Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Had two of those over the years, most recently only about 18 monts ago. Both were in 40. Found them slightly heavy and very bulky, but that is just my view and expereince. I know that there are a LOT of them out there, and the 40 does have a goodly amount of ammo options.

I have a bit of trade bait coming my way this weekend as a part of my deals. Probably should wait on the gunshows until I have all my cards to play so as to get the best possible all arounder. Besides, this thread is FUN and makes the old "What if" stuff we all used to do come down to earth and makes us all think. A gun show up in Moses Lake area Saturday after next, probably will make that one, trade bait and cash burning a hole unless something more comes up here. Been offered a Model 19 with a lazer for $550and a Springfield Armory 45ACP with some modifications to it including black and green coatings proffesionally done, beavertail grip safety, better sights, upgraded trigger Wilson Combat Magazine and a larger (Jet STREAM) mag well. A full sized all steel gun, but a nice one at a fair price of $550 shipped to me. That one is tempting me. I have been told by many here and close friends locally that carying a full size all steel 1911 is not a big deal with the right leather. This gun might be my impetus to give such a try. Local Sherrif newly elected carries a full size 45 in a crossbreed tuckable IWB holster and recomends it highly. Hmmmmmm......

Last edited by safariman; 09/27/11.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...S_Springfield_Armory_1911_A1#Post5658257

OK, I got a bit confused..... This SA is not the one with the green and black coatings but it does have some nice upgrades. I am considering this firearm but am worried about a put together or modified by ____________? gun perhaps not working just right when I got it and mostly how much more this gun is going to show through clothing or 'imprint' when carried concealed due to the mag well. What do ya'll think? Is it easy to remove the mag well? Could that mag well be dremeled or otherwise shaped to a less obtrusive outside shape? A good value here? Are the Sppringfield Armory guns pretty reliable and well made with good feed ramp geometry, accuracy? OK running hollow point and truncated nose ammo?

Hoping Kevin Gibson and James Dunn as well as others will chime in on this one.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
...I am surprised that my "looking for/want to buy" posts in classifieds have not turned up more guns for sale...

You'll want to check gunbroker, gunsamerica, armslist...

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just joined Gunbroker, all of the guns I saw were from full time dealers selling brand new in the box guns at full retail. Are other sites better at hooking up private party hobbyist buyers and sellers?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kind of going a different direction, but if you consider the .45 ACP to be adiquite for your needs (and I certainly would) and concealed carry and light weight are priorities......you might want to look at the Taurus 745.

This is a VERY compact double action semi-auto and is exteeemly comfortable to carry and shoot in the slim single-stack magazine version. At just 21 oz. and thin profile it is almost as easy to carry as most .380 pistols.....but carries the .45 punch. It's not a target pistol but I find the first shot triugger pull on the Taurus to be much less upsetting than other double action pistols.....and after the first round it is single action.

I often carry the 6+1 shot 745 when I really need the pistol to be concealed, but my wife prefers the slightly wider 145 (10+1 shot) version even though her hands are smaller than mine. She says it just "feels" better to her. Both pistols are short, light and trim.....might be what you want for true concealed use.....but in a chambering that could work in the woods too.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Just joined Gunbroker, all of the guns I saw were from full time dealers selling brand new in the box guns at full retail. Are other sites better at hooking up private party hobbyist buyers and sellers?

Do an advanced search and select used guns only. I've gotten some screaming deals on GB.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good tip. I will look into how to do that. Can't be hard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark - if you're seriously trying to keep this as economical as possible within your requirements, I'd suggest the Taurus 1911 in steel and a good holster/belt combo. Unless you can find a better deal on a used 1911 that can be confirmed reliable by you.

If you can deal with a lack of beavertail GS, I would suggest the Springfield GI.

If you can deal with a shorter sight-radius and harsher recoil, the 3" model 60 is a good option - but more expensive than some 1911 models. I find the 60 to be fairly easy to conceal with a good holster, and very easy to shoot well.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was just offered a slightly used Kimber Pro Carry, non laser, black and not the CT and rosewood grips and slightly wear blemished, but pretty reasonable as in about what a new all steel SA would cost me. Thunkin hard on it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not a RIA 4" to fit the bill .... new prices come in under your budget ... Several folks here like'em ....

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Time to quit thinking and start acting. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Another option...think they go 30 ounces.

Best price I've seen on one in a while, they are discontinued.

Jerry

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=253045245

Si vis pacem, para bellum
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jerry--That's rather an unfortunate barrel length, for a CCW, don't you think?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jerry,

That is one COOL lookin handgun! Had a 360PD for a while and even it with its 3 inch bbl was a little difficult to 'pocket' and if I need to holster a handgun then I might as well go with a little more handgun, so I sold it. Thanks for the link, for a pure trail gun that one would be top shelf.

Scott, so your vote is to snag the Kimber pro carry ll? I am leaning hard that way...... smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If it is a good price go for it. I doubt you will ever be sorry. If I do get your way I will bring you a sack full of my cast stuff but you will have to give me your word you won't use them to beat me next year. grin

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
People tend to suggest what works best for them, i.e. what fits their hand the best and what they feel most comfortable shooting, but everyone is different. That's why some love Glocks and others wouldn't have one in the house, some like revolvers and others autos. Incidentally, a revolver IMHO can be more versatile because you can vary the power level to a greater extent than a semi-auto, e.g. with a 357 you can shoot everything from 38 wadcutter target ammo to full power hunting loads.

What I would do, is borrow as many different pistols and revolvers from friends as you can, that fit your parameters for weight, caliber and price, and try them out to see which fits your hand the best and what you can shoot the best - hopefully they will be the same. Then buy that. And get a good holster and belt to carry it - I'm not a big guy but with a good holster I don't have a problem carrying a 2 lb gun all day. I haven't read the whole thread to see if anyone else has already suggested it, but that's my best shot at a general answer because I know what works for me, but it may not work for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If one were inclined to search firearms classifieds, may I suggest a gander at these:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum.php

http://www.seattleguns.net/

Both are local Ore/Wa/Id forums

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I used to have the NW site saved in my favorites, but somehow lost it. THANK YOU! Exactly what I needed! (Said the alky to the bartender....... smile )

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to help, haven't been on either in a while as my gun fund is a little depleted at the moment do to more pressing expenses so I have no idea what's current there but lots of pistols sell off both of those forums.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Mallard.I signed up for the Northwest Firearms. Been looking for something local.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (16penny, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,318
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.