Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by misplacedinnebraska
I'm not in love with the caliber. Reading the ballistics, its awesome, but impractical.

It is practical for long range shooting, when weighing in at 15lbs...For carrying around, and for sheep hunting? Get a regular gun with an elevation turret.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
a common theme in your posts has to do with increased noise caused by the use of a brake. This is absolutely untrue. Noise does not increase when using a brake. Directionality of the noise changes, but not the actual volume. A good brake, i.e. the Vais brake, will be imperceptibly louder to the shooter. In fact it takes sophisticated equipment to measure the actual difference from the shooter's perspective. However, to those at other angles to the muzzle may/will perceive a much greater muzzle blast & noise. No doubt this perception adds to the myth's plausibility, but myth it remains. Brakes do not amplify the sound from a rifle, or to use Boxer's jargon, they do not "add noise."

FINALLY!! Someone posted my same thoughts on muzzle brakes. I've never understood how some holes in the last 1 1/2" of a barrel that divert SOME of the combustion gasses would make a louder report than when ALL of the gasses leave the muzzle of an un-braked barrel. The more powder you burn, the louder the report, with or without a muzzle brake!

Anyway, back to misplacedinnebraska's original question on taming his hard kicking .300 RUM.

First is the weight of the rifle, stock design, and stock fit. Obviously, a heavier rifle will absorb more of the recoil energy than a lighter rifle, but the extra weight is harder to carry around the hills all day. If the stock is too short or has too much drop at the comb, it will increase the amount of recoil transfered to the shooter's cheekbone. The same is true with too much drop at the heel.

Next is recoil pads. Their purpose is to absorb or delay the recoil being transferred to the shooter's shoulder. I have Limbsaver pads on my three magnum rifles, I have Pachmayr and Kick-eez pads on several of my other rifles and shotguns. They all work, but I guess I like the Limbsaver pads best.

Next is in-stock recoil reducers, both mercury and mechanical. They add weight to the gun and they are advertized to absorb or delay some of the recoil that is transferred to the shooter. I have reducers in my Skeet and Trap shotguns, an 870 field shotgun, and in two of my magnum rifles. Some are mercury, some are mechanical, they all help reduce felt recoil, but I can't say which is better.

And finally there are muzzle brakes. Depending on the design, they DO decrease felt recoil. I have KDF muzzle brakes on my two potentially hardest kicking rifles, a .375 RUM and a .300 Weatherby, and I had my Skeet and Trap shotguns muzzle ported.

When I used to compete in Trap and/or Skeet I was shooting up to 10,000 12 ga shotshells per year. I no longer compete, but I still shoot about 5,000 shotshells per year. I also have two Super Blackhawk .44 Mag and two 1911 .45 acp pistols and I regularly shoot them. I am no stranger to recoil. The first time I shot my .375 RUM, I quit after only 8 shots. The recoil was just too brutal.

I rebuilt the .375 RUM with a heavier, longer stock that fits me, installed an in-stock recoil reducer, and had the KDF muzzle brake installed. Since then, I've shot several hundred rounds through it, I've taken it to Africa twice, and on the last trip, I shot three animals with it from prone positions, without any ill effects of recoil.

I've always wanted a .300 Weatherby, and several years ago I finally bought one. I did everything to it that I had done to the .375 RUM, and it is now my favorite rifle. I've only shot 4 animals with it, but two of them were from prone positions, and again, recoil was no problem.

Several weeks ago, I had my .300 Weatherby, 7 mm Rem mag, and .257 Ackley at the range chronographing different loads. I alternated 3 shot strings with each rifle, and shot six 3 shot strings through the .300 Wby. Of course, the .300 Wby was the loudest, but it had less felt recoil than the 7 mm and only slightly more felt recoil that the .257 AI.

I ALWAYS carry AND USE foam earplugs with me when I'm hunting, and I always use ear plugs or muffs anytime I'm outside at the range.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by buffybr
a common theme in your posts has to do with increased noise caused by the use of a brake. This is absolutely untrue. Noise does not increase when using a brake.

Shoot a gun with earplugs, then take them out and shoot it. Is it louder? The gun isn't actually louder, but your ears sure seem to think otherwise. You guys are grasping at straws. It is a known fact that shooting a gun with a brake sucks. Permanent hearing loss is certainly a risk if you don't have protection. Some hunting situations aren't practical for using plugs etc either.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
well i have read every post on this thread , some state fact and some state opinion. A quality muzzle brake does decrease FELT recoil. If i take the brakes off my edge or rum I have a really hard time spotting my impacts. With the brakes on it is not a problem. Since this is the long range hunting forum I will assume we are talking about a long range hunting rifle. I guess my long range hunting experience may be different than some others here. I have never not had the time to put in hearing protection , not once , if I didn't have time to do so I wouldn't be taking that shot , its not 3 gun for me , foam earplugs take 60 seconds to put in and don't weigh much. Another thing that has always puzzled me is that so many are worried about the noise of a brake and yet while hunting they will shoot a 7mm without hearing protection? Brake that thing! You will be amazed at the difference. I dont like the Vais and anyone who is trying to sell you a quiet brake is full of [bleep]. I have had great success with defensive edge brakes, no porting on the bottom to kick up dust.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BCJR,

I am not yet a long range big game hunter. I have taken varmints out past 500 yards. For some here that is a chip shot. You mentioned hearing protection. I don't understand why everyone doesn't use the modern electronic ear muff or some sort of "Walker" hearing protection. Not only do they block loud noises, they enhance hearing like binoculars for the eyes.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not directed at anyone in particular.

Take out your ear plugs. Then shoot a big game rifle without a screw on muzzle break then shoot it with it on.

When you get your ears to stop ringing/bleeding we can discuss how it's actually not louder, it's just diverted.

Last edited by Rogue; 09/13/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rogue,

You sound like a democrate. Why don't we take off our prescription glasses so we can see like some poor savage who new heard of hearing protection or glasses?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Rogue,

You sound like a democrate. Why don't we take off our prescription glasses so we can see like some poor savage who new heard of hearing protection or glasses?

A "D" would tell me that I have to wear hearing and eye pro while requiring me to hunt with a recoil reducing sound amplifier.... You know to save the kids and all.whistle

By the way there ain't nothing "D" about me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a .300 RUM in a M700 SPS Stainless. It is a fairly lightweight rifle. It has a limbsaver pad on it, and I had a Harrell muzzle brake put on it too. The muzzle brake was the BEST $145 I've ever spent. With that brake and the limbsaver pad, it kicks like a .243. Fantastic. I could shoot is ALL day with No problems at all. It is LOUD, but all guns go BANG and are loud. That's why they make muffs that you should be wearing all the time anyway. Get a brake, they work!!!

Last edited by hunter01; 09/15/11.
K
K
Anyone have any experience here. I find some convoluted reviews on the web. Mostly from people not shooting a Vais Muzzle brake. I once had a M70 in .270 with a boss barrel and the muzzle blast was unbearable and noise unreal. I've heard these are different in the perceived db's to the shooter. How do they do to lessen felt recoil on the big magnums? Feed back much appreciated guys.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Boxer
As an addendum,I've never heard weight increase noise,though I'm happy to entertain all fallacies that'd curtail that constant.

More weight for some hunters will increase their whining so in that respect weight adds noise.

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (1lesfox, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 21, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,112
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.