Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don,
<br>
<br>well said... I personally do not use a bench. I use a bi-pod and a sand sock. The Ultra LRH do and use it quite effectively. Some of the LRH also use what looks like a surveyors tripod with a craddle of sorts mounted on top. With this you can rotate 360 degrees and elevate what seems like 45 degreees up or down. You can also stand while shooting.
<br>
<br>

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NO,
<br>
<br>I saw what you posted but for some reason it appears as though you edited it and deleted it.. If you care to post again I will elaborate!!!!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Don Knows
<br>
<br>Very well said indeed.
<br>
<br>I use a bench for the heavy guns and for Ultra longrange "hunting" and a bi-pod on the lighter rifles and for medium Longrange "hunting."
<br>
<br>I believe Ric (Whowhisper) uses a bi-pod with his medium longrange rifles also.
<br>
<br>A bi-pod certainly helps with the rifle accuracy over most off hand shooters at extended range. The famed David Tubbs would take exception to that statement though.
<br>
<br>Good luck to you
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel
<br>
<br>

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A most civilized discussion on a topic that tends to become quite heated as a rule. All participants are to be commended. It's really rather refreshing to read this type of dicussion. .... That being said,....
<br>
<br>I do not make a habit of taking animals at long ranges. I do make a habit of shooting between 3000 and 4000 rounds annually at ranges of 300 to 600 yards. It's been my experience that practicing at longer ranges makes me a better shot at closer ranges. Some of the areas that I hunt are a patch work of canyons and mesas. More than occassionally you will see exactly that animal you want across a canyon somewhere. having the practiced ability and the right equipment for shooting at ranges of 300 to 500 yards coupled with a rifle and load that are proven at those ranges does wonders for increasing confidence. Knowing how to dope the wind across a canyon, and being willing to wait for the perfect shot reduces a considerable amount of the error potential.
<br>
<br>I can't prove it, but I would suspect that far more animals are wounded by hunters trying to take a quick shot at 30 or 50 yards offhand, than are wounded by hunter missing an animal at 500 yards. It's like any other physical endeavor. The more you train the better you get. Having faith in your equipment is also a big plus.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Dan in Arizona
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys,
<br>
<br> I would like to add my comment on this discussion. I am a long range hunter. There are and will always be situations where taking long range shots for me are the only choice if I want to take a shot. I hunt in Arizona, and it is not uncommon to take shots at 300 yards plus. There is no bragging or ego's involved. Here in this state there is not too many shots that are under 200 yards. The game here in the desert and the desert terrain is brutal, so in order to have better odds, we use the long range method to inprove the odds. I have friends that usually take 400 yard + shots and CLEANLY kill there animal. This is done and is possilbe by knowing your rifle and how it shots at certain yards, Having a range Finder, and practicing with you gun at those ranges. We have targets set up at 300, 400, 500 and even 600 yards. We constantly shoot at them. my limit is 350, because of the caliber I shoot, but give me my friends gun, I would not hesitat to shoot at game over 500 yards. Practice and knowing the range is the key to LRS. Knowing the wind is also a big key aswell.
<br>
<br> To sum it up, I don't hunt or shoot long range for fun or to brag or uphold an ego. I do it to have a chance to take an animal. I always heard it won't die unless lead flies. I believe that, but if you don't have a range finder and don't know the ability of your gun at those ranges and have a good rest, then you have no business shooting at those distances.
<br>
<br> I hope you can understand why I do the LRS thing and were not affended by it. I just wanted to share why I do it.
<br>
<br>86

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

D
D
Nothing like shooting a praire maggot at 700+ yards .243 and to knock it down with one shot.. or couse deer on the other side of the canyon with a 22-250... But i also like to shoot them close....
<br>
<br>If you know your gun and you know how to shoot then great.. if you dont then you shouldnt be shooting at distanses you dont feel comfortable... I know guys who are crack shots but dont feel comfortable at over 200 yards, but they dont whine when I pop them at long range either.... matter of fact 2 of my buddies spot for me ..
<br>
<br>Delw
<br>

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Dave, your reply was excellent, but I would like to add a point or two. What makes a LRH different from a not so long range hunter (NSLRH [Linked Image] ) is superior skill in rifle-craft. That's it. A LRH is someone who takes the time and effort to know his trajectories, and has developed his skill in determining wind drift at various distances. Most hunters just sight their rifles in so that they pretty much always aim dead on, out to 300 yards or so, and then a little high after that (assuming they ever take farther shots). You take it a step or two farther, and develope these skills in a finer way. Stalking is not the only hunting skill. Knowing your weapon thoroughly is another skill which can be developed to extremely high levels. I think this person just secretly wishes he could master his weapon as well as LRHs have.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been holding my keys for the likes of this post, just trying to sit back and learn a thing or two from the other side of the pasture.
<br>
<br>I have been in between long range and what some call a more realistic approach to hunting yardages for quite some years now. I believe a lot of the problem with those that don't shoot over say 350 yards is there lack of knowledge and experience in the field with shooting a rifle. Also their decline not to put in the necessary time and effort it takes to accomplish the feats in the first place. Many of the Hum Drum hunting society today are just plan ignorant of what it is all about in the first place. Their somewhat perhaps lack of gray matter, can't possibly want to fathom the idea that there are those of us who can hit a deer at 700 yards, or put a raking shot on an elk at 600 yards using a premium bullet by the way. Oh! It just can't be done in their minds................Well some of you rocking chair buzzards
<br>holding on to what you believe is the only way, ought to get off the front porch and get a real grip of what is going on in the real world today with those hunters that can accomplish such feets of shooting while hunting.
<br>
<br>There are always going to be Nah sayers no matter how much effort is given to try and explain to them about the technical part of shooting long range and hitting your mark. I myself don't bother any more. I make the decisions to pull the trigger.........It is my right as a taxpayer and hunter. Hell, all my shots are just lucky ones anyway right? Those that are skilled with a rifle at long range shooting are not SLOBS when it comes to hunting, lets get that straight right from the get go.
<br>
<br>I get real tired of hearing the old addages of some old timer, telling me I should shoot them at a 100 yards. Better yet saying: Gee! Don't you have the skills to get closer to your pray,..............................give me a brake. Perhaps next time out, I should just hunker up next to them and slit their throat with my knife instead. I have been belly close to elk in the black timber and have taken pictures of bulls not more than 30 feet away. So all this bunk being thrown at "long range hunters," hunters who choose to harvest game their way, with excellent marksmanship and learned technical skills that others don't pocess is a case of simple Bull Sh*$ gentlemen.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (21, 17CalFan, 219DW, 1234, 219 Wasp, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,464
Posts18,508,265
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.