wife doesn't hunt, but she does backpack with me. When she backpacks, I just swap out the stays and the belt on the Molle Express, readjust everything, and she then has a pack custom fit to her body. It really does work nicely!

Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's worth noting the MR is quite adjustable as well for height width etc. And as stated... Bombproof. I just packed out most of a moose on my NiCE frame, and had it strapped down under my long bow pack, rather than in my crewcab, which would no doubt have been the better solution. So much so in fact that the long bow is never, never going moose hunting again... Point of the story being, my buddy looked at it and shook his head, saying "your gonna destroy your pack." but, it's MR, and pedictably got the job done, as comfortably as you could expect, and of course without failing in any way...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yep, you've got a tough choice ahead of you! The good thing about your decision is that you can't make a bad one with these two companies.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm looking at getting a bigger pack myself. I love my MR Big Horn. It makes the weight disappear. For bigger packs I'm looking at the MR Grizzly, Kodiak, or NICE 6500. For Kifarus I am looking at the MMR, AG2, or EMR. All of these packs are around the same weight. For me MR gets the edge since they already have some external pockets to better organize gear. With Kifaru I'd have to buy extra pockets. I know the hunting line is lighter but Kifarus hunting line doesn't really appeal to me. So organization might be something to look at.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hiked with a guy a couple of weekends ago who had a MR packbag on a Kifaru frame. Looked good, worked great. Best of both worlds.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I owned a MR CC for a while then a LB. Great packs, but I could never get over how much they weighed. Thought about the Kifaru UL, but the silnylon pack bag was a nonstarter, even with (2) layers.

Ended up selling my MR stuff and investing the proceeds in a fully custom McHale. My McHale is made out of 500d Cordura and Dyneema, both of which have proven to be very durable. It weighs between 4 - 5 lbs, depending on how I set it up, and holds up to 4700 ci. Since receiving it last December, I've used it around 40 days in the field and have been very pleased with it. One more option among many.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I really like the old Kifaru Longhunter and new UL5200 with extra pockets. The old Longhunter has served perfectly for 10 years. This year I got the UL for a 12 day hunt for stone sheep . It served perfectly. I drop the extra pockets and use the UL as a daypack when the tent is set up. On a weekend alpine deer hunt a week ago I put the pockets in the pack (organized the stuff) as I had plenty of room.........and if I would have had to pack a buck, could have put them on the outside to gain room. Comfortable and about 3#s to 3-3/4#s depending on whether some or all the pockets are attached (I have 5 in all). I'd buy another without hesitation.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I am new to backpack hunting and used a MR CrewCab on a recent Mountain Goat hunt in BC. I think the pack worked great for my needs. I plan on buying a 6500 bag to go over my NICE frame in the future.
The bag is bombproof - a little heavy - but you can make up for the weight with proper gear ... lighter sleeping bag, raingear....
Properly fit the MR bag rode well both up and downhill with between 20-70lbs on my back for the hunt.
I cant complain and it was some of the best money I spent on gear for this hunt

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Kifaru G2 Longhunter, and thinking it is my finest piece of equipment, EVER. It's comfort is incredible, and quality seems perfect. It is heavy, weighs in at just over 10 lbs., and that includes the cargo chair, top hood, a possibles pouch and a GPS pouch. My pack weight this season was just shy of 50 lbs, carried like a dream. I know that is a pretty light pack weight, but that was my goal. To me, the beauty of the Longhunter is the option of stripping off the bag and going with just the frame and pockets of your choice. I had a MR Cerberus for one season, I think I did not have it fitted properly as the thing killed my shoulders after one day. I sent that one down the road, though it's quality seemed very, very good. I feel Kifaru presents far greater options with all of their pockets, poches, etc. Sure are pricy, but worth every penny.

Brent

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
wow guys, awesome info. it's always a little tough deciding between two good choices, but i'm getting there. I think I'm going to hold onto my MR nice frame for now. but a member here made me a good offer on a kifaru longhunter that i'm buying from him to try out and see what i think.

the timberline pack looks like it would be a great pack, so i'll keep that in mind as i continue to look for m perfect pack:)

i looked into the Mchale packs, and while i'm sure they are great, i just couldn't get to excited about them.

the UL5200 looks almost perfect, except that fabric makes me a little nervous. I'll follow those as they get a little more use in the real world.

thanks again guy for all your great input.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 21, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.