Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I sure hate the thought of trying to hold back my vomit while I pull the lever for Mitts, I just don't like liberals regardless of party. sick

I also don't like the last 9 in Cain's plan, national sales tax won't stay 9% long.

You know things are pretty good here in Texas, not perfect but better than most. Smooth talk is still talk, I don't want anymore talk I want the republic restored... wink

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
Just got in and did not see any of the debate....did Cain help himself or hurt himself tonight?

I think he helped himself, solidifying his position in the top three. Personal opinon is that Bach, Sant, Paul are out. I agree with the above poster that Newt is positioning, and had a great showing.

If Romney becomes the frontrunner, sure wouldn't mind seeing Newt as VP and Paul in some position to oversee the Fed (goodbye).

Question - Is there a low historical percentage of nominees selecting a VP from prior competitors?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally I'd setlle for no spefics on new stuff right now if they would just harp on (and actually carry out) the repeal of the stuff Obama has done via executive order, regulations etc...

Even if Cain was elected the odds of his 9-9-9 plan passing even if republicans held both houses would be pretty slim. While a president could roll back huge chunks of regulations that would help the economy and job production pretty quickly.

A new president could effectively neuter large chunks of the federal government like the ATF, EPA etc...with the stroke of a pen.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NathanL
As much as I hate to say it I don't think Perry is going to go over well in large chunks of the US - especially following 8 years of Bush. That's just the way it is.

I think even in TX a good portion of the people would hold their nose and vote for another candidate as long as they aren't Obama.

I've made your first point more than once here on the 'fire.Everyone denies it but the truth is that NONE of his detractors here know enough about him to dislike him so intensely.

Truth is,I'm just disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm for the 2A as a PRIMARY campaign issue here on the 'fire.It doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling that my grandkids will enjoy the freedoms we have as far as guns , when a gun crowd belittles it.

Ever who ends up as the "R" nominee won't even visit Texas,except to raise money.Obama couldn't win here if his opponent was hoof and mouth disease.grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northwestalaska

The GOP establishment and the left-wing media want a RINO and the conservatives in the party don't.

Help me out with that one... How do "They" keep the conservative from getting any traction? Bachmann is a good example as is Perry. But many can argue that Perry is anything but conservative on many core issues. [/quote]

No need to even try to play that game with me. Everyone saw what the media and lefties like you have done to Bachmann,Palin, and every other conservative that the left sees as a threat.

Last edited by 280shooter; 10/11/11.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The East/West Coast Mafia is tough to beat. There are a lot of people and they think/vote the same.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LBP
I sure hate the thought of trying to hold back my vomit while I pull the lever for Mitts, I just don't like liberals regardless of party. sick

I also don't like the last 9 in Cain's plan, national sales tax won't stay 9% long.
Exactly.. What's to prevent it from becoming 20-20-20??

I like Cain. But IMHO there's NO way Congress will accept his tax plan.. That concedes too much power - and they're ALL about power..

Newt did well.. Perry looked like he was lost in space.. I just cannot stand Romney... The rest are just chaff now..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"And the biggest frustration is all the other "playees" who remain clueless."

I've been wonderin' if you are talking here about how the NWalaska guy who started this thread has "gently" been guiding it along?

Once "WE" arrived at a consensus that Romney's nomination was inevitable , the "alaska kid" walked off whistling.

Does he think "WE" are that stupid?

Are "WE"?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perry's handlers gave him a simple talking point that's essentially "drill baby, drill" as his economic plan and that's about all he had to say on the subject. It was another bad performance and I expect his poll numbers will continue to decline.

Cain had nothing new. He's stuck on his 999 plan and starting to take heat from other candidates who point out the folly of creating another means for the federal government to tax people. Bachmann had a good comment on Cain's 999 plan saying �When you take the #999 plan and turn it upside down, the devil is in the details.� The coup de gr�ce for Cain will come when someone finally pins him down on how his 999 plan will raise taxes for most retired folks. Romney is holding off on delivering that fatal blow hoping Cain knocks Perry out of the race, and then it will be Cain's turn to go.

During the candidate asking other candidates questions segment Romney handed Bachmann as softball question about her economic plan. Romney knows that support for Bachmann will come mostly from Perry and that's the guy Romney is worried about.

Next week's debate will be do or die for Perry. If he continues to come off as a dunce he'll be heading for the exit. Not even his negative ad campaign is going to save him and might backfire with those looking to the general election where it's becoming more and more likely that it will be Romney vs. Obama.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
You seem to give nwa's posts the attention no one else gives them. Any of the 3 front-runners will beat Obama in 2012. Perry,my current front-runner,best have a superb economic plan out in the next couple of days and knock some socks off during the next debate or he will quickly start falling in the polling. He's still a player, having pulled in 17 million last month, but it will quickly dissolve if his team on the ground doesn't begin working double-time to reverse his debate failings. He has a good message and he needs to get it out there,post haste.

Cain is going to have some troubles now with his 9-9-9 plan as it will begin to be taken apart now in furtherance of Santorum's criticisms(seemingly validated by last night's crowd,the fact we must repeal the current tax code and the significant tax increase it will impose on those making 50K a year,or less.Lastly,his adulation of Greenspan really poked the hornet's nest. I'll wait and see how that comment impacts his numbers,if at all.

Romney is my McCain of 2008. 4th on my preference list but coming across as thoroughly prepared,sharp and presidential. His ground team has been superb and the other candidates have been completely ineffective in pointing out Romney's flaws to the extent they resonate with the voters nationwide. His 59 point plan,Cain's 9-9-9 and Perry's forthcoming economic plan will rule the Internet,talk shows and the next debate. Scrutinizing those respective plans and how each candidate responds will be key all the way through December and into the initial primaries. Perry,Cain and Romney need to address relations with China in their pitches as I believe it will become a key issue over the next few months.

Gingrich did well,especially as to the Fed Treasury,Frank and Dodd and he always seems a refreshingly candid participant in these debates. He's a way outside VP possibility only though,imo.

Bachmann,Huntsman and Paul,even though he made some fine points,are done and they all know it. With the exception of Paul,money will dry up on Bachmann and Huntsman and I'll be surprised if they can make it through the end of January.

In my opinion,we'll have our candidate before the SC primary as perry will have to drop out if his new plan is weak and his debating prowess continues to falter,money or not. His energy proposal should be very interesting.Cain will either continue to storm roll or fall by the wayside over the next 45 days. And,if conservatives across this nation don't begin to put a dent in Romney's plateaued polling numbers;and if Perry continues to stagger along with Cain's "all eggs in one basket" 9-9-9 plan,the smart folks here know what's going to be served for dinner.

Like I did with McCain,I will vote for whomever wins the GOP nomination. There's too much at stake to engage otherwise.

Last edited by isaac; 10/12/11.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huntsman - Not sure the China love fest is the tact he ought to be taking. I realize this isn't an 'objective' observation at all but he is honestly the most annoying person on that stage and whomever told him he was funny (likely in his childhood) should be beaten, severely and repeatedly. I'm not sure what he's attempting to hitch his wagon too except his self professed record. It'll be so much more productive when he goes away.
Santorum - It's ashame because it's not that I disagree with much of what he says but he constantly has this whinning, panicked air of desperation about him. He never misses an opportunity to cry 'not fair!' when it comes to air time either. Not exactly instilling confidence as a controlled leader. Attempting to hitch his wagon to ... manufacturing.
Bachman - What a shame. Completely inconsequential now as she continues to hitch her wagon to ObamaCare and doesn't realize there are 7 other wagons hitched there as well. Her attempt at articulating a new tax plan rang about as shallow/hallow as it could be. For a tax attorney, you'd think she could nutshell it.
Newt - Once gain, as usual, the most well versed and well spoken on the stage. Makes it that much more aggravating that he's done and said so many stupid things in his past. He is by far the best 'team player' up there and continues to attempt to keep the focus on dethroning O instead of eating each other. Good for him in that regard. He hasn't hitched his wagon to anything and doesn't need to. He's got 'em all covered. He'll stay in as long as the money is there.
Perry - It is amazing a man with that much political experience is that bad/flat in a debate format. That 'regular guy/down home' stuff surely plays to his home based constituency but it is just killing him on a national stage. He's honestly coming off as a deer in the headlights and I'm sure he's not. Again, it's about instilling confidence.... it's not working. Kudos to him for waiting until AFTER this debate to release his 'plan'. Buys him a little more time from it getting picked apart. I did notice his absolutely perfect pronunciation of that woman's spanish name. For some that might be an asset, it actually struck me as a bit disingenuous (reminiscent of Obama and "Pock-e-ston" even though I'm sure it wasn't. Attempting to hitch his wagon to domestic energy (aka oil and gas) production.
Cain - Part of me says it was folley to release the basic details of 999 so early but yet I take some confidence in the fact that it is exactly what seems to have gained him the growing support he has. Unfortunately for him, when it gets attacked, as straightforward as the plan is, you can almost never adequately counter it in 20 seconds to an audience that covers the gamut of knowledge on the subject or taxes in general. He is on solid ground with his plan but I doubt most Americans will take the 5 minutes to understand it and therefore be scared away. That is particularly funny since I bet if you asked the next 100 people you met what their affective overall income tax rate is, not a single one could tell you. JUST the way the pols like it....
He (or more accurately his 999 plan - which is obviously where he's hitched his wagon) certainly was the subject of most of the shots. In balance hard to say if it did much or any damage. Definitely the least political of the lot which of course is a liability in a national campaign.
Romney - No doubt 7 years of prepardness continue to serve him well. If one stance doesn't work, simply change positions and spin your previous 180stance into 'right for that particular situation, but wrong for now/the country. Definitely the best politician of the lot. I'm really tired of politicians. He's not a one issue guy (or one stance on one issue guy laugh ) so he's simply hitching his wagon to his perceived 'record of success' in business and governing.
The most telling thing about him in the debate to me was... each candidate was given ONE opportunity to ask ONE question to anyone on the panel. Now most everyone used it, and understandably so, as a chance to ask a front runner a pointed and hopefully damaging question about something they have done/said/or proprosed. The idea of course is to put your opponent on the offensive. So what does Romney do? He asks Bachman the bizarre open ended "What would you do to help the economy?" Huh?!?!?! Then I realized... no reason to attack anyone if you don't see them as a threat and don't ask any front runner a question to give them anymore air time. Just leave the cruise the control on and enjoy the ride as your opponents with the fractured base take each other out of the demolition derby one at a time. He's probably right. mad

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are only two real candidates, Romney and Perry. They are the only one's with any money. The rest are pure novelty.
The "Republican" Romney is more liberal than any Southern Democrat. Perry doesn't get along very well with yankees and hippies.
Romney will be a lot easier to bash when it's he against Obama in 2012. Hell, Obama and Romney have the exact same ideas and practices, remember? Oh...and he' not as "Christian" as Obama.

Congratulations to the MSM. They have proven who is still in charge.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Overall I'd say you pegged it pretty close.Since you don't like Perry , and I support him,it's to be expected that I think you're being extra harsh in your appraisal of him.For instance,the "National stage" you think rejects him includes a lot of "down home" folks.

Be careful you don't drift into the "elitism" class.grin

I'll be interested in your take on his encounter with the "witch".

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The MSM and the GOP establishment had chosen Romney as the candidate that will face Hussein.

Not a nickel's worth of difference between the two, IMHO.

This primary for the (R) nominee is about as rigged as a back alley poker game.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"Bachman - What a shame. Completely inconsequential now as she continues to hitch her wagon to ObamaCare and doesn't realize there are 7 other wagons hitched there as well. Her attempt at articulating a new tax plan rang about as shallow/hallow as it could be. For a tax attorney, you'd think she could nutshell it. "

Remember, her only tax attorney role was as a lower level IRS attorney, and I'm not sure how much of this practice involved tax policy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The MSM and the GOP establishment had chosen Romney as the candidate that will face Hussein.

Yup. Win-win for liberals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perry will stay in until Mitt has the delegates.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He needs to stay in. Romney is our worst case scenareo, next to Obama's re-election, and Perry is the only one with the money to compete.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
There are only two real candidates, Romney and Perry. They are the only one's with any money. The rest are pure novelty.
The "Republican" Romney is more liberal than any Southern Democrat. Perry doesn't get along very well with yankees and hippies.
Romney will be a lot easier to bash when it's he against Obama in 2012. Hell, Obama and Romney have the exact same ideas and practices, remember? Oh...and he' not as "Christian" as Obama.

Congratulations to the MSM. They have proven who is still in charge.

Who controls the MSM? The Lords of High Finance. And who are the Lords of High Finance? The Republican and Democrat establishment. Need I say more?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Yup. Win-win for liberals.

The biggest "win" for them is that Ginsburg and Kennedy will be replaced by Kennedy/Souter clones, and not by anyone remotely resembling Scalia, Thomas, Alito, or Roberts.

Further that with ObamaCare being "reformed" instead of "repealed", and that abomination stays with is.

The tax code will remain punitive to anyone below $1M/year income, except for the 50% that never pay a dime.

The only "change" we'll see is in the complexion of the socialist in the White House.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,347
Posts18,526,961
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.