Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
WE..Funny you should ask just in the process of alloying some ingots,will be pouring next week I hope.The 444 shoots great so far with 240gr Sierra HP's. Been talkin with ET about planting it on top of some BP at about 1400 fps.You probably will beat me to actually pouring bullets so be sure to give me a heads up!!Thanks

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I will let you know when I get it going. Budget has been kinda tight here lately so I wasn't able to get a few of the other supplies I needed. Another week or so and I will order some gas checks and I still have to get some sizing dies and top punches for a new (to me) lubrisizer since I am trying to get away from tumble lubing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I also have to do some alloying and smelting myself. My brother just gave me about 25-30 pounds of pure sheet lead. Gonna fire up the turkey frier this weekend for that.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

Hey Woody, have you been able to play with this mold at all yet? I just ordered one for myself except a 6 cavity instead of the 2 cavity--got to keep the revolver supplied grin

War Eagle just now sunk in crazy a six cavity eh?.. probably should have gone that route myself.ET told me the same that the the 6 cavity may eliminate the headaches of holding a more constant heat..be real interested to hear your results!! smile

Woody
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep--6 cavity grin

Actually, I went with it for the better quality mold. Better machining on the vent lines and hella better alignment pins. I won't knock the 6 cavity but I definitely think if Lee applied their 6 cavity manufacturing techniques to a 3 or 4 cavity mold, they would really have something.

I never really had any heat consistencies with the 2 cavities before. I did run to molds though so I wasn't getting one screaming hot.

IC B2

Anybody know where I could lay my hands on a #280468 or #280473?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sure it's not a 287? Checked Lyman's site, and they've nothing listed in 280 prefix.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Woody, have you ever used the Lee molds? I currently have three and feel they are an amazing deal. They cast much better than they should. One thing to watch on those two cavity molds is to make sure they completely close before refilling. Something that works for me is this: after dropping the bullets, and the mold is still open, turn the sprue plate to it's "closed" position and then close the mold. Since the two cavity doesn't have the best alignment pins, that closed sprue plate acts as extra alignment and makes sure the mold seals up tight when closing.

I recently splurged and bought a Lee six cavity to feed my .38 special. What a difference in workmanship over the two cavity version. The face of the mold is better machined with much better vent lines and it has true aligment pins as opposed to those little sideways dowels on the 2 cavity type. True, they are a little more and you have to buy handles, but they are still cheaper than most of the other manufacturers and you can fill up a bucket of bullets in a hurry.

That 310gr .44 is one that has intrigued me for a while, I am really eager to see how it works in my Redhawk. Keep us updated on how it works out for you.

Originally Posted by Creeker
[Linked Image]

Creeker, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of lubesizing set up are you using there?

Not Creeker, but it's a Star Sizer. They are made my Magma Engineering now, there is nothing like them although they do take a little longer to set up.

http://magmaengineering.com/products/54-magma-star-lube-sizer

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep--6 cavity grin

Actually, I went with it for the better quality mold. Better machining on the vent lines and hella better alignment pins. I won't knock the 6 cavity but I definitely think if Lee applied their 6 cavity manufacturing techniques to a 3 or 4 cavity mold, they would really have something.

I never really had any heat consistencies with the 2 cavities before. I did run to molds though so I wasn't getting one screaming hot.

Just thought I'd let you know after being too busy to try the double cavity and with your input on the 6 cavity I returned the double cavity yesterday and ordered the 6 cavity.I like the idea of the larger mold area to keep temp spikes down and also the way the closer pins align the mold... wink You cast any yet??

Woody
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Actually, I have. My biggest hold up was waiting on a lubesizer die. That showed up Tuesday. I proceeded to install gas checks and lube about 100 of them for load testing. I have 30 loaded up with gradually increasing loads of 2400. With luck, I will make it to the range this weekend.

The only reason I hadn't posted an update is because I hadn't had a chance to take any picutes. I will update and let you know how things go whenever I get back from the range.

I really think you will be happy with the 6 cavity versus the 2 cavity.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have you miked them to see if they are .430 ..and what alloy are you going with?

I won't gas check as I'll be working up some BP loads and will be interested to chrono them while checking groups.

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 10/06/11.

Woody
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am in the market for a mic but using my dial caliper, they are slightly oblong. Measuring the diameter at the mold line, I get 0.431". Measuring the diameter 90 degrees from the mold line I get 0.430".

I am sizing to 0.430" so I don't know if the slight out-of-round condition straight from the mold will be evidient when shot.

My alloy is 50% wheel weights and 50% pure lead; the bullets were water quenched also.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
check your twist rate on the 444, I have a 44mag and have difficulty stabilizing the big heavy ones. (330gr or so)

Here's a few that I cast.

[Linked Image]

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
What do ya do in your spare time. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 1minute, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.