Print Thread
Hop To
S
Skip23 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
While talking with a Canadian about hunting in Canada I mentioned that with luck I would be traveling to and through Canada several times in the next few years.
He said I might consider getting a PAL, he explained the basics of testing procedures and fee. I found a web site offering free sample tests of the CSFC and the CRFSC scored a 100% on both, after brushing up on P.R.O.V.E. They seemed very easy, I know they weren't the exact tests but I assume they were representative.
I know its not needed, but do anyone think it would be worth the trouble?
Is this the program they are thinking of doing away with?
Thanks in advance.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The government intends to do away with the federal registration of non-restricted "long guns".

Individual licensing (P.A.L) will be still be required.

"After consulting an RCMP forensics expert, the federal tribunal officially published its verdict online this week, decreeing that Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, is definitely not a replica firearm."

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Saskabush has it right.

As a non-resident,I don't know whether you can even get a PAL. I could be wrong, though.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
If its just one or two rifles..doing the border thing is really very quick. I realize that they do extract a fee, but overall compared to the Tag/guide costs I hardly noticed.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you read the CGL (Canadian Gun License) it states that it is good for 1 year from date of issue. Sched yer next hunt to be within that window and the license stays valid. No extra charge. At least that wuz whut mine said.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Evil Twin;
I hope this finds you and yours well this (finally!) cool morning sir.

This is just a question for you or any of our US friends who've obtained an out of country CFL.

Our PAL is a 5 year licence that has photo ID and seems to take about 2 months to get processed. I should add that because I'm licensed to own and trade certain restricted classes of firearms here it's a bit slower than some - or so I've been led to believe.

Anyway Evil Twin, I was somewhat surprised to read that your CFL expired in a year.

I'll have to do some research on my end, but do you or does anyone know if you could get a 5 year PAL if you wanted to?

Thanks in advance for any light shed on the subject. This is just an idle curiosity item with me and nothing more really.

All the best luck on your upcoming hunts this fall Jim.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, non-residents can get and hold a PAL. Same hoops must be jumped through as residents. Use Form CFAC 921, the same form as Canadians fill in to apply. One of the first questions is Are you a Resident of Canada. If not then you need to indicate where in Canada you are mostly going to hunt/use the firearms.(On the same form)
Would be worth it if you plan to hunt here often or purchase firearms here. Of course to take them back to the US etc, you would need to play the export/import game. I know of a couple folks who have jumped through the PAL hoops then just store the guns with a trusted Canadian family member or friend.
Just google Canadian Firearms Centre, all the info/forms are there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck Dwayne, I only know what is printed on the license. IIRC I paid a 25 buck flat fee for a rifle and a shotgun.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I know a gentleman from Washington state who frequently hunts in Alberta and BC who has a PAL and registered the firearms he brings to Canada and finds it very convenient when crossing the border. GRF

S
Skip23 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks I'll check into it further. It might be nice to have one. I'm looking at making some extended trips for upland birds and waterfowl in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
troutfly is right--Evil has the 1 year cert for $25 but a non-resident cn get the PAL --rather easily too. As troutfly says it will save time at the border--it will also cause you to lose time when stopped by the OPP or a CO. They can't seem to believe a non-resident can get one and have to call the office. The office then has to call the CFC cause they can't believe it either. Garunteed to screw up a mornings hunt cause it all takes time.

Brother Kieth comes from a different generation of law enforcement in Canada. Common Sense went out the window with gun registration in Canada.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I still work in the courts but not as a LEO, and all I can say is a hearty AMEN o my friend from Nipigon. New generation, and newer is certainly not always better. blush

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Go figger, a guy tries to be compliant with the law, simplify life all around and the law don't believe it possible! Sad state of affairs. At least the Border folks are up to speed on things.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.