Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
ingwe;
I hope this finds you and yours well tonight ingwe.

As a serious student of history, military history in particular and then Canadian military history for certain, I ran across this chap who doesn't get a lot of "air play" but ran up an impressive record in battle anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Pegahmagabow

Hopefully the link works OK. I note he's credited with 378 confirmed kills, most with a Ross no less. wink

I would suggest he must have figured out how to reassemble the bolt correctly so as not to lose his dentures over the deal?

Other writers have put the number as much higher than the one quoted in Wiki, but they weren't all witnessed and as he was First Nations, I suspect didn't always receive equitable treatment in some circles.

Anyway, he was one Canuck responsible for a lot of non-responsive Huns with a .303.

Good luck to you in the upcoming season ingwe.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne:

If you haven't yet read the book it is well worth your time.

http://www.goodreports.net/reviews/threedayroad.htm

Regards,
Nic

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
n007;
Thank you kindly for the book recommendation Nic, I will definitely see if I can lay hands on it for winter reading season.

I hope this finds you and yours well this very warm evening sir. We're at over 30� during the day, which makes it tough to get excited about hunting really - but of course we will be up on the hill at first light anyway! grin

All the best luck in your upcoming hunts this season and thanks again for the book report.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good hunting!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the 303 has probably killed more game in Africa than any other cartridge, what more is there to say.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dad's old 303 filled the freezer of moose meat every year of my youth until I turned 15 and I started going out with the tractor and the benet with my brothers and get us a moose too. It was my first big game rifle, certainly a big jump from the Kooey repeater 22 that I used to shoot partridges and rabbits with. Kinda nostalgic and a beloved rifle in many Canadian homes.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a serious student of history, military history in particular and then Canadian military history for certain, I ran across this chap who doesn't get a lot of "air play" but ran up an impressive record in battle anyway.

<snip>

Anyway, he was one Canuck responsible for a lot of non-responsive Huns with a .303.

Dwayne

I missed this before, but thanks for posting this Dwayne!

from that link: "In February, 1915, he was deployed overseas with the 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion of the 1st Canadian Division � the first contingent of Canadian troops sent to fight in Europe."

My Grandfather was in the same first contingent of Canadian troops sent to Europe (it was Ontario based, where both men were from). He saw a lot of action -- it is interesting to wonder if the two ever met.

It is possible: there were only 1121 men, and they were together for years. There were a lot less of the original group as time went on too. frown Ypres (where the Germans used gas for the first time) was a bad one -- the Canadians were the only lines that did NOT break during the gas attack and my Grandfather (who kept firing his Vickers machine gun) was one of them.

In addition to Ypres, both men also fought at the battle of Passchendaele.

Interesting to think of anyway. Sorry for the rambling... and thanks again Dwayne.

Added note to stay on topic: My first rifle for hunting moose and deer was a borrowed Lee-Enfield .303 too. 180gr for deer, 215 grainers for moose! smile

John

Last edited by jpb; 09/10/11. Reason: added something actually on topic!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ingwe;
I hope this finds you and yours well tonight ingwe.

Hopefully the link works OK. I note he's credited with 378 confirmed kills, most with a Ross no less. wink

I would suggest he must have figured out how to reassemble the bolt correctly so as not to lose his dentures over the deal?

Other writers have put the number as much higher than the one quoted in Wiki, but they weren't all witnessed and as he was First Nations, I suspect didn't always receive equitable treatment in some circles.

Good luck to you in the upcoming season ingwe.

Dwayne

thanks for the canadian history lesson. I never heard of him,

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Just got back from camp where I had pulled the trigger on the 303 for the first time. It's a pleasant handling gun, and I got on target quick at 25 yards. Moving out to 100, the gun still shot well, not minute of inch, but certainly minute of deer. And this with the first load I picked out of thin air.

I enjoyed shooting it and will tinker more to find what she might like.

I shot 200 gr. Speer Grand Slams over 38.5 gr. of IMR 4320, and also a few 215 gr. Woodleighs over 41 gr of H380.

Soon it will be time to whomp something with fur!

Thanks to all for your input. I enjoyed reading the stories behind the caliber, of which I doubt I would have found on my own. Good group of guys, you 303 shooters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by medicman
I looked all over for a .311 or .312 barrel blank to rechamber a #4mkII to 303 Epps but unless custom reamed they are not manufactured. The .308 is the only real choice now but is not a detriment if handloading. That project was put on hold when I bought a #1 in 303. It is still in the back of my mind though.

Randy

Randy,

Bevan King in Pouce Coupe, BC, makes excellent .311 barrels. I had him rebarrel a Ross M10 for me, and the thing shoots like a match rifle.

Also, his reamer cuts the proper dimension chamber, rather than the oversize ones found in most Lee Enfields. No bulged bases or goofy shoulders. grin

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by medicman
I looked all over for a .311 or .312 barrel blank to rechamber a #4mkII to 303 Epps but unless custom reamed they are not manufactured. The .308 is the only real choice now but is not a detriment if handloading. That project was put on hold when I bought a #1 in 303. It is still in the back of my mind though.

Randy

Randy,

Bevan King in Pouce Coupe, BC, makes excellent .311 barrels. I had him rebarrel a Ross M10 for me, and the thing shoots like a match rifles.

Also his reamer cuts the proper dimension chamber, rather than the oversize ones found in most Lee Enfields. No bulged bases or goofy shoulders. grin

Ted

PM me with an address or telephone # please and thanks. Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's a 303 Brit without bulged bases and goofy shoulders. That's the whole challenge. laugh

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM sent

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A lot of 303 British users would be amazed at the change in their rifle's performance if they took it to a gunsmith for repairs. A cheap fix is setting the barrel back. Doing so will bring the chamber into spec and thereby, reduce the stretch.

Virtually every shooter will watch case life triple and in most instances, accuracy will be better. With the chamber dimensions within spec, the mechanism will propel the bullets into tighter groups.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Steve:

When I was considering a .303 with a .30 barrel, I was calling it the .300-03 wink . I was thinking in terms of an H&R in 30/30 rechambered.

I agree with you on the "setting back" of the barrels as well. My 1895 in .303 has a barrel that looks to be on its last legs, but its a very accurate rifle - probably due to its having a proper chamber.

Hunting is Exciting! Bolt actions are BORING!!!

Don't mix the two!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I call the cartridge a 7.62 British. It's a smart way to re-barrel the action and improves the bullet selection.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have used .311 barrels made by Shilen, Mc Gowan, and Ron Smith. All seem fine. The Shilen was especially accurate.
When I rebarreled my own #4 to a 30 caliber, I went with the 30/40 Krag. Not a lot of difference between the two cartridges.
The 30/40 feeds well from the #4's magazine.
I have also rebarreled a P14 to 30/40.
Load a Lee Enfield too heavily and case head separations will result; regardless of headspace or chamber dimensions. No such concerns with a P14 or a Ruger No.1.
Just like belted cartridges, cartridges which headspace on the rim will always have some head clearance built into the rifle/brass combination. This is necessary since the solid rim isn't readily compressible. As a consequence of this, using the shoulder to eliminate head clearance will improve case life.
My first big game animal (pronghorn antelope)was killed with a 303. So were the next couple of dozen. None of the rifles I have used since that 303 have really killed noticably better. GD

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (AceBall, 35, 6mmbrfan, 16penny, 14 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,966
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.