Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
i have been looking to get a four wheeler and i have never had one before i like the look of the polaris sportsman and the price is not to bad ether i love the boxs that come with it any way can any one tell me the pros and cons of the 500 or 550 if you have one thank you so much guys

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an old 500 Sportsman that has served me very well over the years,hopefully next week it will be packing out it's 4th or 5th moose!One thing I would check if you are hunting wilderness areas,the 550 does NOT have a pull start.My 500 does and it has saved me a really long walk a couple of times(cracked battery!).I would check and see if the new 500 still has the pull start,jumper cables can be hard to find way back in the bush! Cheers,Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it might be worth knowing whether the EFI machine will even run with a weak/dead battery, manual starter notwithstanding.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just went through the same process and bought the 500. I could not justify the amount of money that the dealer wanted for the 550 over the 500 and there was a considerable price jump to the 550. The EFI and EBS would be nice to have, but not at over $1K.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I think it might be worth knowing whether the EFI machine will even run with a weak/dead battery, manual starter notwithstanding.

The carb units won't run with a dead battery either.

I know because I have one. Unhook the battery while it's running and it will die like you shut it off.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But that's akin to turning the key switch off. Even a dead battery completes the circuit somehow on most machines. I know the Suz, Honda, and Yamahas can run with a dead battery, at least in the carbed versions. And Honda provides recoil starters as accessories on their new EFI machines, so I suspect they have a system that doesn't need a lot of juice to run. Polaris is well behind the eight ball on their ATVs if even a carbed engine can't run with a dead battery. But I suspect they can.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/20/11.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My Suzuki King Quad did NOT want to run at all with a low battery. I could get it started with the pull rope, but it would die if you hit the throttle on a low battery. I have heard the same about some of the other EFI machines.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

The carb units won't run with a dead battery either.

I know because I have one. Unhook the battery while it's running and it will die like you shut it off.

I know the Polaris Magnum can run with a dead battery. I have had to do it on the one I had and my FIL's on several occasions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I specifically asked about recoil start when we were buying the Grizz we got recently. Dealer said it could be had on the 450 (carbed) but was not available for the 550 (EFI). He said the Yam EFI did not work well with a low/dead battery.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Were you looking at the 450 EPS by chance? That is what I'm interested in.

The 550 Griz is bigger physcially than I want.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well I had a stone dead battery and perhaps it was so bad that it could not complete the circuit. I know we needed to hook a booster pack to the battery to make it run and if we pulled the booster pack off the engine died. I put a new battery in it and it was all better.

But I do not take comfort in the idea that it wont run with a dead or "bad" battery.

I know I have started the engine before when the battery was too weak to turn the starter, started with recoil and did just fine. But with a completely shot, junk battery, no good.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought the 550 a few weeks ago. I'll pay for the EFI. Watched too many units run poorly or not at all at high altitude. With EFI, no problem.

I did not go with the electric steering, IMHO not needed on the 550, it steers very easily without.

I also like the redesign on the 550, with the rear mounted clutches and Active Descent System.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go EFI all the way. Cold starting a carb unit sucks and they don't perform as well at elevation either. We have EFI units and love them. My daughter had a car unit and it sucked in comparison.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Were you looking at the 450 EPS by chance? That is what I'm interested in.

The 550 Griz is bigger physcially than I want.

We got the 450 EPS. At first I didn't know if it really did anything as it just feels 'normal' when you drive it on ordinary terrain. But the more I've run it on tundra and rocks, the less I realize the effort. (See pic in the belted drive ATV thread.) EPS is kind of like the difference in the old Honda tree-wheelers, between the smaller ones with only rubber for their suspension system and the bigger ones with shocks and springs. If you ride on shoulder pounding, wrist-twisting trails and terrain, it's definitely worth considering. If you're young enough that you don't care now, you'll be thankful later in life when those joints aren't stiff with arthritis.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would go with the 550 much nicer machine. I just bought a new Can Am Outlander 500 Vtwin and love it very fast, almost to fast. Also have a 2004 Artic Cat 400 manual shift, going to use it for East Ky hunting, very rough terain, and use the new Can Am Outlander for Colorado hunting.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a 2000 carbed model in Remington Special Edition Sportsman 500. Great bike for me. It pulls, pushes and hauls it all -- moose, deer, firewood, snow plough, trailers. etc. Mine is before the HO engine version, and it still has plenty of power. Has cost me nothing to maintain other than a battery every 3 or 4 years because of all the winch use and 35 below starts. Loving it!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, arky65, afisher, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.