-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The time will come when it'll be a felony to survive a bear attack.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
The time will come when it'll be a felony to survive a bear attack.

Yeah.

Either that (surviving the bear), or gooberment's 'attack!' wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I hope they fine this guy to the max.

Dunno what they could do to him that is worse than what he is likely going through already. A heavy burden so early in life.

He is resposible of course, but given that they were already worried about grizzlies being in the area I'd really have to see he bear as he saw it to judge.

Birdwatcher

"I hope they fine this guy to the max"

Its the beaurocratic way!

F**k the taxpayers / citizens of this formerly great land of the free and brave,

and to hell with 'protect and serve,'

or more similarly to the values doctors espouse ...... of "cause no harm" to their patients (not unlike "citizens", nor slaves, nor peons, nor indentured servants, and certainly NOT "subjects") that gooberment is supposed to SERVE! even cheerfully and COMPETENTLY!

Those qualities used to help define 'professionalism'

(even sometimes mixed with patriotism).

"Its the beaurocratic way!

F**k the taxpayers / citizens of this formerly great land of the free and brave,

and to hell with 'protect and serve,'

or more similarly to the values doctors espouse ...... of "cause no harm" to their patients (not unlike "citizens", nor slaves, nor peons, nor indentured servants, and certainly NOT "subjects") that gooberment is supposed to SERVE! even cheerfully and COMPETENTLY!

Those qualities used to help define 'professionalism'

(even sometimes mixed with patriotism)."

What a FINE, and well written POST, Se�or !

please,....keep it up,...

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 09/19/11.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted By: SU35
Quote:
after 20-year-old Ty Bell wounded what he thought was a black bear

Why??

Don't let him off the hook just because his friend dies. Make an example out of him so the next guy doesn't die because of careless hunting.

The woods are full of stupid people that do stupid things like this. I could go into stories...like these recent two from a friend from here that I don't think will mind if I post them.

"I called to the bull and he stopped and turned around but was 125 yds. He stared into the meadow for a minute and then left.

I glassed the meadow and there were two hunters out there trying to blow a bugle! Right in the open; retards!"

"one of the guys in camp was hunting in his spot- 2 1/2 miles in when a bear came charging down the hill towards him. He knocked and arrow and got ready but it stopped just before it got to him and laid down. He crept over there and it was dead! Had an arrow hole in it. He took some photos and whistled to see if the hunter would show up. Finally, he did. Bragged about all kinds of stuff and how he had elk hunters all over the area. He said he had never killed a bear before though. it was a 100# sow. He said he had a tag but not with him. Anyway, to make a long story short, they took off with the bear and DW came back to camp that night and told the story. I told him that bear season had CLOSED the day before! I was pissed that they shot this little sow anyway!"

And this is just two of many more idiot hunting stories that have taken place this month.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Su, if you come and spend some time up in the id/mt/ Canada border you will see that not all grizzly look like the pictures. Many lack the hump and coats are dark if it lacked a serious butt face it would only leave the claws. I have nothing against the bears other than there are an aweful lot of them in a small area, and I see many more bears getting killed in the future....although most will not be reported, just walled away from. The good news is there is money left in the kitty from Jeremy hills donation pot for killing one just a few miles away, I see some help going to this guy. I think the price has been paid.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The license dealers used to give out ID cards when purchasing bear tags but thats no guarantee. One should check for cubs too:

[Linked Image]

Even ole blackie can be pretty mean if wounded especially the big old boars. Pard wounded this one in the back country about 10yrs ago and the rodeo was not fun. We were lucky:

[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Su, if you come and spend some time up in the id/mt/ Canada border you will see that not all grizzly look like the pictures. Many lack the hump and coats are dark if it lacked a serious butt face it would only leave the claws.

He estimated the bear's age at 6 to 8, based on its weight of 400 pounds.

"That's a good-sized grizzly bear," he said.

I'll bet this bear looked like a classic grizzly. My guess is the hunter saw hair and gut shot it.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/index.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spoke to another friend who is 20 miles south of the incedent and he had a griz in his yard. It seems the late/poor berry crop has the griz down where they should not be.....in peoples yards.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Su, I have seen plenty of bears and feel I am as good as most at id. I also know that the bears in the corner do not get big, humpy and sometimes run quite dark. I was not there, and agree that shooting a bear should be a positive deal, but sometimes it falls apart. As far as I am concerned, everything north of priest has a population that could easily support a hunt and that may train the bears to avoid humans.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
@ High Country, who's your friend? I'm just south of there myself off of Conn-Mule Road. Was out hunting elk with archery tackle the day it happened. There have been a lot more bear sightings this year than recent. A friend of mine had a grizzly under his tree stand for 2+ hours trying to figure out how to get him down.

@ everyone: anyone else take issue with most of the articles describing the grizzly population up here as "declining"? 40 bears? i bet it's 100 or more.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35
after 20-year-old Ty Bell wounded what he thought was a black bear

It was a mistake on his part , but his friend is dead , that is enough to last the rest of his life. Why should the state profit from this? A fine would be total Bullchit

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
if his mistake was drinking while driving and he crashed and killed his buddy, what then? free pass?

there are differences, but it was an illeagle act on his part (knowingly or not) that created the chain of events leading to the death of his freind.

i am not suggesting manslaughter charges or anything of the sort, just the game violation for shooting the griz.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It was a mistake on his part , but his friend is dead , that is enough to last the rest of his life. Why should the state profit from this? A fine would be total Bullchit

Fine him the max and let the whole country know about it.
Bet that would cure "mistakes".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Some very experienced ethical guys have mistaken a griz for a black bear. I think I read that it happened to Keith Atcheson. I have done buisness with him and always found him to be honest.

It can happen.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

It may cure some of the "mistakes" but it won't cure any of the mistakes (honest ones) because that is exactly what they are - mistakes. Do you think he knew he was shooting at a griz?

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toad
if his mistake was drinking while driving and he crashed and killed his buddy, what then? free pass?

there are differences, but it was an illeagle act on his part (knowingly or not) that created the chain of events leading to the death of his freind.

i am not suggesting manslaughter charges or anything of the sort, just the game violation for shooting the griz.

Big difference between a drunk driver killing someone and someone shooting the wrong bear that are basely the same size and color of each others in that part of the country. This could happen to anyone who has limited experience hunting bear

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You fine the guy the max and locals will go out and dump every bear around just to save the headaches in the future.....no bears, no problems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although I spent a fair amount of time in the high country of the Kaniksu and ran into bear almost every day, I've been in the Yaak area only once. My experience with grizzlies is mostly in other areas.

I've spent many a day stalking and photographing grizzlies, getting so close to 'em as a rule that friends watching from a comforting distance were awfully antsy about my safety. (Didn't own a telephoto lens and couldn't afford one!)

I wasn't always the only one out there. The griz in the Toklat country, for example, varied so much in color and markings that we easily kept track of (and discussed) 'em separately. We had no trouble telling whether we were watching "Susie" or "Roger," for example.

It was also noticeable that any one certain bear � in the same way as a moose or a bighorn � looked a lot darker in the brush than he did in the open, and darker against a light background than against a dark background.

Animals in the bush don't always look just like those in the drawings and paintings.

So even if I were obsessed with the urge to judge others, I simply can not sit here in my recliner or fancy office chair and evaluate the situation and the behavior of those hunters so far away, especially not on the basis of a very sketchy and probably inaccurate news report.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Even though I know there are some humans not worth a pinch of snot, it is still a sad state of affairs when we place an animals life above a humans! I'm all for saving rare game animals but if it came to me or them, "them" is gone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fine the guy, and where does the money go? The fines should be for those who purposely shoot animals and feel no remorse...or continue to do so.

I wouldn't be surprised if this kid never hunts again. Isn't that what should be happening to a poacher?

In areas where they have antler restrictions, do they "fine to the max" for shooting a smaller buck? I know that they have fines, but "to the max?" I don't think so (but I could be wrong...don't hunt in a place like this).

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,737
Posts18,514,428
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.