Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting to hear everyone's take on this. I love the old hymns too, but CCM is the music that stirs my soul and really makes me think about what my Christianity means to me. My daughter is a members of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the interesting thing is, when they get together, the music runs the gamut from the classic old hymns to the latest Christian rap, which I just can't stomach. I don't think it's as much the format, as what one gets out of the message that matters most.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For me consistency with scripture is most important, and I can worship with the traditional or contemporary style. We all might be surprised what is sung in heaven....

Long

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am from the school of thought that lyrics are just "pitched mouth noises" (a concept mentioned by the late Frank Zappa), so I do not limit myself to lyrics, and really do not care what they say.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by arctic338
It is 95% of the music I listen to.

Me too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's a question that will tell your age...
Who remembers "Rez Band", or "2nd chapter of Acts" or "Petra" or "Brown Bannister"? That's where I started, and Wayne Watson's song "Offer up the Sacrifice" used to give me goose bumps as a teenager and new believer.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm a big fan of K-Love too. It's the music I like, the DJs are mostly dorks.

Last edited by achadwick; 09/29/11.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too listen to contemporary Christian music.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Who remembers "Rez Band", or "2nd chapter of Acts" or "Petra" or "Brown Bannister"? That's where I started, and Wayne Watson's song "Offer up the Sacrifice" used to give me goose bumps as a teenager and new believer.

I remember Resurrection Band. Too bad they didn't last.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

RatherBHuntin;
I'll see your Petra and 2nd Chapter of Acts and raise you a Larry Norman and a Randy Matthews!

Our eldest daughter really is into Christian music of all sorts and as I've mentioned before is also part of one of our church worship teams.

Anyway, she's introduced me to bands like the Newsboys - we saw them live actually - as well as Thousand Foot Krutch, Skillet, Toby Mac, Kutless, Big Daddy Weave and a few others I've forgotten.

Some of it isn't really to my taste, but some isn't that hard to listen to and as RickyD mentioned, some of these youngsters take their faith very seriously. That I can certainly respect.

Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane tonight RatherB, it brought back memories of when my wife and I were dating - 29 years ago. grin

All the best to you sir and good luck on your upcoming hunts as well.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went to a Petra concert at Northwest Nazarene college, way back in '89. It was one of the best live acts I have seen, period.

Other than that, I don't listen to much Christian music, other than at church.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RatherB, I Got to see Rez band SEVERAL times! Loved em! Also Petra maybe twice. Yep, THOSE were the good old days, these younger kids just don't know good music...... GRINZ

Anyone here ever been to a concert at Warehouse Ministries in California?

Back on topic, give me the Gold City Quartet most of the time these days smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I believe the contemporary christian music has gotten better and better each year. And no wonder. There are no creeds and doctrine to stay in bounds of, no board of elders to please, no world wide headquarters looking over the artists shoulders. Just the Holy Scripture, the Holy Spirit, and a submitted servant of Christ. Much like when David wrote his Psalms. No wonder so many of the songs we now hear and play seem so anointed. They are.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I do listen to Contemporary Christian music. I enjoy Casting Crowns, CeCe Winans, Mercy Me and a few others.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Interesting to hear everyone's take on this. I don't think it's as much the format, as what one gets out of the message that matters most.
I like the traditional stuff but I think you nailed it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Contemporary is a little too........"lite" for me. I prefer harder stuff despite my Baptist upbringing. Rock, metal, ska, rapcore, industrial etc
POD
Spoken
Klank
Ballydowse
OGG
The softest I'll go is early 3rd Day or the Choir

Bad decisions make good stories.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My son likes the heavy stuff and his favorite is August Burns Red. I personally can't listen to it. Sounds anything but Christian, but after my experience I mentioned at Sunshine, I learned I may have more to learn. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
My son likes the heavy stuff and his favorite is August Burns Red. I personally can't listen to it. Sounds anything but Christian, but after my experience I mentioned at Sunshine, I learned I may have more to learn. wink

If there ever was a case of "one man's poison is another man's..." music has got to be it.
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brandon Heath fan here. "I'm not who I was" is a great tune...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mark me down also for 95 percent of the time. We saw Third Day in Austin a couple of years ago. They are going to be in Round Rock Nov. 13 along with a few others.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,791
Posts18,516,061
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.