Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
MIVHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I also priced the EFI, which is the 550 XP. BIG price jump over the 500 HO carb model. I agree with you on the EFI, but ouch on the price.

2011 500 HO $5250 plus tax. 6% in MI.
2011 550 XP $7247 plus tax. Adds bigger tires, EFI and EBS/ADC.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a 2000 Sportsman 500 with the EBS, and I wouldn't be without it. Rarely use the brakes unless I am going pretty fast, and on the narrow bush trails around here, 20 mph is fast.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wow that is a big price jump lol!

Nuthing wrong with the HO (carb) it just puzzles me that they offer it without EBS. When I worked there I guess I sort of felt like EBS was becoming standard on heavier utility machines like the sportsman line.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't understand why any manufacturer WOULDN'T put it on a machine?

Polaris doen't have the best braking system to begin with, but that aside, I would defenitaly want it on any auto machine I have.

Are other ATV manufactures going this route?

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 2012 Sportsman 550xp. It is a nice machine. The ebs is very noticeable when pulling my brush mower behind it. the ride has been excellent, over all been very durable. I have about 360 miles on this unit now, never had an issue. very fast too! i would consider buying one of these.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hope you would consider buying one, you have one. laugh

Buschy, since you build these things maybe you can answer. Why do they make one without EBS?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
As far as Polaris go, a friend on a ranch here says they don't last with the rough way they use them. However, I would bet that the ATV's that ride the tundra in Alaska get more abuse per season than the vast majority of ATVs in the 48. The Polaris' that I had used and friends who talk about theirs keep on going.

the atv is not getting any more abuse in alaska then they do in va. riding in rocks all day.wv has some of worst trails for atv's . coal dust eats them up fast.

Don't be sure. Many parts of rural Alaska offer the lumps and mire of tundra, the rocks of the trail-less hills, and the salt of coastal beaches. Ours sure don't know anything different. Add to that the miles and hours the machines get here in many places, and Alaska is a formidable ATV test ground. We got a new ATV on the 3rd of this month. Presently it has 390 miles and nearly 30 hours on it's clock. Polaris ATVs do not have a good track record in these conditions. The best place to see them other than at the dealer, is to look for a broken down wreck behind someone's house. Typically a running Honda, or one of the other brands, will be in the driveway.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just to keep the cost down. right now the sporstman 500 is one of the biggest sellers out there because of the price point on these machines. its been around for years and is a very well built machine. we'll get you switched yet Tzone!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BuschPilot
Just to keep the cost down. right now the sporstman 500 is one of the biggest sellers out there because of the price point on these machines. its been around for years and is a very well built machine. we'll get you switched yet Tzone!

I already 'switched', you had me twice already.

M
MIVHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Bought the 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Will pick up tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone for their input. It is appreciated.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Congrats!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool. Pics soon?

M
MIVHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I snapped a couple of pics of the Polaris after I got it home. It was a cool 26 here this AM.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FJB Let's Go Brandon
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's a good looking rig.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
fine looking rig!

Something clever here.

M
MIVHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks. I rode it a bit this weekend at camp and put about 10 miles on the atv. So far, I'm pleased with it.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If you're looking for accories to put on it, I will suggest the steel bar that goes on the rear rack like the old style. It gives you a little more storage and something more to tie down onto.

Look on the back of my bike to see what I'm talking about because I didn't explain it very well.

[Linked Image]

I think on the Polaris, they wrap around the sides a little, where mine just stops at the back.

Last edited by tzone; 09/20/11.

M
MIVHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
You are right, the raised bar on the rear rack is a good idea. I really liked it on my old '87 Foreman. The Polaris racks do take a bit of getting used to after having metal racks.
I'm debating getting a winch first and then adding the racks later on.

BTW, nice Foreman. They're great atv's.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I didn't like the plastic racks on the Polaris' at first, but I don't know anyone thats had an issue with them really. My FIL added a tall bar on the back and a shorter one on the front. The plastic racks have spots to tie to, but it was a pain in the ass to get a rubber strap in there and off again.

I'd get the winch first FWIW.

Thanks, on the comment about the Foreman. It was one of those deals that doesn't happen to me very often. It is older but had less than 300mi on it when I bought it last spring(still does).

I bought it from the landowner where I turkey hunt, he has a bad foot and couldn't shift it anymore so he bought an auto. I got it for $2200. Ma wasn't impressed when I told her I bought it. When I brought it home, she didn't mind because it was nice. It's paid for so I like that part. I want to add another to the stable so we can all ride, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the price tag...as you saw.

Last edited by tzone; 09/20/11.

M
MIVHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
You got a very good deal on your Foreman. You'd never touch it around here for that kind of money.

I've been looking for a 400-500cc 4x4 atv for over a year. Many of them were beat up and the rest were "blue book retail priced" and above. Also, I got awful tired of driving to see a "lightly used" atv that required major repairs.
Rather than pay $4000+ for a used 2006-2008 atv, we decided to just get a new one and be done with it.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.