Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
During the 60's, 70's and 80's, Puma made knives from a couple of different steels: "Pumaster" steel, which is a carbon steel that has been nickle or chrome plated to help protect it from rust; and "inox" or "Rostfrei" stainless. I don't know a lot about different stainless alloys, but I've seen in print where Puma used D.1 stainless and 440C stainless. Don't know the difference between these two.

Now my question: For a "using" knife for gutting and skinning big game, which of the Puma steels holds an edge the best?

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stay away from the new china made Puma,they use a mystery steel.Any of the older Puma will hold a edge with the best production knives.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will cost a little more, but I collect pre-64 (no serial number on the guard) Puma's and feel that will be the best way for you to go if you want quality.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys!

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mink
It will cost a little more, but I collect pre-64 (no serial number on the guard) Puma's and feel that will be the best way for you to go if you want quality.

About 20 years ago I got a PUMA lock back knife as a gift.
It has a single 3" blade. On the blade is PUMA HANDMADE
and above that is a 6 digit number.

Question: Is that a serial number ?

Thanks

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skeezix

Now my question: For a "using" knife for gutting and skinning big game, which of the Puma steels holds an edge the best?

I should add its been an excellent using knife and the steel
holds an edge. Just trying to get some info on it.
Thanks

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hotload

About 20 years ago I got a PUMA lock back knife as a gift.
It has a single 3" blade. On the blade is PUMA HANDMADE
and above that is a 6 digit number.

Question: Is that a serial number ?

Thanks

On the lockbacks, the SN is usually on the thumb lever for the lock mechanism. On fixed blades it is on the guard.

Last edited by Mink; 09/08/11.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by Skeezix

I should add its been an excellent using knife and the steel
holds an edge. Just trying to get some info on it.
Thanks

They are indeed good knives. I have a Puma Prince that is probably 90's era, with some incrediable stag scales on it. Any of them made in Germany should still be considered "good", once they moved to Spain, etc... quality seems to have taken a hit.

For collectiable purposes, that is where the "pre-64's" really become desirable. If you can find a good user from that era, then you really have something. IMO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several Puma's. My two favorites were purchased new in the eighties. While doing line work I carried a 4 1/4" Mod 265 SS folder. I still have it. The checkering is worn smooth from pocket carry and a short 1/8" is missing from the tip due to my stupidity, I'm sure. I was always under the impression the the serial number on the lock release contains the 2 digit year date. I can't confirm this because mine starts with an 18, ends with an 81, and has an 84 in the middle. My # is 5 digits.

My other favorite Puma is the Hunter's Companion hunting knife that looks like an alligater. It points well and carries it's edge to the tip very well. I didn't care much for the snap sheath, so I had Melvin Dunn's daughter make me a pouch sheath for it. Before I found the likes of Bob Dozier and Gene Ingram, the Hunter's Companion was my carry knife for hunting.

FWIW, I have some newer Puma's that do not seem to be the same quality German steel as my older knives. Good luck.

Last edited by croldfort; 09/11/11.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by croldfort
I have several Puma's. My two favorites were purchased new in the eighties. While doing line work I carried a 4 1/4" Mod 265 SS folder. I still have it. The checkering is worn smooth from pocket carry and a short 1/8" is missing from the tip due to my stupidity, I'm sure. I was always under the impression the the serial number on the lock release contains the 2 digit year date. I can't confirm this because mine starts with an 18, ends with an 81, and has an 84 in the middle. My # is 5 digits.

My other favorite Puma is the Hunter's Companion hunting knife that looks like an alligater. It points well and carries it's edge to the tip very well. I didn't care much for the snap sheath, so I had Melvin Dunn's daughter make me a pouch sheath for it. Before I found the likes of Bob Dozier and Gene Ingram, the Hunter's Companion was my carry knife for hunting.

FWIW, I have some newer Puma's that do not seem to be the same quality German steel as my older knives. Good luck.

Looks like your's was made in the first quarter of 1984.

Puma date codes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

On the lockbacks, the SN is usually on the thumb lever for the lock mechanism.

Mink,
Yes... I see the Serial Number. Makes an excellent knife seem a little
more special. It was Made In Germany.

Thank You

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good deal, what model is it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good deal, what model is it?

Mink,
On the blade is the # 231265
It's above PUMA HANDMADE
Is that the model number ? confused

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Black handle with a goldish emblem, believe it is called the Captain. Never seen one in person. Nice knife though.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have one that is OD grenn scales with black bolsters that I bought new in West Germany in the 80's I believe it was called "the Sergeant".

I also have a Puma Bowie, and an "Automesser" as well from that time frame...

Should have bought more while I was stationed there.

Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool....I'm gonna how to get all mine out of the safe and start a Puma Knife thread. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Black handle with a goldish emblem, believe it is called the Captain. Never seen one in person. Nice knife though.

Mink,
That is the one. Always wondered about the goldish emblem.
I do not believe its solid gold. But it could be gold plated.
20 years later and still looks good. I like that name - The Captain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (10ring1, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 3,230 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.