I've been looking all over for that!

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LouisB
There is a site based somewhere up in the Pacific Northwest
That has a very interesting thread like this but some 25 pages long last time I stumbled across it.

Funny what we find out there.

That site is Ifish.net

There is something like 1500 posts on that topic.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kawi: My list of found items is a very long one!
Among the items I have found are Indian arrowheads, 25 million year old fossils, shed horns, all manner of Hunting equipment including knives, gloves, several game calls, a watch (I always inspect game kill/clean sites!), a pair of Zeiss binoculars (unfortunately they had been damaged when lost - Zeiss America helped me locate the owner via the serial number), a full box of 270 factory ammunition and a LED flashlight.
I have LOST several knives and a couple of pieces of Hunting paraphenalia over the last 50 years.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fun thread! Lemme think....The usual arrowheads,Indian pottery(parts of the Paunesegaunt are loaded with it)as well as lots of mule deer sheds;elk sheds, sea shell fossils at 9000 feet in Colorado;pieces of dinosaur bones in Eastern Montana...a dead Golden Eagle.Old cartridge cases...

A slate top grave sight with Indian and Russian inscriptions,near a remote bay on Baranof Island.....must have been 8" of moss covering the slate.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A pair of pants. label on the inside said - J. Hoffa. Did a Google search. Came up no known manufacturer. Figured that they must of been taylored cut.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Taconic.....think you found the burial site! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Hope it wasn't in Montana...
Nope.

or Wyoming

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
C
Me too....last year, while accessing our hunting area on ATV's (2 of us), I found two doe's standing in the middle of the road....and unwilling to move off the road. No no no, not what you're thinking....we each had a bull tag, cow tag...and I had a buck tag. Not a doe tag between us. Sat there for probably 10 minutes before they moved on.....*grumble grumble grumble*

About 100 yards up the trail, I found a brand spanking new "dead sled" critter hauler on the road. That one, I didn't need a tag for. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most fun find was while spring bear hunting ten years ago... bent down to pick up an old shell casing (30-06 stamped 1917) and right next to the casing was a fossilized Aspen-like leaf in a stone.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In 1980 I found an Indian scraper chipped out of quartz near Buffalo WY. in a cliffy hillside. Killed a nice 8 pt. buck that evening also.
In 1986 my buddy and I came across plane wreckage on a mountain near Hot Sulphur Springs, CO.. Local leo said it was a doctor, wife and 2 kids killed about 15 years prior. Couldn't make it over the mountain top due to icing and crashed - came straight down.
In 2000 hiked up to a rocky outcrop to glass for elk in NM. Sat up there, glassed, soaked in the sun, had some snacks and took photos. When I got up to go, I looked down and there below the large 5 foot rock was a black square looking metal object. Turned out to be the first generation Leica range finder. Still worked, was a bit weather beaten, had been snowed on and melted. When I got back home, I called Leica with the s/n inside the battery cover. No one registered the unit so no known owner.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 10/15/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by laker
Found a microwave about 2 miles from the nearest road in some real rough country.

Like yours I found an old cheap wood stove and coffee pot at the bottom of a hill two miles in.

Yeah, after they lost their wood stove, they decided to modernize and buy a microwave. Couldn't find a place to plug the damn thing in.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by eh76
Nope.

or Wyoming
Nevada, It was in a Lion's grave yard den approx 6000'. There were also some Mule deer horns, but I grabbed the better choice. It measured 155" according to the outfitter.

I was offered $600.00 from the outfitter(didn't realize it was worth that much). I refused & brought it home....closest I will ever come to killing one I suppose.

Last edited by slg888; 10/15/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kool find but just so you know in Wyoming ( Not sure about other states) even "finds" on sheep are supposed to be checked in and plugged by the G&F.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in 1973, my high-school buddy and I were rabbit hunting along the Salem River, and we happened upon a still that was in operation - the coals under the boiler were smouldering. We backtracked out of there in a hurry, but not before relieving the owners of a machete and a flashlight.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope.

or Wyoming
Utah, It was in a Lion's grave yard den approx 6000'. There were also some Mule deer horns, but I grabbed the better choice. It measured 155" according to the outfitter.

I was offered $600.00 from the outfitter(didn't realize it was worth that much). I refused & brought it home....closest I will ever come to killing one I suppose.

You sure it's legal in Utah? Reading their Administrative Rule, shown below, I don't see how a lion killed bighorn would qualify...

R657-5-21. Possession of Antlers and Horns.

(1) A person may possess antlers or horns or parts of antlers or horns only from:

(a) lawfully harvested big game;

(b) antlers or horns lawfully obtained as provided in Section R657-5-20; or

(c) shed antlers or shed horns.

(2)(a) A person may gather shed antlers or shed horns or parts of shed antlers or shed horns at any time. An authorization is required to gather shed antlers or shed horns or parts of shed antlers or shed horns during the shed antler and shed horn season published in the guidebook of the Wildlife Board for taking big game.

(b) A person must complete a wildlife harassment and habitat destruction prevention course annually to obtain the required authorization to gather shed antlers during the antler gathering season.

(3) "Shed antler" means an antler which:

(a) has been dropped naturally from a big game animal as part of its annual life cycle; and

(b) has a rounded base commonly known as the antler button or burr attached which signifies a natural life cycle process.

(4) "Shed horn" means the sheath from the horn of a pronghorn that has been dropped naturally as part of its annual life cycle. No other big game species shed their horns naturally.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kool find but just so you know in Wyoming ( Not sure about other states) even "finds" on sheep are supposed to be checked in and plugged by the G&F.

eh76;
I hope this finds you and yours well this fine and finally cool weekend. We're just back down the hill from our last weekend looking for 6 point bull elk and first weekend for immature bull moose. We've also got bear and whitetail tags still good to go, but wouldn't you know it, we only managed to see a young ram this morning. grin

As to finding horns in this part of the world, sheep found here in BC need to be plugged as well.

We had a die off here in the local herd of California's awhile back and I know a few folks who found dead rams. Nobody that I know had any grief from the MOE in getting the finds plugged.

To the OP, while out hunting I believe I've found a pocket knife once and one short and one long handled spade as well. Nothing too exciting for sure.

All the best luck to you all this season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Found a guy sitting on a stump who was lost and drinking out of a flask. He was pretty glad to see me. I drank a little from his flask and then moved on. The next day I was thinking and I'm not sure if I ever gave him directions on how to get out of the swamp. For all I know he could still be sitting there on that stump.

Last edited by NathanL; 10/15/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
You sure it's legal in Utah? Reading their Administrative Rule, shown below, I don't see how a lion killed bighorn would qualify...
Well, I didn't actually see the Lion kill the BH so..........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal

eh76;
I hope this finds you and yours well this fine and finally cool weekend. We're just back down the hill from our last weekend looking for 6 point bull elk and first weekend for immature bull moose. We've also got bear and whitetail tags still good to go, but wouldn't you know it, we only managed to see a young ram this morning. grin

As to finding horns in this part of the world, sheep found here in BC need to be plugged as well.

We had a die off here in the local herd of California's awhile back and I know a few folks who found dead rams. Nobody that I know had any grief from the MOE in getting the finds plugged.

To the OP, while out hunting I believe I've found a pocket knife once and one short and one long handled spade as well. Nothing too exciting for sure.

All the best luck to you all this season.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

It finally cooled off here this past week, but then today which is the opener for elk in my unit, it is almost 80 F and windy as can be. I decided to let the anxious hunters have the mountain and stayed home to get some chores completed.

Always enjoy your posts! Best of luck to you and yours this season.

Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Well, I didn't actually see the Lion kill the BH so..........

The point of our posts is to keep you from getting yourself in trouble with the G&F......possessing a non-plugged sheep skull can be a stiff fine at the very least.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,480
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.