Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hella bear and hella hunt really. I wished more folks ran with the fact that they harvested a representative animal but had a great hunt... too hung up on numbers some times. IMHO.

PS always liked the 375 wtby.. its not the flare of the 378 but always liked the 375 for some reason.

My bear guide buddy told me last week when we were in AK, that the only bear he has ever seen floored was this fall with a 460 and CORRECT shot placement... said the bear fell and almost never twitched, point of shoulder entry... I'd think the 500 would have made it more comfortable.
BUT if I ever get the chance as he gets more guide areas and such and can afford it, i'd love to shoot a legal brownie boar with my bow... No size issues, small would be fine as long as legal, just the idea of a brownie with a bow gets me all horned up.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Colorado: Congratulations! Looks like a really fine bear.Good for you! wink

x2. Looks like a great hunt.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

[email protected]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Congrats. That looks like a great bear. Glad you enjoyed my stomping grounds. It is some amazing country. Like others have said Rick Grant is the best in the business as I am sure you noticed. Good to see people enjoy a good animal. It is pretty amazing how quick they can disappear when they hit those alders. I had my own intense bear search in the thickets a few weeks ago.
Good job and enjoy that boy for years to come.

P.S. When you were taking off from Shannons Pond with Rick you were looking right into my living room windows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice!

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very cool. Thanks for the report and pics.
Great place to visit for any reason. I am probably getting too old to do all the things that living there offers, but I can dream and enjoy others stories. I was able to do a bear hunt and a fishing trip with my son who was stationed in Anc. I just love seeing and hearing of others encounters such as this one.
Thanks.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations! nice looking bear.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
WOW! Thanks for the report of a great hunt and the pics to go with it. Congrats on that BRUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jeff that was a great post

couldn't agree more

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congrats on a great hunt! Really nice pictures to go with your story...well done!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks all!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on a hunt of a lifetime! Great bear!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations on a great hunt and a great trophy!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on the great bear Colo! It sounds like the perfect hunt - a lot of suspense (but not too much) and then success.

How was the weather up there this year?

I went up fairly near there (about 50 miles NE of U. Togiak) last year, and it got wierdly hot and sunny for the last 7 days.

So, what did you do for the rest of the hunt? The post-shooting part (celebrating for days with cigars, coffeee, and a little booze at night) can be almost as good as the hunting part.

I also used a .375 Wby (300gr NP, in my case) and it worked similarly (it exited, but probably due to the diferent angle).

What are you going to do with the hide if you know?

You'll have a great trophy no matter what you do with it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Colorado,

It's 6:45am and I'm just now enjoying my second cup of coffee. I am getting ready to post on the best thread I've seen here for a long time! Thank you for taking me along on your trip smile

Very well done, sir!

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Colorado,

Don't think I didn't notice those Zeiss Classics hanging around your neck...(grin)

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hi MarineHawk we got a couple of sunny afternoons, but otherwise drizzle, rain, overcast rinse and repeat. The morning we left of course it was gorgeous. We never had a big storm with sideways rain so we felt we totally lucked out on the weather. As far as the trophy, I having a rug made with the a fake skull inside the head with mouth closed by D&C of Anchorage. I'm also getting the skull as a trophy (it will look nice in my office and enhance my warm and fuzzy reputation lol).

Bearhuntr thanks for the compliment,

And Calvin those are my ebay Zeiss Classics, thanks all for the advice on gear, they worked great, and thanks everyone for the kind comments on my hunt report.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on a nice hunt and Great pics!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
13 YARDS!!! I believe that's called the "Pucker Factor"!

What scope? And what power did you have it on when you shot?

My sincere congratulations to you!

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks! A Leupold VX-R Firedot 2-7x33mm set at 2x. I always set my variables at their lowest power and always check them to make sure each morning. It seemed to work fine though at that range the iron sights on my 500 Jeffery would've been preferable. Here's a pic of part of the bear with my rifle next to him.

[Linked Image]

While 13 yards was a thrill, following the trail through the stick stuff expecting a charge was much more intense.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks! A my scope was a Leupold VX-R Firedot 2-7x33mm set at 2x. I always set my variables at their lowest power and always check them to make sure each morning. Though at that range open sights would've been better.

Last edited by colorado; 10/06/11.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 77 invisible), 3,521 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,322
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.