Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Built a 6x45 for my young boys and I'm hoping some folks can share some experience with their bullet experiences on deer. I've killed a pile of deer with .243's but all with Barnes tsx's and Nosler partitions. I'd like to load lighter bullets than those in the 6x45 and there really aren't any premium .243 diameter hunting bullets lighter than 80 grain ttsx's.

I couldn't get 80 grain ttsx's to shoot well at all - groups were between 1.5 and 2 inches, but I got 65 grain V-max's to shoot .415 at 3050 fps and 70 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to shoot .750 at 2900 fps. I've killed a pile of coyotes with V-max's but never tried them on deer. I'm leaning toward the BT's. I'll be limiting them to 200 yard shots. Would appreciate any other suggestions/experiences. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used a 70 gr BT to kill everything from coyotes to antelope, with the velocities you're talking, only from a .243. I would think it would be a fine bullet to use. sierra SP in 85 gr IIRC aren't a bad way to go either at modest velocities like you're talking. of course expect a few guys to come along and say only a fool would use a BT.

since your question is which one is the BEST, thats open to interpretation. nosler also makes an 85 gr partition that I think would do just fine

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Only one deer to date with the 6x45, shooting 70gr Ballistic Tip. Went in just behind onside shoulder to took out part of shoulder going out. Deer ran maybe 20 yards.

I also plan to run some 80gr Winchester PP's in the near future.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 85 Partition prints well in my M7, though the kids haven't kilt anything with it.......yet.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The 80 grain Winchester was accurate and pretty fast for me.

The 80 grain Remington bullets looked like they were made from a plato mold FWIW...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington Core-Lokts.....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If the 85 gr NP shoot they would be my first choice. If not try the other 80-85 gr cup and core bullets. You don't really need premium at the speeds you are shooting.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Give the 85 grain boat tail Speer a look.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swampman700

Ha! Worst bullet ever. Wouldn't shoot them if they were free. I personally have seen them fail twice on elk and have heard of many more failures.

Will try the partitions even though they are pretty heavy for the 6x45 and will likely stick with the 70BTs. Thanks for the input.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not my favoritest bullet out there, but I gotta say that comment says a lot about the user- and defames a lot of other very similar bullets as well: Hot-Cors, Interlocks, Power-Points, etc.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
but I gotta say that comment says a lot about the user-

What exactly does that say about the user?

2 bull elk. 180 grain coreloks, 3000 fps at the muzzle out of .300 Win mag. Hit squarely in shoulder at 135 and 200 yards. Broke shoulder, blew apart on impact. 1 elk killed 1 month later - wound had healed, still had broken leg. Other elk seen following season with limp, but living fine.

It's not defamation if it's the truth. Just sharing my personal opinion of core-loks based on personal observation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That doesn't prove that they're "the worst bullet ever" by any means. It might easily say something about how they were applied however. That is not different than how any number of other cup and cores work when applied in that way at those speeds. Should an educated user simply take the manufacturers word on what a product's ideal applications are? Or is it incumbent upon the user to know how the product works? (I think we already know that answer since many folks on a place like this are more than willing to share their accuracy results. Obviously there is more than just accuracy involved in hunting bullet performance.)

In the case of the 6X45 for deer, many cup and cores will probably be very well suited including Interlocks, Core-lokts, Power-points, and others. I would not even overlook trying (on targets and media) a bullet like the 80 HP Power-lokt. I know that is typically a varmint bullet at 243 Win speeds, but it may work more like a decent hunting bullet at more sedate speeds.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"Worst bullet ever" is of course a slight exaggeration. Worst bullet I've ever used on game? Absolutely. And I killed a few spike elk with them before I had the failure and watched the second. After losing a very nice bull at a reasonable range, hit exactly where I aimed, it was obvious to me they were poorly suited for elk. These were factory remington 180 grain Coreloks that shot sub .5 moa in my Ruger .300 Win. Was reading another post today on this board and saw a failure of a corelok out of a .300 Savage - much slower speed and blew up on a deer shoulder. I've heard more bullet failures with coreloks than any other bullet - probably by 20 fold.

The way I see it, we invest so much time in building rifles, bedding, handloading, shooting, scouting, planning, and traveling to our hunt. My hunting time is very limited due to a hectic work schedule. I'll pay an extra dime or two a bullet for something that works every time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Killertraylor

The way I see it, we invest so much time in building rifles, bedding, handloading, shooting, scouting, planning, and traveling to our hunt. My hunting time is very limited due to a hectic work schedule. I'll pay an extra dime or two a bullet for something that works every time.

Agreed. I also think it is important to include bullet testing in the pre-hunt hand loading and shooting process. I believe many people are mislead by the fact that a bullet or load shoots so well that they fail to consider what that bullet will do when it hits flesh and bone. A person ought to have a clue before they decide to drive a fast 'soft' bullet into big bones or a slow 'hard' bullet into fluffy lungs.

I'm sure there's a cup and core that will work very well for deer in the 6x45. Which one is the best choice? I don't know, but I'd shoot several types to find out, and I wouldn't fine-tune a load for accuracy until I was satisfied that the bullet would expand properly without being an exploder. If I didn't have time to mess around with bullet testing, I think I'd probably just take a 243 or bigger, grab a couple boxes of Federal Partition loads, do enough shooting to satisfy my needs there, and carry on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swampman700

Exactly WHICH Remington Core Lokt bullet would be appropriate for deer with a 6x45??

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I would not use 65gr. bullet on deer.If it hits a hard bone the bullet my not penetrate or fragment into pieces.Fast small bullets tend to explode!I would stay with the Barnes 80gr or even bigger.Some deer seem like there bullet proof with a strong will to live.I'll take a bigger bullet over speed anyday.Just my two cents.Good luck hunting?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You do appreciate the small size of the cartridge being discussed, right?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Yea it's a great screamer,I just would take a bigger bullet that's all...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
OK, you don't see it.

It's not a screamer, it's a little 6mm. The 80 grain Barnes is quite long for it's weight, eating more of the already limited powder capacity. So that will reduce velocity potential, and for best terminal effect the Barnes thrive on velocity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
never would have thought a 6-223 was a screamer??? guess you learn something new every day??? or not......

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Amos63, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,920
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.