Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I do all of the above.

Not big on the rattling though. I've only seen it work once when I did it. I'm sure I bust more of them from the movement of rattling than I bring in.

Grunting and doe/fawn bleats I've have work enough to keep using them.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by noKnees
I am quiet except that I will do a short quiet bleat (with just my mouth/no call) to stop a deer for the shot and only if nessesary.

That's all I've done, though I have to confess, I'm still trying to learn this whitetail hunting thing. It's a bit different from moose & caribou hunting. laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seems any noises I make are enough to get the after burners kicked in in short order. How did the old timers bag anything without grunts, bleats, rattles, and boomer Magnums?

Last edited by 1minute; 10/11/11.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
I try the quiet act but at my age grunts, rattles, and bleats just seem to emit from my body. frown

I hear that Scott.

But to answer, I have always been a spot & stalk hunter.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I do all of them. Little bit different up here than whitetail hunting though.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a serious case of STFU when in the woods.

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As most here already know, my wife and I go to Anticosti Island every year. We are due to leave again this November 17th.

Up there, it's a whole nother dimension of deer hunting,,,,,,,,HONEST. I would imagine deer density and buck to doe ratio are the biggest contributing factors. Both my wife and I are very successful with both. We have both rattled them in with no grunting, and grunted them in with no rattling. And we have brought deer in doing both. We have brought them in not knowing they were there before and we have brought them in seeing them before we called or rattled. Talking to folks I am of the opinion that when we grunt we grunt with a tone that is too low in pitch. Mimicking an old mature deer. I have seen deer turn and run to these calls. After I got a little experience calling, I learned that a higher pitch call has better results. It scares less deer away and if there is a big ol' bruiser nearby, he'll "generally" come in for a looksee. Rattling, I always start by just clicking the antlers together. I never "bang" them together, but rack the tines together to try to imitate pushing and shoving. I have NEVER called in or rattled in a deer in the New Hampshire woods, EVER. OTOH, I have NEVER NOT called or rattled deer in on the island. It doesn't work EVERY time but it does at least 50% of the time.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be interested to try more of the rattling up here. I've heard it can work. I use a bleat pretty exclusively during the rut. Plenty of bucks come running into those. However, as Calvin says, it's a bit different up here than whitetail hunting.

When I lived in ID, I grunted in a nice buck one year. Had a pard rattle in one later that same day. Otherwise it was pretty quiet, still hunting most of the time.

Deal with it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I occasionally fart, cough and sneeze.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
While I generally scare any deer over to the next county if I try to call them in, I once called in a beautiful 12 point with the slightest click of 2 antlers. Came crashing in and stood perfectly broadside from 25 yards away but as luck wood have it, my peep sight came off as I pulled back.

I've also been able to get a buck to turn back towards me with a light grunt. If I want a deer to stop, a light quick whistle has never failed me(Grandpa taught me that trick). Bleating has never worked for me but I hear it has for others.

I suppose it's different for us archery hunters who need a deer to get within 25+/- yrds for a shot. Frustrating seeing a nice buck off in the distance but I've got to the point I'd rather just take my chances being quiet. Hate giving away my position more than anything.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I stay quiet unless I see a buck heading the wrong way. Then I might grunt or rattle to head him my way.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Irving_D
The only thing I called in was another hunter stalking me. I was rattling and grunting and I heard a grunt off in the distance working it's way towards me. Every so often it would stop and start raking the trees, snapping branches, and kicking up leaves. My heart about burst through my chest, just as the sound was about to come through the brush I saw a the face of the hunter. He came through the brush saw me, waved and then turned around. a$$hole had no orange on, a set of deer antlers in his hand, and was on private property. I think he had a death wish

Once I THOUGHT I heard another hunter grunting in the woods, I was on a pipeline in a stand, I ignored it for awhile, about 15-20 minutes later I made a few grunts, a nice 8 pt stepped out - and I am 99% sure what I had THOUGHT was a hunter blowing a call, was this deer I shot about 115 yds down the pipeline. He came out looking my direction. There was nobody hunting in the stand that was out in front where the deer obviously passed, as everyone had assigned stands and the one stand there was empty.

Had the same thing happen in a swamp back in college thinking I heard some hunters, and when I waded back towards 'them' I found Real DUCKS! smile They sounded worse then a good caller!

I often stay quiet awhile, and then later will use a call sparingly, just a few grunts, and silent for 20-30 minutes, then one more set. Then quiet an hour or so. Killed alot of deer when doing this......never knowingly hurt my hunting by calling, but like duck hunting, if the game is coming your way, and you know it, don't bring attention to yourself.

Another time hunting a swamp area in south LA, I ran off several deer while heading to the area I wanted to hunt, they had been feeding in a hardwood area on acorns. I got blew a doe snort/bleat 'wheeze' call a few times to try calming them into thinking I was a deer, as my sounding crunching on dry ground is what ran them off. I sat down w/in minutes and blew my deer grunt. Minutes later right at legal light, a small buck returned, I had my knees up and strained getting the eye relief on my 6x on a #1 270....dropped the deer so fast I never saw him fall during recoil - 150 BT was like a lightning bolt.

Yes, I am sold on using calls, but knowing when, and how often to call has to be thought out, not just random steady calling.

That said, if hunting pressure is steady, and esp. if you know others use calls, i.e. when after ducks, or bugling for elk, you have to be very careful not to over call.

Rattling..something I need to try more of...it seems to be pretty effective for many who do it.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
While I have not tried it myself,I have been with hunters in Va,WVa and Texas who have successfully rattled in deer. I,personally,have had success with grunt calls,especially at first light. I have one of those "bleats in a can" jobs but have never used it.

If I can bring in a deer with my grunt calling,then I assure you they're effective. FWIW,and I have no stake in the company,the below is one of my favorite grunt calls and it really does sound spectacular,with little effort.

It's on sale now,too.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Game-Calls/Big-Game-Calls%7C/pc/104791680/c/104725980/sc/104212980/Hunters-Specialties-True-Talker-2-Deer-Call/727882.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-hunting-game-calls-big-game-calls%2F_%2FN-1100094%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104212980%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104791680%253Bcat104725980

Last edited by isaac; 10/11/11.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Irving_D
The only thing I called in was another hunter stalking me. I was rattling and grunting and I heard a grunt off in the distance working it's way towards me. Every so often it would stop and start raking the trees, snapping branches, and kicking up leaves. My heart about burst through my chest, just as the sound was about to come through the brush I saw a the face of the hunter. He came through the brush saw me, waved and then turned around. a$$hole had no orange on, a set of deer antlers in his hand, and was on private property. I think he had a death wish

did the same thing elk hunting, this guy had a bugle and i had a cow call, my dad busted a bottle of elk urine in his coat pocket. any way, i'm calling, he's calling and finally we found each other, we started BS'ing and a group of about 6 cows came running at us and into the thick timber, and nobody got a shot off. These cows came with in 10 feet of us.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I prefer to sit quietly on the highest place I can find, behind my binos and spotter, looking into the wind, so I can spit Copenhagen all over the ground with no issues.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grunt on occassion and use attractant scents..

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Silent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually just fart, that brings 'em in closer every time!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I occasionally fart, cough and sneeze.

Dan

Now, when you get like me, and can do all three at exactly the same time, your sucess rate will go way up!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As of late, I make a drink, (a big one), grab a lawn chair, walk 50-100 yards from camp and sit with an unloaded Marlin. Heck, sometimes I'll even smoke a cigar. I usually see 5-7 doe's and just waive at them. They darn near walk right up to me.

Now if I really want to shoot something then I walk and walk and walk!

Best deer hunt I ever had was after a late-late morning frat party at the College of Charleston. I wore the same bright white oxford, jeans and docksiders I had on the night before and everyone made fun of me. Fell asleep in the ditch only to wake up to an 8 and 10 pointer standing darn near on top of me. I only had the heart to drop one and the other ran 25 yards and stopped. That was all it took so that one went down as well. None of the others saw anything and they weren't laughing after the hunt.

For me none of this covert stuff is worth going through. Right place, right time and God willing. Maybe that explains why I've yet to shoot a danged turkey.

Last edited by byc; 10/11/11. Reason: add

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,708
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.