-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My dad has this Colt 6940 or something, the 16 inch LE carbine. In the part swaps, I decided to measure the buffer weight, the old one coming out and the new one going in.
Old -- 1600 grains
New -- 1298 grains.
So, anyone want to tell me what effect more or less weight in the buffer assembly will mean? I have some ideas, but I want to hear some of yours. Please.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The lighter buffer will reduce recoil but make the rifle cycle faster. This MAY cause issues, like bolt-over base malfunctions, failures to extract, and probably a few others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A heavier buffer will actually reduce felt recoil because of the increased dwell time. But were talking about recoil from a .223/5.56 so its not much difference. The H and H2 buffers are the most reccommended for 16" barrels with carbine length gas systems.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CBMJR
A heavier buffer will actually reduce felt recoil because of the increased dwell time. But were talking about recoil from a .223/5.56 so its not much difference. The H and H2 buffers are the most reccommended for 16" barrels with carbine length gas systems.

H2 buffers work best in M4's because they slow down the gas impulse the the carrier. They do increase recoil, this is just simple physics. Don't believe me? Then why does JP make this:

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7_bc.php

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are right. H2 buffers do slow down the cyclic rate. But they do not increase felt recoil. If anything, compared to a standard buffer, they will reduce it. Dont try and figure it out with an equation, its very simple. More weight to push back = longer dwell time = milder recoil impulse. If you still question my approach, do a google search. The topic has been well covered on various forums by people who really know their stuff. If you cant find anything i'd be happy to PM you some links to the subject.

The link you posted was to a low mass carrier, not a buffer. It should be used in a rifle with an adjustable gas system or gas system designed for light weight carriers and buffers. This is popular with 3-gunners. Just because its light doesn't make it recoil less.

Last edited by CBMJR; 09/17/11.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CBMJR

The link you posted was to a low mass carrier, not a buffer. It should be used in a rifle with an adjustable gas system or gas system designed for light weight carriers and buffers. This is popular with 3-gunners. Just because its light doesn't make it recoil less.

It is popular with 3-gunners precisely because it recoils less. They also take the weights out of the buffer with the low-mass carrier. This ain't complicated, less reciprocating mass equals less recoil. When you shoot a gun set up like this the first time, you'll think it misfired.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Again, do some research on the topic.

B
B
CBMJR is absolutely correct. A heavier buffer increases dwell time and slows the carrier's rearward travel. It does not increase felt recoil, it reduces felt recoil. The same result is achieved by changing the recoil spring to a stiffer spring. However, as pointed out already changing buffers and recoil springs can throw the firearm out of time.

Mark

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (2UP, 160user, 35, 345dl, 338rcm, 300Sav, 20 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,575
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.