Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the actual rule, per the rule book of the NCAA - if the source citing it is correct:

NCAA bylaw 12.3.3 states that "any individual, agency or organization that represents a prospective student-athlete for compensation in placing the prospect in a collegiate institution . . . shall be considered an agent or organization marketing the individual's athletics ability or reputation." And the rules say that being shopped by an agent should make you ineligible.

so explain to me how/why Cecil Newton was not an agent for Cam after admitting to shopping his son around?

-WGM-

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
so explain to me how/why Cecil Newton was not an agent for Cam after admitting to shopping his son around?

It's really easy to understand, its because there's to much money involved.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't know if you're being serious, or snarky ...

-WGM-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm being serious. Who knows what the outcome would have been had Cam not been as good and Auburn not a contender. But when the stakes grew it was going take hard evidence, an exchange of benefits, for the NCAA to do anything to jeopardize the stakes.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bxroads
I'm being serious. Who knows what the outcome would have been had Cam not been as good and Auburn not a contender. But when the stakes grew it was going take hard evidence, an exchange of benefits, for the NCAA to do anything to jeopardize the stakes.

That's exactly how I feel ... and find it shameful that those "money issues" are even considered. To me, the rules were either violated or they were not ... and if they were, the rules should dictate whether or not he remains ineligible.

From what I can see ... and from the rule I quoted above ... I can't see how the outcome should be anything other than Cam being ruled ineligible ...

Like I said, I'm willing to swallow a decision like they made if it was in a gray area ... but from what I keep seeing, there is no gray area here, but the NCAA wants us to think there is ...

oh well ... nothing that any of us can do about it... but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

as much as it pains me to say this, congrats to AU for beating S. Carolina like a rented mule ...

-WGM-
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
But the media in their attempt to spin it.....

The only spin in this is coming from Auburn and the NCAA. It was determined a violation occured; a violation that resulted in the athlete being declared ineligible. But he was reinstated because there is no evidence the athlete or Auburn was aware or the violation???? BS. The NCAA and Auburn are trying to tell everyone Auburn's recruiters and everyone in the athletic department are stupid, right???? The recruiters knew very well everything going on with Newton and reported it to the home office. That's their job. When money was requested and the SEC was notified you know as well as I do the word spread like wildfire in the "community". And Cam mysteriously got over his desire to play for Miss St and his old coach. If, as the Miss St recruiter reported, CM did indeed state he was going to Auburn because "the money's just too much" that pretty much seals the deal. So has the NCAA concluded the Miss St recruiters are liars and the Auburn recruiters are stupid?? Apparently so. This stinks to high heaven. If there is any sense of reason and fairness left in the NCAA this investigation truly is not over. But for the time being, of course, Cam remains eligible; the best college quarterback money can buy. "Keep it down home cuz."

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Cuz, the investigation is as good as over. You can stick a fork in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spin it how you like. The facts remain the same. The NCAA said that if his father shopped him, he was ineligible. Within days, his father admitted to shopping him. The NCAA then decided that he was still eligible.The facts do not fit with the results. The Newton Exception is a farce.

Last edited by 280shooter; 12/04/10.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by shootem
But the media in their attempt to spin it.....

The only spin in this is coming from Auburn and the NCAA. It was determined a violation occured; a violation that resulted in the athlete being declared ineligible. But he was reinstated because there is no evidence the athlete or Auburn was aware or the violation???? BS. The NCAA and Auburn are trying to tell everyone Auburn's recruiters and everyone in the athletic department are stupid, right???? The recruiters knew very well everything going on with Newton and reported it to the home office. That's their job. When money was requested and the SEC was notified you know as well as I do the word spread like wildfire in the "community". And Cam mysteriously got over his desire to play for Miss St and his old coach. If, as the Miss St recruiter reported, CM did indeed state he was going to Auburn because "the money's just too much" that pretty much seals the deal. So has the NCAA concluded the Miss St recruiters are liars and the Auburn recruiters are stupid?? Apparently so. This stinks to high heaven. If there is any sense of reason and fairness left in the NCAA this investigation truly is not over. But for the time being, of course, Cam remains eligible; the best college quarterback money can buy. "Keep it down home cuz."

Agree 100% If Newton was a middle of the road player, he would have been gone!!! Some folks are stupid BUT, not that stupid!!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Technically it may be over, at least for now. However, the NCAA has stated that it's not 'officially' over ...

IMHO, what this means is that right now they are content with their decision based on the evidence that has come to light - at least publicly. However, it would surprise me NONE that shortly after, if not as soon as, Cam Newton has moved on to the NFL, that SOMETHING is going to change, and that the NCAA will end up saying that he was ineligible during his time at Auburn this season ... but of course, it will be too late to do anything about it ...

and further, they will likely not end up punishing AU because this "new evidence" will be something that AU (officially, if not really) didn't know about ... so therefore, AU will not suffer, and the NCAA will likely not even make AU vacate their wins ... their BCS title (should AU win it this year) will remain intact ... and who the hell knows what will happen with the Heisman.

Point being, while this entire situation is not good for the NCAA, and puts a black eye on them no matter what decision is rendered ... the best possible scenario for them AT THIS TIME is to keep their star player on the field ... which is precisely what they are doing. Dealing with it later keeps them from "screwing" Cam Newton, Auburn, the BCS ... and perhaps even the Heisman trust.

Comparing to Reggie Bush ... I can't say for sure if any of TPTB (USC or the NCAA) knew what was going on at the time ... but if they did, you can see how they kept it 'hidden' until after Bush was gone to the NFL. It was a MUCH easier thing for the NCAA concerning Reggie because to deal with it AFTER the fact ... AFTER USC and the NCAA had made their money off of him ... and they didn't have to remove him from football for his violations.

Again, that's the part of all this that disgusts me the most ... the NCAA is more than willing - and showing it yet again - to look the other way while one of their cash cows is breaking the rules ... I mean, they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them ... but they sure as hell don't mind doing it after all those checks are cashed, if only to make it APPEAR they are doing the right thing, and enforcing their rules.

it's such a joke ...

-WGM-
IC B3

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You sure hold a grudge.

Are you still steamed that Bill Arnsparger went to Florida and hired Spurrier? ( I recall a 53-3 game in there somewhere).

Still mad at Mike Archer and his record? He did win the "Earthquake" game. Even I got over that one.

I'm sure you haven't gotten over Curely Hallman throwing the ball in the 4th quarter against AU back in '94. Point is, time to give up hate. Rivalry is fun, but this is above and beyond.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it's the hate that's fun ... because it's only "sports hate" ... it's not like I wish Cam Newton would get a broken back and become a quadriplegic ... or that Auburn University would be stormed by a rioting mob and burned to the ground ...

I just don't ever want to see them win another football game as long as I live, unless it helps LSU.

On that note, I also "hate" the Yankees and the Dallas Cowboys the same way ... if either of those teams never won another game in history, it would be too soon for me.

-WGM-
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, then that makes it all very understandable. I suffer from Yankee and Cowboy fatigue too!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In sports, having teams you "hate" is JUST as important as having the teams you "love" ...

it's all part of being a rabid sports fan ...

-WGM-
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
GO Boise State!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Spin it how you like. The facts remain the same. The NCAA said that if his father shopped him, he was ineligible. Within days, his father admitted to shopping him. The NCAA then decided that he was still eligible.The facts do not fit with the results. The Newton Exception is a farce.

Sounds sort of like being put on "double secret probation" doesn't it?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lars Anderson, a Sports Illustrated writer, said today on the Paul Finebaum show that he personally spoke to a person with the NCAA working on the Newton investigation and was told that the investigation was over and the case is closed. Sports Illustrated never reports anything that can't be substantiated. Unlike the "E"SPN online blogs, SI never reported any of garbage. Its just a matter of time before it becomes public. Like I said when the NCAA cleared Cam, stick a fork in it, its done!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The deal for the NCG is done.

$cam got his money, then and now, Auburn got the title they didn't get a shot at several years back, and the NCAA got to square up some old debts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The deal for the NCG is done.

$cam got his money, then and now, Auburn got the title they didn't get a shot at several years back, and the NCAA got to square up some old debts.

Cling to that my friend, cling to it.

War Damn Eagle!

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (10Glocks, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 10 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 738 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,511
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.