Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Elkmen
180's will be fine, hike and hike so more. Hills are mandantory, as one above said stay in the woods. How much actual hunting will you do I think tag and license is $650, might be pretty steep for a few days of hunting. Hike up hill in your spare time.
Yeah, he told me the price for out of state. What can you do. It's only a weekend hunt. Crazy expensive all around, when you add the plane tickets, license, and tag. I'll have to sell a rifle or two. Don't look forward to being groped at the airport, either.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is the factory load I would use.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=820

You will be climbing a fair bit up there. I have a place in the mountains just north of CDA outside of Sandpoint and have seen decent bulls very close to the house. Good luck to you.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tony
This is the factory load I would use.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=820

You will be climbing a fair bit up there. I have a place in the mountains just north of CDA outside of Sandpoint and have seen decent bulls very close to the house. Good luck to you.
Thank you.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No groping at the Spokane airport. Nice little place. Also, if you have time to stay a bit longer there are monster rainbow and lake trout in the big lakes in the area, Lake Pend Oreille and Priest Lake for sure. A half or full day charter is a blast and you will catch fish. My wife with her first lake trout.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
take a day pack with the usual stuff. Any factory .308 load will work fine.

If you don't have a good pair of boots now is the time, wear them on your hikes. I recommend lowa tibets.

Last edited by Tim M; 09/25/11.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tim M
take a day pack with the usual stuff. Any factory .308 load will work fine.

If you don't have a good pair of boots now is the time, wear them on your hikes. I recommend lows tibets.
Yeah, I have a couple of pairs of appropriate boots. I will walk with them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
good binocular, good boots, good binocular, good boots, good bino, good boots- those are the 6 most important things after your survival stuff-

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Royce
good binocular, good boots, good binocular, good boots, good bino, good boots- those are the 6 most important things after your survival stuff-
laugh I'll figure out which of my two pair of hunting boots feels the best. I have a nice Steiner set of binoculars that should work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Coeur d'Alene area isn't particularly high in altitude but the hills are pretty steep. Spend the next couple weeks doing your hiking with a pack full of water jugs. You won't have an altitude sickness problem but you'll be gasping when working hard.
The area is also quite brushy. Shots are likely to be fairly short. Your 308 is excellent for the range.

Get a good topo map of the area and a compass or gps and know how to use them. In that thick timber, you can stand on top of a hill and not be able to see the next hill. If it's cloudy you can get turned around real easy.

A large roll of orange engineers tape can be very handy to find your way back to a kill. Years ago I lost a deer because I couldn't find it. I shot it right at dusk and decided to come back in the morning to pack it out. I didn't have any way to mark my trail and I couldn't find it. I've carried tape ever since and have needed it a few times.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Coeur d'Alene area isn't particularly high in altitude but the hills are pretty steep. Spend the next couple weeks doing your hiking with a pack full of water jugs. You won't have an altitude sickness problem but you'll be gasping when working hard.
The area is also quite brushy. Shots are likely to be fairly short. Your 308 is excellent for the range.

Get a good topo map of the area and a compass or gps and know how to use them. In that thick timber, you can stand on top of a hill and not be able to see the next hill. If it's cloudy you can get turned around real easy.

A large roll of orange engineers tape can be very handy to find your way back to a kill. Years ago I lost a deer because I couldn't find it. I shot it right at dusk and decided to come back in the morning to pack it out. I didn't have any way to mark my trail and I couldn't find it. I've carried tape ever since and have needed it a few times.
I have some of that orange tape left over from my last few hunts, and also have a Garmin GPS, the old style that just lets you establish way points that you can get back to. I'll make sure it still works.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lotta people here have given you some good advice,but you are not listening well. Settle on one rifle ,one scope ,one load, one bino and whatever equipment that needs to go NOW and quit worrying details to death wondering about it.Your worried about success and all you really need to think about is enjoying the experience of the adventure.On a short notice deal like this a guy plucked out of Montana, Wyo, or Colo who hunts elk all the time might pull off an elk kill. You are going with someone who just moved there and don't know squat. It is ok, you gotta start somewhere.You can do alot of learning in a short time, of course you have to pay for it. Concentrate on your health and conditioning ,streamline your baggage to absolutely no non essentials. If the cost of a license seems to high for your chances tell your buddy you just want to go along for the learning experience and help him pack one out if he gets lucky. Prices of nonresident tags are what the market will bear and if you ask anyone who is a resident competing against well healed nonresidents he will tell you they are way to damn cheap.More elk been killed by BA 30-06 and shells on sale at whatevermart than all the agonizing you are doing over minute details. In the real world it's called "not being able to see the forest for one tree". First thing you need to do really is get off the internet and work on your conditioning for the hunt or mount the laptop on the handlebars of your stationary bike to use while you are pedaling. Best of luck. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
You'd think that with almost 40k posts on a hunting website, you'd at least have a clue.

Couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of tag costs...In Idaho, a non-resident deer tag can be used on a wolf or bear whenever both the deer and wolf/bear seasons are open at the same time, which is usually the case.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just ran into a guide and his clients up a canyon I regularly hunt. They were packing up and heading out after hunting for 10 days. I asked about their success and they had not shot anything. He said his clients had done nothing to get into shape for hunting. Nice people but not in shape to hunt the mountains.

They had arrived thinking they had hired a guide and were riding horses and success would be guaranteed.

As stated above. Go and have a good time, Spend as much time as you can between now and leaving to get into shape. don't worry about micro managing the details.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Calvin
You'd think that with almost 40k posts on a hunting website, you'd at least have a clue.
well, puttin the rubber to the road you know

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Elkmen
180's will be fine, hike and hike so more. Hills are mandantory, as one above said stay in the woods. How much actual hunting will you do I think tag and license is $650, might be pretty steep for a few days of hunting. Hike up hill in your spare time.
Yeah, he told me the price for out of state. What can you do. It's only a weekend hunt. Crazy expensive all around, when you add the plane tickets, license, and tag. I'll have to sell a rifle or two. Don't look forward to being groped at the airport, either.
Sorry TRH, but for a wk-end hunt on national forest I would forget the gun and tag unless your buds know something I don't know. Also, if you are driving could you take a camp and hunt a few more days?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only advice I give to newby elk hunters is that you can't be afraid of hiking/riding miles in the dark.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
b-b-b-but-t, there be bears in da bushes....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
The only advice I give to newby elk hunters is that you can't be afraid of hiking/riding miles in the dark.
I remember an elk hunt where we left camp at 4AM. We hiked 4 miles in the dark (took extra flashlight batteries) and I shot an elk within 30 min of legal shooting light. You have to get to where they are.

― George Orwell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntsman22
b-b-b-but-t, there be bears in da bushes....

Bears skeer me...but only the "G" kind.... eek

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 907brass, 18 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,677
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.