Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
i have a kifaru x-ray on the way for use as a carry on during travel (work overseas so travel extensively) my question is that the x-ray uses aluminum stays roughly 16" long and an 1" wide and i wonder if they will present a problem getting through security?

Any one have any experience with a situation like that?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I do it all the time with a Kifaru Express and it has never been an issue. A Kifaru E & E docked on the back of your X-Ray might be a consideration. The latter pops off easily and slides under the seat.

T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
thanks, was worried the stays would be considered a potential weapon since they are easily removable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tim M
thanks, was worried the stays would be considered a potential weapon since they are easily removable.

Given the stupidity that surrounds air travel these days, its possible, but I still think unlikely as the stays are not particularly sharp or pointed, or heavy...

It makes me laugh at some of the items that are banned as potential weapons, but airlines are quite happy for passengers to buy and carry duty free booze (in glass bottles) onto the plane..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The TSA flatly rejected mine...........'course it could have been that stray .357 round down in the pocket. Almost missed the flight over that one.
Seriously, other than the above incident, no problems.
Don

IC B2

T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
thanks

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pete E
but airlines are quite happy for passengers to buy and carry duty free booze (in glass bottles) onto the plane..

aka, clubs.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have an old REI pack with stays that has flown around the world for the last 20+ years. No issues yet. The stay pockets are great places to store an extra copy of your passport and a bit of extra cash.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Great thread. I wondered about aluminum stays. Now that they want to charge for baggage, I was going to start using one of my mid-sized backpacks for all trips. They all have 1 or 2 metal stays in them, and the last thing I want to happen is for them to confiscate something as crucial, and as difficult to replace, as a stay. I mean...hell, they once made me throw out a tiny jar of still sealed peanut butter.

They do let kids bring skateboards, and those are vicious weapons if they need to be. One can never tell anymore.

T
Tim M Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
i played cautious and left them in the truck at the airport (flew on sept 11th which i thought may add to the problem).

plan on asking a TSA rep when i head back to Houston next week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I plan on using my Kifaru Timberline as a carry-on flying from Anchorage to Kodiak. Just removing the stays (they are 26" long anyways) and putting them in my checked baggage. That way I'll be able to check more bags before I have to pay extra. Obviously I won't be filling that bag to the brim so I can still stuff it under the seat but thats my plan.

D
D
DocDB, I had a similar incident while returning from a muley hunt. Had a detour to the TSA counter due to a .30-06 round that had gotten wedged down in a pocket of my pack. Serious pucker there.

My Sitka pack is my favorite carry on. Love it

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
use my kifaru or Just one all the time for carry on.

The problem with checking with TSA when you have time, you never know WHO gets the call at what airport...

Prior to 9-11 I accidentally in a hurry got on a commuter flight in AK back to ANC... still had my 44 on... talk about pucker factor but all was fine... wouldn't have went onto the big flight home of course but things have changed...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Never had a problem with my siwash but of course they felt the need to take a pair of forceps from my medical kit so its not like we're dealing with rocket scientist.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just got back from a hunt and I used my Kifaru Spike camp as my carry on. No problems at all, and the aluminum stays are very easily removable.

The bastids did take my bottle of water tho! WTF?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,050
Posts18,501,017
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.