Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
It was recently pointed out to me that Cerakote on the bolt head or lug area of a rifle does more harm than good. Something about changing head space. I contended if your bolt head is not covered you are not getting a complete job or the full benefits of Cerakote protection. It has the highest amount of corrosion protection of any coating.

Deer season opened yesterday here in Oregon. It was a wet one. My sons Weatherby Accumark spent the entire day in the rain. Being we are within shooting distance to the ocean I think the rain here on the coast might be more corrosive. May be not. I noticed his rifle sitting on the bench this morning so I thought I would take a peek. On the outside it looked okay.

[Linked Image]
Shot at 2011-10-02

Pulling the bolt back revealed this.
[Linked Image]
Shot at 2011-10-02

Here is what Cerakote looks like on the lugs of a 700 after 250 rounds. No change in accuracy was noted by the owner of this rifle who is required to document every shot out of it or any other of his duty rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The change in head space appears to be a non-issue. To me it's more than just pretty. I would rather have Cerakote's full benefits obtained by a complete coating.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No reason to leave the bolt closed.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It seems to me that you are trying to make a mountain of a molehill, or just a subtle attempt at a personal attack on my work. Since you are referring to me, I feel obliged to respond. I stated the reasons why "I" do things, and you continue to try and tell us all how to do it correctly. Not just here on this forum, but I see you argue with other very experienced coaters over on the "Hide" also.

Looks like to me that the rifle sure wasn't wiped down with anything worth it's weight in gold as far as protection goes. I agree that being by the ocean with the salt content in the air is worse than not being by the coast. I have coated quite a few rifles that live in the likes Florida, Oregon, Washington, SE Alaska etc... and haven't had any complaints.

How do you get Cerakote behind the Rem 700 extractors for the "complete" coat job that you boast so passionately about? What about firing pin springs? That plunger doesn't appear to be coated. I seen other pictures of yours that show three bolts coated, but not the cocking pieces....
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ub...in=247888&Number=2807383#Post2807383

[Linked Image]

Probably just the customer not wanting the cocking pieces coated. Hmmmm, I've seen cocking pieces rusted before. I coat them all the time. So much for the "To me it's more than just pretty. I would rather have Cerakote's full benefits obtained by a complete coating."

What about the receiver lug abutments inside the receiver of a Rem 700? Those must all be rusted to crap on rifles.

You crapped on my thread by trying to be the Gandhi of cerakote work, or maybe it's your way of trying to drum up more business, don't really know and don't really care.

I truly wish you the best in your endeavors, but you sure aren't good at getting off on the right foot.

My last post on this subject, maybe I should quit posting pictures of my work. I better call Karl and tell him to start coating bolt faces and behind the lugs also.

Off my soap box now, and I apologize for those that have to read this, and to all the rusty gun parts in rifle heaven. smirk

Last edited by eddief; 10/02/11. Reason: spelling

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks to me like it should have been oiled up before heading out and when done for the day.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If that is your son's rifle, why didn't you coat it for him in the first place?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
If that is your son's rifle, why didn't you coat it for him in the first place?

Hmmm...
Dat is a good ? .

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Or you could just spray WD-40 on the bolt and inside the action like most knowledgeable hunters would have done at the end of a wet day. Zero rust the next day when you cleaned and lubed it.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
This is simple. He does the coating. He is out in the shop right now detail stripping it after another full day in the rain. After I pointed this out to him he said he would do it after hunting season.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, rifles been around for years without Cerakoted lugs..and most that have been half assed taken care of are not rusty. Wonder what they did?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I agree with you Take_a_knee. That is how we used to do it long before we ever heard of Cerakote.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So your son does cerakoting as a business, but runs around with a blued rifle? This story just keeps getting better.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have a feeling that Hiredgun is just trying to drum up business for his coating service.

I put my rifles through a good deal of abuse due to living in an area with 100+ inches of rain a year and in a saltwater environment. Hell, the saltwater comes up to 3ft from my deck on high tide. I've never had 1 day of hunting result in rust like that with a properly oiled rifle. More like 3-5 days of hunting, with no wipe down/oiling during the hunt. YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rust happens when you neglect your rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He deleted that post quick..was like an advertisement.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Been a member since 04. I only come here when I feel the need to be kicked around. Objective complete. I just disagreed with one guy and posted a couple pictures to support my statements in my own thread as he suggested. That is not soliciting. Am I not entitled to an opinion? While I'm at it I still like Leupold and Weatherby's too.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Almost forgot. I like WD40 too.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Coat it and change the rings and bases while your at it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Eddie, this is Archie..... We shot the blue thunder this past weekend......by far the best cerakote job I have ever seen.... And it was my sons rifle.... And I payed for it !!!!!!! Eddie... RB recommended you and he wasn't wrong......just keep up the good work.......don't sweat the small stuff...... Your work is second to none.......

Men and Rivers are made crooked by the path of least resistance....!!!!!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That's one reason my rifles are stainless.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks Archie, I had a lot of fun doing that bright stock, it turned out looking...well, Auburn like. grin

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (44mc, 007FJ, 808outdoors, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 9 invisible), 1,275 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.