Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thinking of trying a one-ragged hole peep and ruger made hi-vis front sigh on my 5.5" bull barrel Mark II. Had the ORH sight a few years ago, but it was nothing special back then with my younger eyes. Now I'm thinking the peep sight and hi-viz sight will make a fast shooting low-light skunk hunting weapon!
Any one have experience with the hi-vis sights from ruger? They are much cheaper than williams sights, but rugers look like plastic.
Opinions guys?

H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

B
B
I don't have experience specifically with the Ruger Hi-Viz sights. However, I did add a Tactical Solutions Hi-Viz fiber optic front sight to my Ruger Mark II 5.5" barrel and I love it. I retained the factory rear. It is a user preference thing, but some folks find just a hi-viz front sight plenty for fast sight acquisition. Some people find fiber or tritium rear sights a little more distracting. After all, you should focus on the front sight.

I added the same front sight to my TacSol Pac-Lite upper on my Ruger 22/45. Obviously these sights work great for me. ;-) And they are in the $20 to $25 price range IIRC. They are offered in green, amber and red. I went with green as most people (me included) see in the green spectrum a little better and the green sight doesn't wash out when I use it in bright daylight.

The downside to a fiber sight is that it doesn't have strong illumination in really low-light environments. They amplify available light. Too much past dusk and they won't be too bright. So, if you want better low-light you might look to get something with tritium.

Another option (though much more costly) would be to add a Picatinny rail to the upper in front of the rear sight. TacSol makes these for the PacLite and the same rail can be added to the factory Ruger upper; just need to drill the upper for it. But then this allows use of a small dot optic like a Burris FastFire. Just a thought and other option.

Hope this helps some.

Take care,

Mark

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps I misunderstood your post but Burris makes a mount for the Fastfire that fits right into the rear dovetail of the Ruger semi-auto pistols with adjustable sights (and may work on the fixed sight models but I don�t know that for sure), both Mk II and III that I know of. No need to drill and tap, the rear sight slides out very easily and the Burris mount slides right in.

I posted some pictures here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Burris_Fastfire_II_on_a_Rug#Post3776470

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
B
Yes, that might also be a good option for the OP. I failed to mention it because I'm always thinking about modularity. The Picatinny solution works better for me. My bad. But you are correct, if the OP wants to try an optic like the Burris he might choose the alternative mounting solution you recommended. Thanks for pointing that out. smile

Last edited by BookHound; 10/04/11.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for the input guys. I actually have two Mark II's because my gunsmith told me he didn't want to tap my 5.5" SS and it may be easier to find a factory tapped gun. That is all the excuse I needed to pistol shop and now have a government model rigged with a clunky red dot sight.
So I want to set up the old 5.5" with the fiber optic to use the holster I have and use the new one for really dark skunk shooting!
Its never a sin to have two specialty pistols if you can justify the reason to have them!

I was thinking of putting a burris fast fire on the new one or possibly a browning reflex optic sight I heard about.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Browning sight looks intriguing. At $49.99 MSRP it's one fourth the price of the Burris. It uses a regular Weaver mount which comes supplied standard with the Mk III Rugers.

I like the Burris sight but Burris wants ridiculous amounts of money for each mount.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,020
Posts18,500,437
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.