Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Does any one know if this is legal????Thanks ahead Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Depends on the country. I don't think you can ship one to canada. they are considered terroist equipement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't believe it's legal, and I wouldn't do it no matter who says it is.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The US has restrictions on this so I would investigate. Doug at Cameraland would know the specifics I am sure.

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tony
The US has restrictions on this so I would investigate. Doug at Cameraland would know the specifics I am sure.

Thanks,I will email him.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am affraid Doug does not know. He will not ship outside the US. That is a shame as he has good prices on many scopes and is a good guy to deal with. I bought some binoculars from him, but he will not send a riflescope. His excuse was last time I asked "Cabellas once send something somewhere and got fined, so we won't as we could not afford being fined".
I believe there are restricted high spec military riflescopes and some restricted countries. Why would you not ship European sporting scope back to Europe where it was designed and manufactured? I bought many riflescopes from the US no problems. Some dealers are happy to send it, others as Doug prefer not to.
I would not ship S&B PM2 scopes to Iran though...

Last edited by glogin; 09/19/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It depends on the country and the scope, but to many countries including Australia, there are no restrictions on sporting scopes.

Ignore Swampy on this one - he has no clue on this yet continues to peddle his misinformation.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think the concern is ITAR regulations. (International Trafficing in Arms)Scopes might be subject to this.

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I turned the gentleman down on selling the scope.Why take a chance over a small amount of money.I am very unlucky when taking chances.Huntz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It depends on the Scope type and the country. Night Vision above Gen 1 illegal period .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of rules on this one. Leaving the US (our laws) it can't have any type of ranging (Mil-Dot, ballistic etc.) reticle. Night vision is a no-no and I think lighted reticles are forbiden too but I'm not 100% positive about that. Try to ship one of the above and you may get in some trouble and loss your optic to the US GOV.

Many receiving countries have laws too and it will depend on where you want to ship it. I've shipped scopes to Austria on two occasions without any trouble. The buyer said he would take the loss if there was a problem. Both went without any trouble.

Terry

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I mailed an Ill ret meopta mounted on a sauer 202 to the states several months ago. There was some run around for the paperwork for the rifle but no one in the postal service cared about the scope.

It was interesting to put $3500 insurance on a package though, never done that before.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Lots of rules on this one.

Yeah, ineffective ones!!!! What's the point of restricting the export of an item from the US when there are no such restrictions in the countries that item is legally exported to????

Leaving the US (our laws) it can't have any type of ranging (Mil-Dot, ballistic etc.) reticle.

That's what I've been told by a couple of US retailers......but.....here comes the silly part, I can buy the same scopes, same brands etc, in this country, ranging reticles and all simply by going into a gunshop and parting with the appropriate amount of cash. The reason I choose to buy my optics out of the US is that they're cheaper than in this country.

Some US retailers have their heads around the regulations and the restricted items, the others just seem to put it into the 'too hard' basket.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Many years ago, I had an individual send me an item that I already owned. I had to pay a hellacious import fee that was 1/4 the cost of the item.
Country was Germany.

Last edited by Dotman; 09/30/11.

The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I try to buy scope base from here in Japan, to send to my father in the US from Midway, which is of course is in the US. I could post the emails, but they needed passport copies for me and my father. Needless to say, I gave up on buying a present for my father.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JasonF
Ignore Swampy on this one - he has no clue on this yet continues to peddle his misinformation.

That your signature line, or just a comment?

If it's not your sig. line, can I borrow it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
Lots of rules on this one. Leaving the US (our laws) it can't have any type of ranging (Mil-Dot, ballistic etc.) reticle. Night vision is a no-no and I think lighted reticles are forbiden too but I'm not 100% positive about that. Try to ship one of the above and you may get in some trouble and loss your optic to the US GOV.

Many receiving countries have laws too and it will depend on where you want to ship it. I've shipped scopes to Austria on two occasions without any trouble. The buyer said he would take the loss if there was a problem. Both went without any trouble.

Terry

I've purchased lots of scopes with various reticles from the USA and there has never been a problem.

I've never had a package inspected by US or Australian customs either, despite the Customs declaration/dispatch note stating there is a scope inside.

Seriously,every savvy Aussie hunter buys thier scopes from the USA.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

Just a comment. If you like it feel free to use it, but don't bother to attribute it to me. I don't come here to pick fights generally, but have crossed swords with Swampy on export controls previously and he is just plain wrong.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are no problems with bringing optics and stocks into Australia. It is entirely legal, and customs are really helpful if you give them a ring, and they have a really good information page on their website. Everybody who shoots premium glass is bringing it in from OS. The problems are with the exporting nation, and i find it very difficult to work out what entirely is legit from the US, and there are several different regulatory hurdles you have to leap. It is much more difficult than dealing with Australian customs. My guess is that some of the stuff i have bought could have been interpreted as restricted for export, but the reality is folks in the US have more important things to do than stop and search packages to Australia. A rifle scope exported to Australia is much less likely to be used on a terrorist's weapon against an american than the same scope sold inside the US, and i am sure authorities prioritise their efforts accordingly. I have never had a problem. I have received ranging reticle scopes, scope mounts, bedding equipment, stocks and even a Limbsaver and never had a problem. There are guys who are clearly then reselling gear in Australia for a profit. In fact, i am aware on many items if you buy retail in the US you are actually buying below the prices Australian retailers are paying. We really should be putting the heat on many distributors, who are just price gouging.

I love it when the Fed does a little quantitative easing - the whole of the US is on sale!

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

It's illegal and so is most of the other shipping advise these trolls give out. They don't have a clue. Do whatever you wish but be prepared to tell the arresting officers that the guys on the 24 Hour Campfire said it was ok.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 1,744 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,514
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.