Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For myself, I tend to go the quiet route.

When I do try to rattle or grunt deer in, it seems I chase them over to the next county.

What works for you?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I try the quiet act but at my age grunts, rattles, and bleats just seem to emit from my body. frown

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've rattled and grunted in deer successfully, but usually go the quiet route. There's just something about making a bunch of racket while hunting that goes against all I've been taught about hunting.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I snore, it seems to help, they get curious to see what's making the strange noises..........

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kind of depends on what I had to eat the night before. Burritos are always a bad choice.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
During regular season, I don't find much use in grunting, rattling, etc. I have used a Can Bleat a couple of times...that seems to help out a bit, but only in small amounts.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of my deer hunting these days is stalking silently along a trail, deep in a swamp or hard wood hammock. I try to not make any noise at all.

I do carry a grunt call, and If I see a deer off the trail a bit, I'll use the call to get the critter to stand still so I can kill it.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just fart at regular intervals. Seems to work on both hogs and deer..........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
I try the quiet act but at my age grunts, rattles, and bleats just seem to emit from my body. frown

lolol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt quietly, but have been known to Naaaah like a goat to get an animal stop and look.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mostly all I do is still hunting. There's one place I've done some spot and stalk. The answer is then I go the "stay quiet" route.

I played with grunts a little a couple years ago after I'd tagged out just to see how it went. I scared off a number of deer and attracted none.

I haven't tried rattling yet. I tagged out saturday so this would be a good year to experiment, nothing to lose now.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually go the quiet route. But, there have been a few times where I've heard a bleat or a grunt back in the woods. When that happens the pan has been primed and a little noise back and forth sometimes brings an animal into view, sometimes very cautiously, sometimes charging in ready to kicks some butt.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Most of the time I go the quiet route but I do like to rattle a few times a half hour before I get out of the stand in morning. How aggressive or playful the rattling is depends on how close to the rut we are.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have killed more buck rattling than i have being quiet. Very seldom hunt in Nov. or Late Oct without rattling and grunting. It works about 50% of the time.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Since getting mature i do a lot of 'buck snorts', especially after pinto beans.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several years ago you could stop a walking buck with a grunt call every time, but I guess there is enough random grunters in the woods now that they pay no attention to it. I have had them act like they don't even hear it even though I know it is loud enough that they did. I know people that grunt at intervals all the time they are on a stand and they kill some deer. I don't know if it is because of it, or in spite of it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot my first deer that I called in, an 8pt WT that ran to me w/another buck opening weekend! Must have been before the rut, but used it many times w/good success. DG-87 below:

http://www.haydels.com/pages/deercalls.html

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I've used a grunt to stop a moving deer for the shot, and I once used it to call back a forkhorn that I shot at with a ML and missed. He wasn't too bright, but was tasty.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The only thing I called in was another hunter stalking me. I was rattling and grunting and I heard a grunt off in the distance working it's way towards me. Every so often it would stop and start raking the trees, snapping branches, and kicking up leaves. My heart about burst through my chest, just as the sound was about to come through the brush I saw a the face of the hunter. He came through the brush saw me, waved and then turned around. a$$hole had no orange on, a set of deer antlers in his hand, and was on private property. I think he had a death wish

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I am quiet except that I will do a short quiet bleat (with just my mouth/no call) to stop a deer for the shot and only if nessesary.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,587
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.