GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Azar
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I'll carry a 130 gr 6.5mm tsx in the stretched out 264 brass tomorrow too.

You finally got those loaded? What was your final load?

Open to suggestions. My powder id IMR7828, primers are rem 9 1/2M, bullets are the previously mentioned 130 gr TSX flat base.

Haven't loaded any yet, possibly this weekend.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMR 7828 is a good choice. I've had luck with it in the 7mm RM. Just cross reference two or three sources for load data. You have a manual or two?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ND,

What do you have for sights on your 450? Scope? ghost ring?

Last edited by j_elky; 10/14/11.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
My 1895M is bone stock. I use the sights that marlin put on it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Azar, whitebear has a manual for me to borrow along with a bunch of cool RCBS gear.

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Two fiddy.

Dolla.

Limit, 5 each.

5.should be enough.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dave.

I have used 64 gr. of IMR7828 with the 130 TSX for 1.5" groups. Did not chrono that load but should be around 3100 fps. That is what I get with that load and 129 gr. Hornady IB's. I used Fed 215 primers.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I was really hoping to improve on my 1.5 -ish factory load groups with that rifle.

TSX is probably the wrong place to start for seeking accuracy but I might get lucky, never know.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about loading a half dozen each in a range from 60 up to 65 gr of powder.

maybe 60-62-64, see how that goes.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Dave, I replied on your other thread about loads, your on the right track.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
better than a broadhead I suppose... grin

I didn't think of that. Thanks, now I feel better today already!

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by j_elky
I'll stand with you ND. I've got a couple 280 empties I'll be carrying tomorrow, one vanilla and one Ackley, for my worry(rut) stones.

A .280 you say? I'm having Redneck build me a .280. I have to pick out the donor, which may happen this weekend, but I'm not going to push it.

If Dicks still has Remington 700 SS ADL's for $499 that will be the donor. Otherwise I think I'm going to do it on a Win M70 XTR action.

Tom,

Mine started as a stainless 700 mtn rifle in 280. I tried like heck to get it to shoot and it just wouldn't group well. I tried different bedding arrangements, different bullets, different primers etc. I picked up a slightly used 7-08 factory tube and sent the whole work off to the 'smith. It came back as a 280 ackley and the first three shots went into an inch and it does that everytime now. Mine rides in a Ti stock and I just love the darn thing.

Jeff

Jeff

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Consider me a participator in the Occupy Deer Stand movement. I will man my post until the venny is on the ground and the mission is accomplished.

stuck in the cities since yesterday for work. Had meetings with the Navy. I am sick of meetings. I need some gravel in my travel.

tonite, my brother is playing his first varsity football game in Buffalo, so i will stop there on the way back. My brother dislocated his kneecap, so he wasnt healthy until now in his Junior year.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'll check with my brother to see if he has any 450 ammo left. He sold his Guide Gun last month. He had shoulder surgery that required removal of a piece of bone. Doctor advised him to get rid of any hard recoiling guns, so bye bye 450.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman

stuck in the cities since yesterday for work. Had meetings with the Navy. I am sick of meetings. I need some gravel in my travel.

I bet you love this traffic huh? It is horrible. Takes me an hour to go 22 miles to work.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by j_elky

Tom,

Mine started as a stainless 700 mtn rifle in 280. I tried like heck to get it to shoot and it just wouldn't group well. I tried different bedding arrangements, different bullets, different primers etc. I picked up a slightly used 7-08 factory tube and sent the whole work off to the 'smith. It came back as a 280 ackley and the first three shots went into an inch and it does that everytime now. Mine rides in a Ti stock and I just love the darn thing.

Jeff

Jeff, I kinda forgot about the Ti stock route. I was going to run a McMillian Hunter on it. It all depends on what action I end up with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm support the "occupy deer stands" movment. I propose we get out of deer stands after dark and unite in brotherhood at the shack for giant prawns and tenderloin on the grill. Then return to our deer stands every day until all our tags are filled.

We'll crap outside if we have to. And only shower if the wind is wrong. Until the third day. Then showers are mandatory. We'll have beer. Lots of beer. Poker too.

If we keep this up somebody will notice. Somebody will give us what we want. Which I suppose is to be left alone?

Wood is Good.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
4- I would think that covers about everything perfectly.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Occupy deer stands is mostly a weekend protest because unlike the wall street protestors... we have to work for a living and we support ourselves and our families.

Also unlike the wall street protestors we shower (sometimes) and we clean up after ourselves. We don't do drugs in the deer stand or any nonsense like that.

But we do carry high powered rifles instead of protest signs and peace symbols.

It's a silent display of freedom and rights, and god willing it can also put some food in the freezer for our family.

It's clean, quiet, responsible, respectable.... I doubt the mainstream media will cover it.

Count me in Dave. I doubt that we'll get any union backing either.

Well, in disease and overpopulated areas you might see some union guys showing up looking for some money in exchange for a union contract.

Because everybody knows that's where the money is in this deer hunting gig. Over populated metro areas and disease areas.

Those areas get attention, attention gets funding, funds in exchange for eradication efforts.

And the efforts last for as long as the money lasts.

When the money is gone, the DNR will claim victory, i.e. �the disease is gone� or �the population has dropped to acceptable levels�

As long as the money is still there, efforts rage on and your deer numbers actually drop.

So, in a case like this (I can�t believe I�m about to say this�) A union appearance is a blessed thing.

See, If a union shows up because they smell wildlife management funds you may see a shortcut to a DNR declared victory.

Union will take all the money for the program in one big scoop and they will occupy the deer stands union style (nap time).

So, no deer will be harmed, the money will disappear, the DNR will claim victory and eradication efforts cease.

The only bad part about it is that 90% of the program funds will be routed directly to democratic party election efforts.

grin

Thank you, thank you� I�ll be here all day for questions.

As you can see, I am exceptionally intelligent today.

grin

wow dave i have read this thread for a long time, and thought you to be a better man than that. I am union Journeymen Wiremen, and find those comments not only off base, but very insulting. Ill be the first to admit that there are some useless unions (UAW is pretty high up there right behind teamsters) But dont lump skilled trades into that same cow pie, because some of the hardest working most ardent outdoorsmen i know are my local brothers, we take pride in the fact that we do the job Better, faster,and safer than the next guy, on time and under budget, or we get [bleep] canned and the contractor goes under. We care about our employers welfare because with out them we have no jobs, but they feel the same with, as without us, they wouldnt have a giant pool of excellent craftsmen to do thier projects like they are bid to done.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter
I'm support the "occupy deer stands" movment. I propose we get out of deer stands after dark and unite in brotherhood at the shack for giant prawns and tenderloin on the grill. Then return to our deer stands every day until all our tags are filled.

We'll crap outside if we have to. And only shower if the wind is wrong. Until the third day. Then showers are mandatory. We'll have beer. Lots of beer. Poker too.

If we keep this up somebody will notice. Somebody will give us what we want. Which I suppose is to be left alone?

Showers are Mandatory?!?!?

What self respecting deer camp doesn't have a good old fashioned, burn your azz on the planks, can't breath thru the steam saauuuuuuna!!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Occupy deer stands is mostly a weekend protest because unlike the wall street protestors... we have to work for a living and we support ourselves and our families.

Also unlike the wall street protestors we shower (sometimes) and we clean up after ourselves. We don't do drugs in the deer stand or any nonsense like that.

But we do carry high powered rifles instead of protest signs and peace symbols.

It's a silent display of freedom and rights, and god willing it can also put some food in the freezer for our family.

It's clean, quiet, responsible, respectable.... I doubt the mainstream media will cover it.

Count me in Dave. I doubt that we'll get any union backing either.

Well, in disease and overpopulated areas you might see some union guys showing up looking for some money in exchange for a union contract.

Because everybody knows that's where the money is in this deer hunting gig. Over populated metro areas and disease areas.

Those areas get attention, attention gets funding, funds in exchange for eradication efforts.

And the efforts last for as long as the money lasts.

When the money is gone, the DNR will claim victory, i.e. �the disease is gone� or �the population has dropped to acceptable levels�

As long as the money is still there, efforts rage on and your deer numbers actually drop.

So, in a case like this (I can�t believe I�m about to say this�) A union appearance is a blessed thing.

See, If a union shows up because they smell wildlife management funds you may see a shortcut to a DNR declared victory.

Union will take all the money for the program in one big scoop and they will occupy the deer stands union style (nap time).

So, no deer will be harmed, the money will disappear, the DNR will claim victory and eradication efforts cease.

The only bad part about it is that 90% of the program funds will be routed directly to democratic party election efforts.

grin

Thank you, thank you� I�ll be here all day for questions.

As you can see, I am exceptionally intelligent today.

grin

wow dave i have read this thread for a long time, and thought you to be a better man than that. I am union Journeymen Wiremen, and find those comments not only off base, but very insulting. Ill be the first to admit that there are some useless unions (UAW is pretty high up there right behind teamsters) But dont lump skilled trades into that same cow pie, because some of the hardest working most ardent outdoorsmen i know are my local brothers, we take pride in the fact that we do the job Better, faster,and safer than the next guy, on time and under budget, or we get [bleep] canned and the contractor goes under. We care about our employers welfare because with out them we have no jobs, but they feel the same with, as without us, they wouldnt have a giant pool of excellent craftsmen to do thier projects like they are bid to done.

Sigh...

Page 760 of 1,842 1 2 758 759 760 761 762 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 24 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.