-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
After six years of trying, I finally drew another non-resident bull elk tag for NM. Drew for the 5A area south of Chama. Anyone have intel on that area?

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the evil people in it but because of those who won't do anything about them.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Its almost entirely private land. I hunted 5B last year. Good area, but i couldnt capitalize. You plan to camp or stay at a hotel?

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My wife and I hunted 5A in 2009 on a guided hunt. Saw elk every day and each got one, but they were quite spread out. We mainly concentrated on the northern and western areas of the unit, and did hunt close to private land. It took all five days of hard hunting. I think there are some decent bulls down there but we only saw one that would have scored a little over 300 maybe.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
R
OP Offline
R
Planning on camping

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the evil people in it but because of those who won't do anything about them.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey Rowdy....did you find a guide or you gonna go at it alone??

IC B2

R
OP Offline
R
Haven't settled on a guide yet. Would rather do that than go on our own. I am non-resident and the tags are just too hard to draw plus we never know which area we will get when we do draw.

R
OP Offline
R
Well, now I really am looking forward to the NM hunt after getting skunked in Colorado last week. Elk were still way back up in the mountains and you just can't get to them without taking horses or hiring an outfitter. Surely CDOW understands weather patterns. The second week in Sep is just too warm for a decent hunt. They might as well have sold me a tag for a park in downtown Denver. Plus, they keep closing more roads to ATVs every year. (I understand and appreciate the issue with unchecked ATV traffic but they could at least open them up to hunters.) CDOW keeps complaining every year about the dropping numbers of hunters. Well, look at the average age. Think they are going to hike 15 miles back into the mountains and haul out an elk on foot?

Looks like we are going to go back to hunting the rifle seasons. That, or hire an outfitter the next time we want to hunt with muzzle loaders.

I'm expecting better luck in a couple of weeks when I head back out to NM.

Hope you are filling your tags.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck Rowdy. I have an anterless tag for the third season of unit 9. I hope its not too dry. Do you know if its rained lately up there?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (160user, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,304
Posts18,526,043
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.