Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by GregW
I'd say do it...

I've got 2 of them, one bolt and one AR.

Your wants mirrored mine and I decided on the 6x45.

A .25-204 or a 6mm-204 would get you even more...

I remain curious:

What bullets are you gunning in .243" AR mag constraints?

I'd be in 243WIN AR-10 Mode with 105's,if forced to slum a 6mm Black Gun itch.................

Hey Stick...

I'm running 75 grain Sierra HP's and Vmax's...

TAC and 2015...

Eeking out performance and/or loss of same in the Ar-15 platform and the COAL limitations vs. an AR-10 platform was not and is not a consideration.

It's nothing but a fur stacking killing gun. No more no less. And it does this very well.

I know the .257" 75V-Max exceedingly well,as well as the Barnes 75 XFB...with over 30 boxes of both on my shelf. Point being...the SAAMI derived 223 .224" 75BTHP trumps both in BC and launch speed.

Paying more,for less...just might be your Sales Pitch?!!?...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I make no argument as I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here and never proclaimed such...

Losing a little range with the 75 6mm vs. the 75 .224 is okay for the purposes of this rig.

A 75 grain 6mm Vmax for this rig is a better mousetrap for my intentions, which is not clanging steel at 600 yards. It's for killing.

Besides, there's only so many things one can do to a .223 case and before it's over I may try them all...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, some die of thirst.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If that was directed at me my friend, I'm plenty full of water and so is my horse.

B/C I have to justify a damn thing, let alone because it's not the highest BC/MV bullet option available for said platform, it simply silly.

I'm not banging steel at extended distances my friend. I'm killing. A 75 VM at 3K does this very well for my purposes.

Ignorance is one thing, options is another.

- Greg

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
17 Remington
1-10 pac-nor
25gr Bergers @ 3900
no mag length restrictions
no extra brass prep
built by WOA

That is the route I went.

If I was going 6mm and didn't mind the extra brass prep I'd look at this, or something similar
http://www.6mmar.com/6mm_AR_Loading_Info.html

At least that would give me the option of shooting higher bc bullets.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I also have a WOA build rifle too...

It's a 1:7" .223. Which is another reason why the discussion above regarding 6mm 75's and .224" 75's is really silly...

I've already got the mousetrap I'm being criticized for...grin...

- Greg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Noone with a .224" AR COAL constrained magbox...would go .257" with same,to make it "'better",at the expense of adding cost,reducing effectiveness and being stupid.

Noone.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rusky
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, some die of thirst.

Also consider this. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, some die of thirst.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love it when these "Brainiacs" start thinking aloud...then feel compelled to justify same........................

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Noone with a .224" AR COAL constrained magbox...would go .257" with same,to make it "'better",at the expense of adding cost,reducing effectiveness and being stupid.

Noone.................

If you think I am running or advocate a .257" with AR constraints you are wrong. Read back a little.

- Greg

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have to read your cluelessness,as I shoot all things .257" more than you could begin to fathom.

Set down,take a deep breath and try again...but perhaps consider sending your reply to others via PM,before you stick yet another foot in your mouth and hit "send".............

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll take a chance with this response as I won't PM it to my compadres on this board for them to QAQC first. I'll take the risk of sticking my foot in my mouth and will expect nothing but a witty, short response filled with insults for absolutely no reason.

Happy Thanksgiving Stick and hope all is well with your family, seriously. Hope ya'll punch a bruiser buck.

You really don't have to play tough guy for folks to see you have BTDT many times over. It is evident without being a tough guy. Of course if you enjoy it solely for entertainment purposes carry on.

Keep the good pictures coming.

Signed,

The clueless .257" AR-15 guy who was discussing 6mm AR-15 cartridges and would never run a .257" in an AR-15 platform

- Greg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 6mm is better yet,due to their greater length...which'd be one of many points.

Gale outta the SE,we're fixin' to see how far we can boat in it and turn nasty weather into a Dirt Nap for sumptin'.................

B
B
i know i'm reviving an old thread, but curious as to what you went with gregw. if you haven't checked it out yet, the 25dti is pure killing machine...it fits the ar platform, and expands as intended reguardless of what some would have you think.

Last edited by beergoggles; 09/23/11.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (222ND, 2500HD, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,934
Posts18,479,981
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.