Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I heard that bow hunting in E. Oregon this year was pretty bad because the rut started late. Any idea if this is true?

During our deer rifle season we heard a big bull right by our camp (10/5). It kept anyone in a tent awake for half the night. I have a bull season starting on the 26th and we're camping in the same spot and I was hoping the rut was still going on. Anyone know how long the rut goes for? If it�s still on would it be worth it to try to call one in with just a cow call or would I need a bugle to "sell it"? Is calling while moving around a good idea or should I stay put only to find a new spot to sit?

To give you an idea of our �usual� style of hunting - We typically let guys off every .5-.7 miles on a road and all head cross country on the same bearing to the next good road. Usually about 1.5-4 miles per hunt. Do 3-5 a day for deer and 2-3 a day for elk (snow and shorter days). Years with snow I take off on any new tracks for as long as the light will allow.

Sorry for all of the questions. I�ve never had the chance to use the rut to my advantage before (that is if the rut is still on when I get there). Thanks ahead of time for any advice or info you might be willing to share.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Using a very early morning locator bugle can sometimes head you in the right direction. Occasional cow chirping might help disguise your movements. Elk almost always make noise (sticks and footing, not always vocal) when they move, stealth mode is not as important.

But I think most do too much calling. Just playing around Saturday night, I got a couple bulls to answer just about every 3-toner I tossed at their resident herd. (They live in an elk infestation area, to developed to hunt, but fun practice)

Just as soon as the fun started, they all hung-up.

If a hunter were close after they went less vocal, bugleing would be a mistake. But a little cow-talk might sway some action your direction?

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of things work. Estrus cow calls work well. Cow chirps work. Neither of those are aggressive so bulls are more likely to respond, maybe silently, to those when they aren't in full blown rut.

Other things you can do are rake trees they've already torn up, splash around in a wallow a bit, thrash the brush nearby, and then set up for a shot. Messing with their dominance displays (wallows and rub trees) will get them wondering who else is playing on their turf and they'll come in to check it out.

[Linked Image]
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You can get off the road and bugle early in the morning at even at night that gives you a starting point. Don't bugle from the road unless your walking, I swear the elk know where the road is and they hear a truck door or some one driving and they will clam up quick if there is much pressure at all. I doubt that you will get a bull to come into a bugle at this point in the season. You might get a rag horn bull to respond and come into a cow call. I would try the sleazy mama calls that sound like a cow in heat and I would always have a mouth reed in. If you jump elk some times you can get them to calm down with soft cow call as long as your up wind. I have even seen a bark call used to stop a herd long enough for a shot they seem to stop and see what the danger is before re taking off and some times they will single file out rather than a mad dash in pile. Be aware of calling in other hunters?

I would not over call about the best you can hope for is a location bugle.

Last edited by ehunter; 10/12/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Load Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Alright thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to hassle my buddy that bow hunts to get some lessons.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle deer season is always a great time for the elk rut.

I remember hunting the Ochoco's one year for deer, and the bulls were screaming! It was very pleasing to lay there in the wall tent listening to the bulls bugle.

I have heard bulls bugle in late October/early November. Are they rutting still? Not likely, but possibly.

Having called to bulls that are definately rutting and finding them very wary and call shy I would not call during questionable times during the rifle season.

The only thing I want those bulls to hear from me is the crack of my rifle smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1lesfox, 1badf350, 160user, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 31 invisible), 1,833 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.