Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by Mully
Was there a Savage Fest this year? I didn't see any info posted about it.

I will take the liberty of fielding this. Hopefully, others that were there will chime in. What there was was an impromptu gathering of a number of very fine folks that share the same interests. Over several years many of the folks that frequent this site have established lasting friendships. In what seemed like a flash, a few said "let's get together" then a few more and a few more, and a few more after that. What ended up happening was about 20/30 folks with their lovely wives and girlfriends, along with Fug's family, gathered together to make a weekend that will be a great memory forever. There was a combination, of hardware, information (literature), and shared knowledge that could have been found in only one place. Downeast Maine. Why, we even had Sarah Brady there. Ummmmmmmmmm, we MUST have had her there. She signed my Murray's 99 book. Did we have a Savage Fest in 2011?????????????? No,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WE HAD A FUG FEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin smile grin smile

.......and the rest can all go to *@*?*!!!!!!!

If you frequent the site you will realize this had more to do with enemies that were made over the years than with friends!......IMO

I have gone to two of the open FESTs � no matter what I felt about anyone there I tried to get along and put any differences or feelings aside to make the event better for the people who were just there to share and learn�.and that was always the big majority. The Ohio Fest was probably the most accessible to the most people and could have been the best ever is everyone would have set aside their differences just for a couple days (even if it would have meant that gun ties and no live ammo would have had to be the rule just to be safe!!! grin). You could go to any of Jed�s if he liked you or not frown , and you could go to Steve�s if you liked him or not!!!!! whistle

Most here were not privileged enough to know about this one and not privileged enough to go see the guns in person; but thankfully �the group� found the kindness deep in their heart�s to share their back patting and pictures! �..even of the lobsters they had for lunch to show us how well they all ate! Thank you all very much, as a humble token of my appreciation I will PM any attendees who want, a picture of my last meal. �unfortunately I did not take pictures before I ate it so all that will be available will be one of what�s left after a 24-hour trip through my intestines! laugh ...unless I keep reading much more of this then it might make it out way before 24 hr's... sick........

Gene
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Now is this any way to ACT? wink Maybe you dont have any friends, eek well your problem buddie. Maybe next time me and my FRIENDS get togather we will keep it to ourselves! grin

Last edited by saddlering; 09/15/11.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
another one, I have been working 12hr days so Ill be posting more pics, tommorow![Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gene, Sorry you feel that way about it, but when im invited to a friends house for a get together i don't really look at it in devious way. Some of these guys came to my home for the friday get together, then sat at Fugs,then back to my brothers place on Sun for a little R and R, i guess next time i will have to make my schedule public to all here !!!!! crazy crazy . Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeneB

I will take the liberty of fielding this. Hopefully, others that were there will chime in. What there was was an impromptu gathering of a number of very fine folks that share the same interests. Over several years many of the folks that frequent this site have established lasting friendships. In what seemed like a flash, a few said "let's get together" then a few more and a few more, and a few more after that. What ended up happening was about 20/30 folks with their lovely wives and girlfriends, along with Fug's family, gathered together to make a weekend that will be a great memory forever. There was a combination, of hardware, information (literature), and shared knowledge that could have been found in only one place. Downeast Maine. Why, we even had Sarah Brady there. Ummmmmmmmmm, we MUST have had her there. She signed my Murray's 99 book. Did we have a Savage Fest in 2011?????????????? No,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WE HAD A FUG FEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin smile grin smile

If you frequent the site you will realize this had more to do with enemies that were made over the years than with friends!......IMO

I have gone to two of the open FESTs � no matter what I felt about anyone there I tried to get along and put any differences or feelings aside to make the event better for the people who were just there to share and learn�.and that was always the big majority. The Ohio Fest was probably the most accessible to the most people and could have been the best ever is everyone would have set aside their differences just for a couple days (even if it would have meant that gun ties and no live ammo would have had to be the rule just to be safe!!! grin). You could go to any of Jed�s if he liked you or not frown , and you could go to Steve�s if you liked him or not!!!!! whistle

Most here were not privileged enough to know about this one and not privileged enough to go see the guns in person; but thankfully �the group� found the kindness deep in their heart�s to share their back patting and pictures! �..even of the lobsters they had for lunch to show us how well they all ate! Thank you all very much, as a humble token of my appreciation I will PM any attendees who want, a picture of my last meal. �unfortunately I did not take pictures before I ate it so all that will be available will be one of what�s left after a 24-hour trip through my intestines! laugh ...unless I keep reading much more of this then it might make it out way before 24 hr's... sick........

Gene, you are obviously a smart man..................BUT, why do you have to be such a jerk. This thing ws NOT planned in advance. It basically happened because Saddlering was coming to visit Don and myself. He's been to the vault before. I had the great luck to put the word out that I was looking for a "K" to hunt with or at LEAST shoot. DGF and Fug stepped up to the plate. DGF sent me some pictures, and though I liked what I saw, I wanted to look around. Then Fug contacted me and said he had some rifles for me to look at. I was in La La land when I first saw the "vault" at Don's. But ever since I got invited to Fug's I have been on absolute overload. When Fug heard that Saddlering was coming out for a visit, He invited us there. The other folks that were there, with the exception of Blair and JTC were either friends and relatives of Don, or friends, family and neighbors of Fug. In New England, we have a habit of being independent. We normally do what we want and say what we want. We had a get together and took some pictures, had a fantastic time and posted pictures. Our time was NOT a comparison to the great time at Jed's and as far as Stever goes, I have been quiet for many years about that fellow. Those of you that like him, I have NO problem with that. I choose to avoid him at all cost. I am in a position, where I have to spend my money and time wisely. New England and New York is just a hop skip and a jump for me. The mid-west is not. I have to draw the line somewhere. If I have to go somewhere and and tie wrap my guns to feel safe. I don't want to be there. If you feel the need for security, I personally don't want to be there either. I am not sorry. nor surprised that you feel the way you do. i would expect nothing less.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Gene.

I just went back and read this childish rant again. SIR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how DARE you, how fuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkking DARE you mention Fug and enemies in the same post. Fug has to be one of, if not THE kindest most knowledgable poster on this forum and you have the balls to say it's more about enemies that have been made than friendships. You SIR are TOTALLY full of chit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never a dull moment

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LBK - your taking things way to serious, maybe I did hit a nerve, if you look at the post again it's full of smiley faces and they should not be ignored, just lighten up!...learn to take a joke (even if you think it's a very bad one!)

Gene

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LBK - your taking things way to serious, maybe I did hit a nerve, if you look at the post again it's full of smiley faces and they should not be ignored, just lighten up!...learn to take a joke (even if you think it's a very bad one!)

Gene

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING you said NEEDED to be said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING you said NEEDED to be said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks LBK - this makes me realize I was right and did the right thing!!!! Don't make something public if you don't want comments from everyone which opens you to negatives - you should have handled all your kudos� privately just like you did setting the whole thing up, it was in the planning stage for about 6 months, was it not???? Much of what you said publicly could have been said privately and that would not have opened you receiving comments, and mine are probably in very poor taste, but that's the chance you take when going public!

I really am not mad or feel slighted and will not change how I share info or take part in discussions unless it becomes the general consensus that the majority wish me not to.

Gene

ADDED - No, I probably didn't do the right thing, but it's done....would I do something like this it again? Unfortunatly the answer to that is pobably yes based on my history! I probably have made thing worse than better but I have been getting the feeling that things might not get better - what I would like to see is a Fest where everyone sets aside their feelings for each other and really make it a great event.

Last edited by GeneB; 09/15/11. Reason: added note
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Look Jerk, I mean Gene, I was sposed to go see my 2 buddies that I, last visted 3 years ago! Doug found out I was there, and said If I ever came back, for us to drive over, So this time we did! No big PLAN, get over it! a few more were invited, guys that we all knew but for Blair, and Don had met him! Why dont you crawl back to your little hole!

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John; No problem, I tried a lame attempt at an apology, fine my comments weren�t necessary and in poor taste � but was all the trifle that�s been passed back and forth about this all necessary? I just started to feel it was starting to boarder on flaunting --- so I was wrong, sorry.

I also checked the response I got on the LBK scale - It wasn�t really that bad � it took him 7 letters less to spell F****K than his record � with this reply I hope to break that record!!! (I already contacted Guinness!)

The Jerk (formally Gene) -- lighten up people!!!!!

Last edited by GeneB; 09/15/11.

Gene
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This is really disheartening...some where, some how, I missed this fight brewing...this must be B.J. (Before John). I live in the Northeast and knew nothing of the divide...or for that matter the Fug Feast...but I really don't mind. I wish I could have gone as I am recovering from shoulder surgery with nothing to do but pick my arse...but no biggie. In time I am sure I will meet a lot of you folks in person. I have had the pleasure of meeting LBK, the chance to have a PM or 2 with FUG and the offer to go to Don's vault for a peek. I am sure if I was in the midwest or Canada, the same invitation would be extended.
I am baffled really...there seems to be some part of this that is lost through faceless computer jibber jabber that would probably disappear if we were all in a room together face to face. Computers, and texting and blogging have a way of really [bleep] up the art of communicating. I see it a lot...a whole generation is coming up behind us that cannot conversate because all they do is blog and text. Now I see it to some degree here.
Where the heck is JED???? He somehow disappeared to over some miscommunication or other...I don't know all the details or dynamics or demographics of this whole deal...not sure I want to. I wish we could all just stop the foolishness.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will leave with this offer:
Anytime anyone of you pussoires that are stirring schit and hiding behind your computer would like to step outside, please let me know...I will kick your girlie asses and thoroughly enjoy it! [bleep]! grin

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John
Looks like alot of top of the line guns there.WOW!!! But was there any Captain Morgan grin Someday I have to make the trip to visit Don and Dougs collections.Great group of guys with the best savages in existance.

Mike

Oh , Why the Fu.k was I not invited ! grin

Last edited by Savage99358; 09/15/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you do Chicago style? Yeah, I know. Off Topic. Still, a good pizza is a good pizza. Kinda like "a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke." wink Like to see you and the other Mike again. Still laughin' over "thanks for the fingerprints." grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Guys, its over, I got a bit pissed, not a biggie! I explained, and will not talk about it more, i have met alot of the folks on here, and have been here awhile now, never had any trouble before, so i dont think I was out of line.
Mike I would have loved to see you again, as we are buddies, and hope to see you and your other brother mike again, guess we just cant tell anyone, when we do, and Please dont have Anyone Wacked grin
Jack, you to, I can take care of myself, and fight my own fight if need be grin
Was going to post some pics today for my new to me old 1910 Leader Grade Rife, but will not post pics of guns anymore, as I dont want to show off! I plan to go see my GOOD Friends Loggah, LBK and FUG, again someday but will keep it to myself.
John

Last edited by saddlering; 09/16/11.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by saddlering
I plan to go see my GOOD Friends Loggah, LBK and FUG, again someday but will keep it to myself.
John

John, when you do that, let me know. Hopefully by then all this bullshit will be over and either fixed or behind me. It was nice to meet both you and Don on Sunday. It allowed me to remove myself from the situation for a bit.

Next time though, could you guys give me more than a 12 hr advance noticed that I am invited? LOL

My "tag puncher" is a Remington 7600 .35 Remington carbine!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ben you being Family and all YES! Im hopeing to draw a Moose tag one day! was good to meet you things WILL get better , just going to take some time!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a born smartass let me say this has been an interesting read and have laughed out loud at some of these posts. I wouldn't have gone anyway, I like warm water lobsters. ;-)

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I decided to put a couple things straight � my first post was not in response to the event being put on or even the way it was put on. I have no trouble with Doug having a private gathering including only people he wanted and really would expect nothing else with the collections he has � could anyone even imagine him openly posting on line the fact that his collection was going to be openly displayed and open it to anyone? His open displaying on his table at Tulsa has often surprised me. I have no problem with Doug doing it that way (and would not expect him to do otherwise!) and I think all have noticed that Doug has not participated in this public display at all. Unless someone tells me different I will assume that Doug has had nothing to do with much and I possibly misinterpreted some of what was happening wrong. Some have seemed to feel it necessary to defend him � my remarks have not been aimed at him but at those who seemed to have made this a thread for showing off and bragging, if that were not Doug�s intent than he needs no excuse!!! � If I find out he is behind this dog & pony show and some of those posting have only been serving as his trained ponies and jumping through hoops for him � then there is no excuse! I cannot see anyway to look at this whole project and see it as being something that was intended to have a positive effect on the Forum as a whole, and be a benefit to eh whole � everything I see points the other way.

. I enjoyed the first postings showing the guns and really was interested hearing some of the details on some very rare pieces that were pictured, the 22�s especially but it seems sharing information about the guns that were displayed with non-attendees was not a high priority. I really had no bad feelings toward anyone that attended either, that is until the contents of some posts started to change; and than it was only because of a couple individuals, I have not problems with other attendees. When the subject of pictures started to stray and the post started to look to me more like gloating fest made to mimic some earlier fests and became more about being there than just an attempt to just share the experience and knowledge is when I started to question the true intent of what was happening. I don�t know if I am looking at that part of it wrong, but I don�t see how else some of it can be interpreted? I really have to think that a lot of others have seen it that way also, apparently some who attended don�t see what it they way I do, but I have always tried to avoid putting my nose anywhere that allows my vision to be obstructed by someone�s gluteus maximi, so I often see things much different than some. If someone can explain to me that I am wrong, using facts, I would appreciate it � so far all responders seem to run out of facts in the first couple sentence and have to refer to name calling and spelling out swear words with as many letters as possible.

My first response included a quote �
�What there was was an impromptu gathering� and this was followed later by �This thing ws NOT planned in advance.�
I will go on record and put myself in line for more abuse by stating that that is an out and out lie! You have people flying in � did they just quick call and say �If I can get the pilot to put �er down right here I�ll stop by?� Do you really expect me, or anyone, to believe, after seeing the pictures of the setup for the event, that this was just put on spontaneously? .. or was it just stated to try and impress us more �WOW �and that was all set up in just a couple hours!!!! That group of people is even more amazing than I first thought!!!!!� �.You insult me if you think I would fall for that, and you also show a great deal of arrogance to think no one should respond negatively to you when you make such an outlandish statement � you say to me �how dare you� when I reacted to this - I say, how dare you to post such a fabrication!

That is really what invoked me to first post an opinion (and even then I wrote a response and decided not to post it, that is until I saw some of the newer posts � that�s why it�s several posts past the one I quoted � that�s also when I added the comment about getting sick). I had heard of the concept some months ago and from what I have heard since I believe that most that were invited, whether they attend or not, knew about 2 months in advance; also many who weren�t invited found out from those who were and knew of it about the same time. I hate to inform you LBK but if you really were just asked at the last minute than it may have just been in a last ditch effort to assemble enough bodies for a good group photo because of to many no shows. I hope this doesn�t deflate your ego any � you look so cute in those pictures all puffed up and strutin� like a prairie chicken during mating season. I think you had to question how long this event had been in the planning stages after you saw the setup and how it appeared to somewhat mimic past Savage Fests� unless you didn�t see much of it� where was your nose most of the weekend? If what I have heard is correct I think you might be shocked at some who were invited but didn�t attend - but only Doug would know that for sure.

I also see more arrogance in the response I have gotten � it seems like I really over stepped my place in the perceived social order here by targeting some of the �Savage collecting elite� with some raw satire. I seem to have ruffed more that just a few feathers, but of course, I was quickly put back in my proper place back at the bottom of the pecking order in a very adult manner (as compared to my �childish rant�) - �how DARE you, how fuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkking DARE you� by LBK who appears to have appointed himself to the position of Head Pecker (I think I have those last two words put in the correct order). Remember you are the ones that have put on this public display � if you are to thin skinned to handle a couple �cat calls� from one who you apparently feel is supposed to be designated only to the back row of the peanut gallery then you shouldn�t have gotten on the stage! � I really don�t know what kind of response you really expected to get from your little show? - ?? Just a long series of compliments with a rousing round of applause at the end and a call for an encore???? (Also I do not mind the company in the peanut gallery).

If I had been part of this event and saw how it ended up being finally presented publicly I would have been embarrassed about having been part of it! You can believe this or not, those members who know me a little better know that I am totally serious when I say that � and those who don�t have to realize by now that I definatly am not concerned about stepping on enough toes to make sure I will never be included if something like this is ever staged again! (and I state again that I had no problem with how this all started out).

Some arrogance, bragging, showing off, payback & etc are all a parts of human nature that are present in us all, and are to be expected on occasion from us all in some form & to some extent � this also should be tolerated to some extent by us all� I felt this had gone past the point for a reasonable expectation of tolerance and my reaction to it is was also a part of human nature. �and possibly also excessive, but what did you all expect?

It is really a shame that the efforts to stage a large more open gathering seem to always get hindered by just a few that that have a dislike for the person trying to put it on - there are very few with the resources to run an event like the Fests and even fewer willing to try (especially since what has surrounded the last few) and nobody is going to be liked by 100% of the members. Since this a Savage forum I will use 99% as the number of members here that I think could care less one way or the other who likes who and just want to get together to look and learn about Savage�s � if my recent actions only get some attention drawn away from ill feelings toward those trying to stage an event and that somehow makes the event a little better for others - even if I can�t go to it! � than possibly something will have been accomplished. As a disappointing note though, I have heard a rumor that some have already stated that they will not attend Stever�s next year simply because certain people were not excluded � this is even before it is know if those individuals actually will attend!

The jerk (formally known as Gene)

I had thought of not posting any more after I got back from Ohio but I see that some subtle comments were still being made not only in this thread but in others as well and I realized that in the past I often felt I had not said enough about certain things here that I thought were wrong, and I regretted that � I think I may have more than made up for the past with what I have said here but at least I will have a different reason to regret this - if I ever do regret it. I would prefer to leave standing up with the sun shinning on my nose that to have to keep it somewhere else to stay!

PS I never respond to my own posts - if you wish this to end by not posting more it will - I have taken my turns in the past of not reponding and "crawing back into my hole"! I don't care where you think I might be on the social ladder here - this time I feel it's about time to be your turn to crawl back into a hole!!!! smirk

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 1,834 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,036
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.