Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW..dude!
My good friend here in Charlotte was a Marine in '68 and lost a guy from his company after a firefire,he was running from troop carrier to troop carrier,count heads, calling names, packin up put to pull out when he was hit by a lone rifle round and later Medicv' out. Ten years,Bob is a cop in Jacksonville,NC called out for a barfight,as punches are being thrown, the first guy to get cuffed was my freinds missing Marine from that day in '68!!You never know..

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This has been a good thread.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
Part 2...

as a kid growing up around Vietnam going on, to this day, I have to admit, no phrase lights my fuse, or turns me into a junkyard dog, more than the Term "Baby Killer"...

I saw so many long haired hippies making trips to the airports just to harass and spit on returning Vietnam Vets...shouting accusations at these guys, even the ones ( or especially the ones) returning home in a wheel chair, or on crutches..

I've seen hippies screaming at guys in wheel chairs " I hope you never walk again Baby Killer!"... or " you got what you deserved hahahaha!"

This is why I have no respect for Gus.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TexasTBag
Part 2...

as a kid growing up around Vietnam going on, to this day, I have to admit, no phrase lights my fuse, or turns me into a junkyard dog, more than the Term "Baby Killer"...

I saw so many long haired hippies making trips to the airports just to harass and spit on returning Vietnam Vets...shouting accusations at these guys, even the ones ( or especially the ones) returning home in a wheel chair, or on crutches..

I've seen hippies screaming at guys in wheel chairs " I hope you never walk again Baby Killer!"... or " you got what you deserved hahahaha!"

you don't need to respect Gus unless you choose to do so. i got my time in, and got out as a Spc 5, as a draftee type. i did my job, and my NCo, and related Officers appreciated my extra-efforts.

you, my friend, have yet to prove anything to me, or anyone else on the Campfire, except to be a curmurgeon. grin

oh, are you a draftee that served, or are you a internet warrior? wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The guys returning home today get cheers and tears. They deserve it. As you pointed out, we got insults, spit, piss, and feces thrown at us. On the plane they kept telling us that it might happen, and if it did to not react in any way - and especially not to touch any of them because they'd file assault charges against us. Being hit with feces apparently didn't count as assault on us.

You must have been Air Force, they didn't tell the Air Cav about that. Back from the first tour I put 3 Hare Krishna units on their azz in the terminal at San Fran, or Oakland, don't remember precisely where I was. Weren't much of an accomplishment really, they expected me to stop and chat, guess they were surprised. Air Cav with an 80# duffel on the shoulder is a lot of inertia....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chapped_lips
And,Doc,like i said at the beginning and the end of my post......not to discredit you.

It's just that for so many decades the other side hated us......targeted us......demeaned us.......used us.

I actually had a young mother in the old San Francisco International airport pull her young daughter away from me as i was waiting for a flight out. I was wearing my dress blues. In a not low-enough whisper,she said "Come,dear,he's from Vietnam."

I often wonder if that little girl....now grown....remembers that. People around us heard her mom and no one said a word to her or me. After a couple of minutes i gathered my stuff and found a piller to lean on.
At least that pole was lending some support.

Know you're not looking for advice but...let it go...accept the fact that you are better than people like that, we all were, and still are. They are that 10% that never catch on and aren't worth a second thought. Even if they are on fire.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Go ahead. Absolutely GORGEOUS country. Central Highlands around Pleiku. Coastal areas around Phan Thiet and up to Cam Ranh Bay and points between. You can go to TLee's old battlefield at LZ X-Ray, or a few of mine like Soui Ca Valley and parts of the A Shau Valley. I couldn't go back myself. The minute I saw a Red Star on a helmet, I'd go back on kill mode.

That makes two of us Jim, I will never get past, just can't do it. I pulled too many wounded back to base and way to many bodies, I will NEVER forget!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Gus
Part 2...

you don't need to respect Gus unless you choose to do so. i got my time in, and got out as a Spc 5, as a draftee type. i did my job, and my NCo, and related Officers appreciated my extra-efforts.

you, my friend, have yet to prove anything to me, or anyone else on the Campfire, except to be a curmurgeon. grin

Internet Warrior grin I'm no curmurgeon either, at 32 I think the proper term is a hole.

I just have no tolerance for comments that can make any of our solider heros feel bad for doing their jobs. Don't they already suffer enough from depression and PTSD?

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Re:
"54 soldiers on attended Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia . (I wonder why so many from one school?)"

Wow - I thought my high school contributed more than its fair share (seven - with one MoH, IIRC) - due, in part, no doubt to being the closest high school to Fort Benning, GA (even closer than the Poobah's). My schoolmates had lots of brothers and fathers in 'Nam; the father of one survived his stint as a POW.
Memory may fail me here; but I think there are 13 Ivy League graduates listed on the Wall.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus
Part 2...

Internet Warrior grin I'm no curmurgeon either, at 32 I think the proper term is a hole.

I just have no tolerance for comments that can make any of our solider heros feel bad for doing their jobs. Don't they already suffer enough from depression and PTSD?

thank you for your response. as a 32 year old, you're about the same age of my youngest son. he didn't face the draft or anything similar.

i was drafted, and was willing to do my best in an unfortunate set of circumstances. they (the Army) didn't need me, but they asked for my assistance anyways.

when a National Gov't like the US, under the control of Pres. Johnson, Defense Secretary McNamara, and General Westmoreland can define the lives of tons of draftees and volunteers, alike, then who's to complain? the people who disagreed, and fled to Canada??

you sound like some child who protects his Father under all circumstances. My Father told you to do that, and i'm his child, and i want you to follow his orders. Get it? no, we don't do that anymore...get it? grin

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
August 26, 1969 5 men from my home town's national guard unit in Manchester, NH were killed in Binh Duong Province, South Vietnam when their truck hit a land mine. If I recall, they were 1 week from coming home. All 5 were friends from Manchester. Very sad, but just 1 of hundreds of stories like it I bet.

Last edited by fatjack34; 10/05/11.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The guys returning home today get cheers and tears. They deserve it. As you pointed out, we got insults, spit, piss, and feces thrown at us. On the plane they kept telling us that it might happen, and if it did to not react in any way - and especially not to touch any of them because they'd file assault charges against us. Being hit with feces apparently didn't count as assault on us.

You must have been Air Force, they didn't tell the Air Cav about that. Back from the first tour I put 3 Hare Krishna units on their azz in the terminal at San Fran, or Oakland, don't remember precisely where I was. Weren't much of an accomplishment really, they expected me to stop and chat, guess they were surprised. Air Cav with an 80# duffel on the shoulder is a lot of inertia....

I had been back for a few months when I met up with an airport SOB in San Diego that really didn't love his country or respect members of the military. I missed my flight that day and lost my good conduct medal as well. But he got the hell beat out of him. Although the CO didn't want to, he had to spank my hands. "Can't whip up on civilians" he said and gave me 30 days in the brig which he quickly suspended. As I was walking out he shook my hand and said well done Doc.

Those were bad times for all military. Our own people had turned on us. Can't tell everyone how great it is to see the way our guys are treated now. God bless them all. They deserve our respect and admiration.

Jim

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you volunteered didnt you get your pick of MOS? If drafted
most likely you would be 11B, 13B, 19L, etc.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Also, its been awhile but at FT Sam Houston Cemetary in
San Antonio, TX there is a small section of several young
men from FT Hood, TX who are all killed in a fire fight in VN.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My prefix was RA when there WAS a difference. What I keep in mind to this day is that those who ran,those who [bleep] with us, those who rioted and committed acts of domestic terrorism (Bill Ayers,Bernadine Dorn et.al.) never kept faith with anyone or anything. Those types of creatures deserve no consideration in any way from any of us who went. I wish them misery and no good fortune. I don't forgive. That is Gods' prerogative.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
It ALWAYS hurts to see that Wall.

First time I saw The Wall in DC, I found the name of my best friend from growing up... and also a few of my folks friends, I remembered from earlier in my childhood.

I turned to my wife with tears over my best friend Mike..and told my wife, 'as I see all these names and seeing the ones of people dear to me, I feel remorse for not going over there and serving my time...'

with that I felt a blow between my shoulder blades and my face was slammed into the Wall... then I was spun around, and here was this scrawny guy who came up to my shoulder and he shoved my back into the WALL...

" Listen A Hole! There are 58,000 guys on this wall that their families wished their sons had never had to spend one day in 'Nam.... If you managed to dodge going there, you should thank God every day of your life!!! You Dumbazz MF!!"

He let go of me and walked off cursing my words and me for saying them...

Every time I think of Vietnam, I thank God I didn't have to go over there... and quite frequently I asked God to Bless that man, where ever he may be....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seafire, what do you ask God to bless him with?

I am..........disturbed.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.