Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I think you are onto something Mesa. It is a cartridge for those with experience IMO. It was likely folks who attempted raking angles and such who were met with poor results.

Before photobucket crashed my first account I had a real old pic of my co-workers Grampa in California with his 25-36 1893 Marlin in one hand with a rope halter on a very young Mule Deer and in the other hand was cradled a pretty good size Mule Buck head.
The rifle resides in the safe until my Friend decides he wants to proceed with the government paperwork.
I'll go easy on Rick99 and not post pics of this one. grin

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey all,
I promised many moons ago to post pics of the VLR when it arrived, well it took its sweet time, just shy of 8 months to get across the border. I am pretty happy with it although it doesn't shoot worth beans. Still working on that tho....

For those who may have forgotten, our family homestead is now a hayfield, once in a while Dad turns the sods to get the hay growing again. He hated doing it as it dredged up so much scrap iron and spikes etc. I took it upon myself to go out and pick up what I could and while some folks would consider it junk it helped solve a few mysteries regarding their hunting rifles.

I located a Stevens VLR receiver in the field in June, then later in the fall a Remington 12 receiver in the remnants of the blacksmith shop. I could not resist getting a couple of these 22s, being trained on a Browning trombone pump 22s are a favorite of mine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The 12A will put bullets into one hole shooting freehand at 40 feet, while the VLR does an 1 1/4 group at the same range, shooting CCI subsonic shorts. Going to try some Longs or Long Rifle and maybe it will like them more.

In other news we go to the layer on Friday to put my name on the homestead title, much to my delight. There is lots of work needed to be done there but to raise the kids in the country in this day and age is rare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an octagon barrel Remington 12C and love it. They are well made old guns and a joy to shoot.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Phil99
I've got an octagon barrel Remington 12C and love it. They are well made old guns and a joy to shoot.

Rod

I sure like the 12C Uncle Reuben gave me too, the externals are pretty good but the bore is a sewer pipe, and the bullets rarely hit paper. eek

Last edited by Supersporter40; 09/08/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't know how I missed this thread first time around, maybe with all the packing up & hospital time I guess. Really enjoyed the pics & stories. Just a wonderful thread

Johno

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I sure like the 12C Uncle Reuben gave me too, the externals are pretty good but the bore is a sewer pipe, and the bullets rarely hit paper. eek

See if you can find a 'smith that can put a liner into the barrel. Maintains the looks with a new barrel. Usually not very expensive.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 12C that shoots great and is a beautiful piece to boot. All of my rifles are in gunsafes except my childhood Winchester 62A and Rem. 12C, both of which hang on the wall in my library when not being shot...just to pretty to hide!

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Supersporter40
Originally Posted by Phil99

Rod

SS did you ever locate any of the Savages that your famile owned ,,and do you know if any were sold this last year,,
Norm

PM me if you wish

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi Norm,
Well I did find out some info, but it is none that folks want to hear. My Great Uncle Leif who used the Supersporter 40 in 250-3000 was the main person who got me thinking about collecting some of these rifles.

Sad part of it is, I never met the man, he was shot in the back just outside the little town of Didsbury Alberta in 1966 if memory serves. The gun he was shot with was his own Savage 40. The case was never solved, the coroner said it was murder as he was shot in the back, but the Sheriff thought it was suicide.
Anyway, the coppers showed up at the Eldest Erickson brothers place and gave Uncle Egil the gun, his son ended up with it but he cannot recall what happened to it from there. Sometimes finding out family history cannot get any worse.

Uncle Reuben who had a small 1899/99 in 303 sold his in an auction years ago and really regretted that, as well as his `73 Winchester in 44WCF. He would have given them to me to take care of too.

I am trying to find a little Savage 303 in a short rifle or take down but I am usually too late, except when the opportunity to pay piracy level for guns that are just not worth it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Supersporter40
Hi Norm,
Well I did find out some info, but it is none that folks want to hear. My Great Uncle Leif who used the Supersporter 40 in 250-3000 was the main person who got me thinking about collecting some of these rifles.

Sad part of it is, I never met the man, he was shot in the back just outside the little town of Didsbury Alberta in 1966 if memory serves. The gun he was shot with was his own Savage 40. The case was never solved, the coroner said it was murder as he was shot in the back, but the Sheriff thought it was suicide.
Anyway, the coppers showed up at the Eldest Erickson brothers place and gave Uncle Egil the gun, his son ended up with it but he cannot recall what happened to it from there. Sometimes finding out family history cannot get any worse.

Uncle Reuben who had a small 1899/99 in 303 sold his in an auction years ago and really regretted that, as well as his `73 Winchester in 44WCF. He would have given them to me to take care of too.

I am trying to find a little Savage 303 in a short rifle or take down but I am usually too late, except when the opportunity to pay piracy level for guns that are just not worth it.

don,t know if your still around but if you are check the flashing flag,at top called my stuff ,i would like to talk .
NORM

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking at these photos brings tears to my eyes , because i know most in them have pasted on. They lived in a time we will never see again and used rifles and cal's that people today would think they are to small for squirrel hunting. One more example of people who can shoot don't need magnum cal to take big game. Thanks for sharing a piece of hunting history. You have a family to be proud of.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (257wthbylover, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,117
Posts18,522,844
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.