Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I have had a number of custom rifles built, but all with reworked factory actions. Of the custom action builders out there, who has consistently good quality and is dependable to produce in a timely fashion...i.e.....when they say they will, not necessarily in a hurry. I am not at all familiar with the custom action builders so any help would be appreciated.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What kind of rifle are you wanting to build (hunting, target, tactical)? Different manufacturers have their specialties.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Defiance

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
What kind of rifle are you wanting to build (hunting, target, tactical)? Different manufacturers have their specialties.

It will be a hunting rifle, 270 win or perhaps 270 WSM. thanks

H
H
I have a custom .270 WIN built on a Borden action- smooth as silk.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by highcotton
I have a custom .270 WIN built on a Borden action- smooth as silk.

Hardly an expert but I just received my first rifle with a action other than a factory Remington- mine is a Borden Alpine built .243Win. and its pretty darn slick.

Lots of good ones - the Defiance sure it a nice one also like already mentioned.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've also had good luck with the Stiller receivers and John Pierce receivers. The military must like the Stillers as they bought a few million dollars worth of them.
Butch

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Butch,

Just talked to Mike and he'll be done with my Stiller Predator actioned .260 the beginning of the month. Can hardly wait. Mike speaks highly of the Predators. His opinion and yours are a big part of what made me give them a try.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
BAT machine, the best there is YES, timely no, 6 mo wait at least.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stiller TAC action in length/bolt face of your choosing. Like the TAC strictly for the ergonomics of the action. Oversized but not too big bolt knob and orientation of the bolt handle. Mine was slick as snot. Also bought the Timney trigger made for the Stiller action. Coating on the action left something to be desired but didnt care as I had whole barreled action done in cera kote anyway. Another thing that sold me on the TAC was the S/A version was set up for a std remington mag box. Had no need for the wyatts extended box and the funky feeling bolt cycle that comes with it. Stiller Predator S/A receivers WILL come with the wyatts box unless you ordering like 20 of them then Butch and Jerry will set them up std remington box. But the TAC is definitely a great action. If and when the want/need for another build arises, I will buy another Stiller TAC action.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see Surgeon actions as best for percision builds

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Defiance

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The McMillan G30 is in my opinion the gold standard.

17-4 PH action, quick disassembly of bolt without tools, best primary extraction in the industry, dissimilar metals in bolt and receiver for slickness, proper bolt fluting that will break ice and move contaminates out of the action, best bolt shroud going, uses standard Rem 700 scope bases if modified for 8-40 screws, superlative fit and finish.

Of course the G-30 is a little more money than the �other guys� but every time I handle one I can at least say the dollars bought you something.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
The McMillan G30 is in my opinion the gold standard.

17-4 PH action, quick disassembly of bolt without tools, best primary extraction in the industry, dissimilar metals in bolt and receiver for slickness, proper bolt fluting that will break ice and move contaminates out of the action, best bolt shroud going, uses standard Rem 700 scope bases if modified for 8-40 screws, superlative fit and finish.

Of course the G-30 is a little more money than the �other guys� but every time I handle one I can at least say the dollars bought you something.

Does $1,450 spent on a G-30 action buy you a one piece Bolt assembly?

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope.

But it does buy you the best Rem 700 clone, in my opinion. smile

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Surgeon or Defiance Machine!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim62
Does $1,450 spent on a G-30 action buy you a one piece Bolt assembly?

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Nope.
smile

Enough said.
smile

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To bad Ed Brown stopped making the 702 actions as those were really nice.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
BAT machine, the best there is YES, timely no, 6 mo wait at least.
+1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
bat machine is the best remington clone, the g30 DOES NOT have a machined in recoil lug, which makes for a less clean look, less easier barrel changes or swaps and IMO is less rigid and strong. second there is no machined in picitinny rail, the machined in rail adds a TON of stiffness and simplfies the scope mounting process, no bases or base screws to dink with!!!! no worry about is it 8x40 or not.

the surgeon 591 and BAT VR are the only actions that offer both these features in one package and both features IMO inhance accuracy not just operation. the surgeon is more geared toward the tactical crowd and does have greater tolerances, the BAT has tighter tolerances, I don't intend to drop my gun in the mud and wiping the bolt down at the end of every couple days is not a big deal for me, probably don't even need to do that. the only thing I would change about my BAT is I would machine down the back corner of the bolt stop/release so it sits back from the edge of the stock and perhaps would be harder to push inadvertently, but it hasn't been a problem yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,384
Posts18,527,611
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.