Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Very good point Boyd.
<br>
<br>It takes .42933 Seconds which is less then 1/2 of a second for the bullet to get there at 400 yards.
<br>
<br>I was going to post the same thing.
<br>
<br>My Dad use to take head shots to save the deer meat and he didn't wound any either with jaw shots. He always waited till they stopped and he had the correct angle shot at them from 50 to 75 yards.
<br>
<br>He was a short range hunter but, I don't see a difference if the range is 75 yards or 400 if the shot is made and the animal is dead.
<br>
<br>Just My opinion
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Darryl,I don't think some people realize or understand ballistic's the way we do.I just wanted to see what his answer would be.If you really wanna be ethical,shooting one in the head is as quick and as ethical a kill as you can get.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm not piling on here, but I don't like head shots at any range so if it gets longer it just allows more possibilities of a jaw or other wounding shot. If, a deer walks at 4 miles and hour, and half of the bullet's flight time to 400 yards was used by the animal deciding to move, he would move just a fraction over 1 foot, 3 inches in the remaining 1/2 of the bullet's flight time. But he doesn't have to walk, he just has to slightly move his head. At any rate, for all those reasons, at any range, I am not fond of head shots. Lots of meat hunters take them, maybe they never miss either.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boyd - Long enough for the animal to move. I have no desire to argue with you people. I was asked a question and I answered it. If you don't like the fact that I don't take head shots who cares, with your opinion and a dollar I can buy a dollars worth of gas. When this subject first came up I was interested enough to send my 25.00 and buy your video and find out for myself what it was about. I don't understand why you get upset because someone disagrees with your opinion, we all have our own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are the one who is getting upset..I am tring to explain to you that in about the same time it take's to blink your eye's,a bullet will reach 400 yard's...The deer would have to be moving before you pull the trigger.When you watch the video you will see what I am talking about...And you will have a MUCH better understanding how thing's work.All I'm doing is tring to help out.And Clint,All I was doing was asking YOU a ?.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boyd - Are you trying to tell me that the animal does not have time to turn it's head between the time the bullet leaves the barrel and the time of arrival? I believe your smarter then that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I have no dog in either fight really. As far as head shots go, they do have the possibility of wounding if you screw up. I have seen it. I have also taken head shots myself, and have not lost a deer to it yet. Most of the time, the deer goes down right away. There is always though, like I said, the possibility of screwing up, and with head shots, there is not much margin for error.
<br> I realize that these guys don't take a shot unless they are confident that the animal will not move, at least at long range. However, if the animal did decide to move, even in that fraction of a second, things could get screwed up very badly. I am in very good shape as far as physical fitness goes, and in that half second time, I could go from a standing stop to about 10 feet away, and that's with me not even being up to speed yet. They say an average man can cover 20 feet in a second and a half, and a fast person can make it a second. So I just thought I'd throw that out for you all. Enjoy!

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am talking about a STANDING,CALM deer and not a running deer.You have stated you opinion's,and I can't explain it any better.So Clint,watch the video.The shot would not have been taken if there was ANY doubt....

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I agree with the head shots not being attemted at the ranges we normally shoot or at ANY time an animal is moving. The target (Brain of a deer) is simply to small past 500 yards to assure a clean kill. My Dad saved as much meat as possible as, he was a meat hunter. He did very good on head shots. There are several of those hunters still in the mountain regions of North Central PA.
<br>
<br>If you would have seen the deer in the video, you would understand exactly how it happened. The head and a very small part of the neck was sticking up above the tall grass and the fellows were confident with the shot at 400 yards and took it. The deer never knew what hit it.
<br>
<br>It looked as if the deer had just stood up from his bed and was very still and Non-moving.
<br>
<br>The percentages of hitting a head at ranges past that are not real good but, dead is dead and they got the deer they shot at and it's on tape.
<br>
<br>The tape is being furnished to show the accuracy and killing power. that can be attained from these Longrange custom rigs.
<br>
<br>Later
<br>Darryl

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure this is an obscure fact that doesn't interest the participants in this thread, but the average duration of a human blink is .2 to .3 second, so the bullet's flight time was quite a bit longer than the normal blink.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're right....Still not fast enough to make a difference.Pa people must blink slower than people in Texas.....;)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't doubt that. Didn't they vote for Gore, too? LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't speak for everone else......But I did'nt......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIFID - That was a low shot. LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What can I say? I'm not used to shooting at long range. I'll use another mil dot next time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clint,
<br>
<br>I wonder how many takes they have in a movie? I wonder if they are edited? I remember wild westerns with the six-shooters that shot sixteen times. Heck, I don't believe half what I see on TV, a magician made a 747 dissapear right before my eyes last week, then the terminal. That's OK, he brought them back with everyone watching. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll just bet you are from Texas too.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boyd, such comments as a deer not being able to move its head during a 400 yard bullet flight used to annoy me, but now I just shake my head in wonder. It is comical to watch you fellows squim out of simple fact. I just tried this half second move myself. Standing stock still I can jump a good six feet in under half a second. I can turn my head in less, without hurry. I assume from your logic that my demonstration proves I am a lot faster than a deer at either jumping or moving my head. At least the deer you shoot at are that slow, or maybe this is part of the contract you fellows have with nature that no wind gust or animal movement is allowed to mess up your shots. The calm deer, not running, is irrelevant and you know it. Calm deer turn their heads quickly to flick at flies, look at another deer, and for an infinite list of other reasons. Yes, I do believe the shooter didn't have ANY doubts, as you wrote. But he acheived it by a denial of reality, well demonstrated by your posts.
<br>
<br>Darryl, you are too good a man to "me too" such nonsense. The shooter took the chance that the deer would not move, and he got away with it. What is so wrong with saying so?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep,your right.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Okabagan
<br>
<br>I guess I got away with it too, because I head shot a deer or two like my Dad did, when I was short range hunting, years ago. I made sure of the shot and pulled the trigger and they dropped.
<br>
<br>My hunting partner killed a bull elk by a shot in the head at 1100 Yards. As we all know, an elks head is MUCH bigger then a deers. That bull (spike) elk was in his bed and NOT moving the head at all. We could only see the full head and horns and part of the neck. Maybe my hunting partner got away with something but, the elk never knew what hit it as it rolled out of his bed. Not a bit of spoiled meat on that elk like we would have had if it would have stood up and we slamed one into the shoulder.
<br>
<br>I've shot deer and elk in the base of the neck while Longrange hunting but, never the head. It doesn't mean I wouldn't under the right circumstances again, though. It is "my" choice if, I decide to do it.
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel
<br>
<br>

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,074
Posts18,501,526
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.