-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
I wanted to share a great weekend hunt I had with my Son and my Dad back home on my family farm. Saturday Sept 24th was the 2011 Youth Day deer hunt. We have hunted this season with good success for the past three years but this year my son was able to take a really nice buck.

We woke to a steady rain on Saturday morning but we were going no matter what the weather was doing. We left the truck just after first light and started our long walk into the location we were going to hunt next to the New River. We were moving very slowly as we glassed the edges of the fields trying to catch a deer heading back into its bedding area. About 7:15am we spotted four does browsing for acorns under a big oak on the top of a ridge. The wind was in our favor and with the rain covering our sound we were able to stalk within 50 yards of them and setup in a patch of small pines. I asked my son if he wanted to take the biggest doe but he said he wanted to hold out for a buck. We watched them for a couple minutes as they browsed their way back in the laurel thickets towards their bedding area. As we watched them head out of sight the rain stopped and the fog started to roll in off the river. We decided to continue out the ridge and glass the last field before we started into the timber.

Once we reached our vantage point on the ridge over looking the last field we began to glass, no deer to be seen. We decided to sit on the ridge to watch the thermals carry the fog for a few minutes to determine what the wind was going to do with our scent before we entered the timber. As all of you hunters know a deer�s sense of smell is their number one defense and I am working with my son to teach him how to read the wind and play it to his advantage. We had been sitting there for about 5 minutes when I saw a big bodied deer working along the edge of the woods on the other side of the field. I watched it through my binoculars for a few seconds and could tell it was a good buck but the fog was making the details hard to see. I told my son to get his shooting sticks set up and get ready to take the shot. The deer was quartering away slightly and eating acorns. I ranged the deer at 290 yards. Then I told him how high to hold on the deer�s body to compensate for the bullet drop and to let me know when he was ready. After a couple of seconds he said �Ready Dad!� as my Dad and I watched through our binoculars I told him to �Send it�. With the crack of the rifle the deer kicked like a mule and ran into the woods where we heard it crash. We sat quietly for 5 long minutes just to be sure we would not push him then we went to find his buck. It turned out to be a very nice big bodied 9 pointer. That�s when the high fives and hugs began.

Needless to say my Dad and I are very proud of our hunting buddy.

Thanks,
Oneshot

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That is AWESOME! grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great story and fantastic deer. Congrats to the whole family.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
Great story and fantastic deer. Congrats to the whole family.

Couldn't have said it better...

what county was that taken in?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful dark horns on that sucker. I really like the shape too with the tips curling a little inward. Just a truly pretty deer. Well done to you and your son.

Deal with it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This is most EXCELLENT! Great story, great pictures, Great buck. Cograts to your son.

Congrats to you and your dad as well for teaching the way of the woods.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
LOVE that choclate rack.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
FANTASTIC - congrats to your son.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
WOW! What a great story and experience. Slap the kid on the back from the fire.

Joseph

Joseph
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Seafire

what county was that taken in?

Seafire,
It was taken in Grayson county VA.

Thanks,
Mike

IC B3

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for all the congrats guys! I am very proud of his dedication to hunting and shooting!

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oneshot976;
Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful photos and story of your son's hunt with us, I always enjoy seeing the young hunters getting out afield.

Please pass along congratulations on a very nice whitetail to your son. I know I'd be very happy with one such as that.

I'll send you a tip of the hat as well for making sure this hunt took place. Actually you get a double "well done" for including your father in this special hunt too. Well done sir.

Thanks again for sharing this with us. All the best to you and yours and good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks Dwayne! It is my pleasure to share this with fellow hunters. I look forward to reading the same type stories from other hunters and hopefully sharing more myself.

Good luck to you sir on your upcoming hunts.

Mike

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Give the young man a high five from me! Nice work!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice!!

Well done!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nothing better than hunting with family. Nice buck congrats to the young man.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Oneshot-

Congratulations on a fine deer and a great hunt on your family's land..

I wish you a lifetime of such hunts.. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love these family hunting stories. Congrats all the around.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful buck! 290yds huh, that's a great shot for a youngster! Congrats to you both!

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for all the kind words guys! I have been sharing your feedback with my son. He is still smiling! smile

Thanks again,
Mike

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (1lesfox, 44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,060 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,417
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.