-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At 37.4 feet, it would of left an exit whole one could pull a hamster thru and the bruin would of gone 3' straight down. Instead of 12' and then 3' straight down.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
At 37.4 feet, it would of left an exit whole one could pull a hamster thru and the bruin would of gone 3' straight down. Instead of 12' and then 3' straight down.. wink

Dober

There is something to be said for heavy bullets...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
a 300 gr. bullet not making it through a 300 pounder from a broadside shot doesn't set the bar very high.

YMMV

and yes, i've kilt bigger bears with less, but not when i've had a choice.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You killed the animal. I am really glad you did. That is great.
What I fail to understand is why use them if their makers say not to?
Moreover with the phenomenal hunting bullets we have why choose these? Because of the high BC in case one gets a 1K yard shot?
I am sure if it is accuracy related, there are others hunting bullets out there that shoot accurately enough for hunting.

I just do not get it...... I guess I never will.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The worlds flat and Columbus kind of comes to mind here.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

How can the bullet fail if:

A) dead critter

B) it's not being used for its intended purpose

Do you expect a target bullet to mushroom perfectly,retain 99% weight, balance your checkbook, and satisfy your wife?

I don't understand.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
amazing 'discovery' here whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
The worlds flat and Columbus kind of comes to mind here.. wink

Dober

So Sierra is "The worlds flat"
and you guys are "the Columbus'"??????????

Hilarious... laugh

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty dang sure that Sierra will never say publicly exactly how the SMK will and would perform on game. They've got too good a thing going with the Govt. So...from where I sit I don't put a ton load of confidence in what they say about the SMK. They have other agenda's.

As far as Columbus my point is...that some just can't try a new thing. If'n it differs from how they're used to doing things well then it just can't be right.

Dober

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Fotis
You killed the animal. I am really glad you did. That is great.
What I fail to understand is why use them if their makers say not to?
Moreover with the phenomenal hunting bullets we have why choose these? Because of the high BC in case one gets a 1K yard shot?
I am sure if it is accuracy related, there are others hunting bullets out there that shoot accurately enough for hunting.

I just do not get it...... I guess I never will.

I'm suprised at any adult that blindly follows what is written on the side of box, in a store. If you have not tried them for yourself, then what are you basing your comments on?
I do not know of a 300 grain "hunting" bullet, availible in .338.
I do not know of a 105 or higher grain "hunting" bullet, availible in 6mm. (And if you say Berger, I'll laugh).
It is accuracy related, and no, there are not any "hunting" bullets out there that are of an aceptable accuracy for me to use, because they simply aren't heavy enough.
If I have to explain it any further than that, then you really won't get it, and never will, mostly because you have never done it.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not blindly follow what is on a box R. I have seen failures (or shall we call it substandard performance) of all type of bullets.
Problem is I have seen way more percentage of failures (by far) with the MK's than with standard hunting bullets.
That is what makes me shy away from them.
Free country of course use what you like but in my mind there are others which are heads and shoulders above in bullet performance.

Anyway just killing time discussing this, got nothing better to do as is the case with most of us here.

μολὼν λαβέ

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Fotis
Anyway just killing time discussing this, got nothing better to do as is the case with most of us here.

Myself included! I will add that they are not my first choice for close up type work, or even average distances. I think this is where most run into problems. I do find that these types of bullets perform best when they have slowed down a bit. wink

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

TSX, failure or no?

Dober

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
we can apply the same logic many here are using and say if it came from a dead animal, it was a sucess...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Course at times I think how the animal became dead or how long it took comes into play as well...I think doesn't it?

Dober

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
do you suggest a 53 gr. .224 SMK would have fared better?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From my experiences with it, I'd say yes. I only put up the bullet cause some feel that a bullet like the TSX/TTSX is a never fail kind of deal. And while I've done some very good work with the brand I've also seen it do some incredibly poor work.

My biggest point is that, if people use bullets long enough sooner or later it'll make one go hmm...some worship on the altars of certain bullets and refuse to acknowledge that weird things can and do happen out there and it can happen to all brands.

The fall this one happened and the ensuing rodeo I know of two other TSX/TTSX that didn't open. Now everyone has to dance the way they want but I'd prefer to use a bullet that may open up a bit easy if not too easy at times than a bullet that doesn't open easily if at all at times.

Put it this way, if I had the choice of being taken out with a bullet that was gonna open fast, or a slow opening one I'll take the fast one thank you.

People see that a bullet doesn't retain weight and stays in a bruin at decent range jump all over what a crappy bullet it is. Yet, it could well be that the next 99 bruins the bullet will punch thru and keep on going.

No real wrong ways here, just differing ways is all.

Dober

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know from experience that the 300 SMK make a real mess of the internal organs and exit or not on Elk, Deer or Black Bear. I know a couple of guys that took Buffalo with the 300 SMK. No problem

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course and I'm ducking for cover on this one but I know of a couple buffalo's (bison) taken with Swifts (as in 220) with no problemo..grin

Sorry just had to add that in.

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toad a quick side question, would you put a M1 on a 1-5 again?

Thx
Dober

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 163bc, 46 invisible), 2,822 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.