Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Keith

I realize that the .17HMR isn't a preferred rifle for coyotes. I don't disagree with what you posted. My coyote rifle of choice when allowed centerfire is the .17Rem and it has worked perfect for me. But here in CT those just are not options on State land. I said this before and maybe you didn't see it. The guy that buys my coyotes doesn't like them shot with bow or shotgun, that is his preference and he pays me well and has never not bought any of my animals from me. So to keep him happy now that I don't have private land to hunt I am stuck with .22LR or 17HMR. I will be using the .20gr bullets and keeping the shots under 100yards and see how it worksout for me.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 09/04/11.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was stating minimum calibers for sure kills.

I was aware that these are not calibers that you can shoot, kinda like advising you to not go elephant hunting with a 222 Rem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
9 pages and nobody has suggested using the 5mm Rem Mag ?????

Not that I ould consider it the best choice for 'yotes by any stretch. But given the parameters of your laws, it's be the best viable option, for sure. 30 grainers in the 2350-2440 fps. range. Oughta take a good bit of spunk out of any coyote to 200 yards with a ribcage shot. Won't DRT them, but it WILL work.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yoder409 that is intresting. Doesn't sound like an easy find for rifle and ammo. That is from what little I just read on it. I am wondering what DEP here would say to it. I will ask tomorrow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Yoder409 that is intresting. Doesn't sound like an easy find for rifle and ammo. That is from what little I just read on it. I am wondering what DEP here would say to it. I will ask tomorrow.

Well.........it is rimfire. It's .20 caliber. If the .17 Ho-Hummer is allowable, then the 5 Mag should fall into legality along the same line of reasoning (if reason plays into their laws at all).

The rifles are on GunBroker all the time. The ammo is readily available from Cabela's, Sportman's Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, Midway, Natchez.......

Some rifle listings:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=249464750
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=249465733
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=249223676
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=249894645

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cool thanks for that info. I am going to talk to DEP tomorrow just to be clear. As the reg's book says .22lr and .17hmr. Yes this state has no reason for anything they write into law.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
MontanaCreekHunter, that 5mm Remfire mag is a great upgrade from the 17 HMR, sounds like you have a winner!!! Good luck!

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I talked to DEP today and no solid response. He ask if it was rim fired, I said yes. He said he didn't see were it wouldn't be legal. So I am going to CAll DEP headquarters and see what they say. Might be right Keith.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So if 22lr is allowed and 17HMR is allowed then 22mag should also be allowed. Apparently 22 caliber rounds and cases that are as large as the 17HRM are allowed. Given that 22mag is also allowed.

[Linked Image from ]
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here it is cut and copied from the CT DEP.

Rifles and Handguns- Rifles or handguns using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges are prohibited on state-owned land. Rifles or handguns of any caliber are prohibited on State-leased and Permit-Required Hunting Areas (see Permit-Required and State-Leased Hunting Area sections for exceptions). The use of rifles or handguns to hunt turkeys, waterfowl, or any other federally regulated migratory game bird (except crows) is prohibited. Hunting on private land with ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle during the private land shotgun/rifle deer season is prohibited unless the user has a valid private land deer season permit and landowner consent form. The use of rifles or revolvers to hunt deer is subject to additional restrictions (see Private Land Shotgun/Rifle Season). The use of ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle to hunt raccoon or opossum at night is prohibited. A person using a handgun for hunting must possess any required state/town permits to carry. Note that it is legal to use .17 caliber rimfire firearms in all situations where it is legal to use .22 caliber rimfire long rifle firearms.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
As you can see in the last sentance they only address two calibers the .22LR and .17HMR. So I talked to a DEP agent I know fairly well today. He didn't want to answer the question clearly so I am going to call Headquarters tomorrow.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Here it is cut and copied from the CT DEP.

Rifles and Handguns- Rifles or handguns using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges are prohibited on state-owned land. Rifles or handguns of any caliber are prohibited on State-leased and Permit-Required Hunting Areas (see Permit-Required and State-Leased Hunting Area sections for exceptions). The use of rifles or handguns to hunt turkeys, waterfowl, or any other federally regulated migratory game bird (except crows) is prohibited. Hunting on private land with ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle during the private land shotgun/rifle deer season is prohibited unless the user has a valid private land deer season permit and landowner consent form. The use of rifles or revolvers to hunt deer is subject to additional restrictions (see Private Land Shotgun/Rifle Season). The use of ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle to hunt raccoon or opossum at night is prohibited. A person using a handgun for hunting must possess any required state/town permits to carry. Note that it is legal to use .17 caliber rimfire firearms in all situations where it is legal to use .22 caliber rimfire long rifle firearms.

There must be some sort of prejudice against the 22 magnum within the DNR due to it's use by Poachers..

That's about the only thing I could think of that would make them draw up such regs. frown

It can't be ricochet potential, because they could always mandate Hollow point slugs for the 22 mag to lessen that.

Last edited by jim62; 09/06/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't think they had any reasoning behind their drawing up the Regs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Still working on an answer.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
22 Mag is the poacher's prefered caliber of choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any progress ??

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not looking good right now. I have to get a 5mm round for them to compare with the .17HMR and .22LR.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one that went through the wash if you're interested.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5 mm rem specs laid out in wiki. Also how it may be a bit hard to find something to shoot it with.
Mexican ammunition doesn't excite me either

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
They (DEEP) have the specs and want to see the cartrage.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,943
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.